Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Budget - next season

Behind Enemy Lines

Jul 18, 2003
London
Everyone knows Bloom will need to give Poyet sufficient funds to mount a serious challenge next season but at the same time, he must not jeopardise the club's financial well being by over spending. He's done pretty well so far so let's see. Poyet will bring in several new faces, some Bosmans, some with fees paid. A more realistic figure might be around a 10th of the absurd 30 million suggested, if that.

cuthbert

Oct 24, 2009
23 home matches at an average gate of 7000 and a ticket price of £20 gives an annual income of about £3.2 million. While I accept the club has other sources of revenue, TV money, cup and league prize money, sale of programs and replica shirts etc, it does seem that to spend £30 million a year would be tad foolhardy.

Mendoza

NSC's Most Stalked
23 home matches at an average gate of 7000 and a ticket price of £20 gives an annual income of about £3.2 million. While I accept the club has other sources of revenue, TV money, cup and league prize money, sale of programs and replica shirts etc, it does seem that to spend £30 million a year would be tad foolhardy.

Portsmouth seemed to cope with it ok though....

Jim D

Jul 23, 2003
Worthing
....Dick apparently came across quite resentful that Bloom has stolen his Falmer glory and was concerned that Bloom may be over spending, thus potentially putting all his sensible control on budgets over the years into jeopardy.....

Which makes the promotions we had under him while still spending loads of money fighting LDC, FPC and Baker all the more remarkable. If only we'd been able to use that cash on the playing side who knows where we could have got to.

GYM

Jan 4, 2010
Leeds
Everybody is assuming that the £30m is just a playing budget. At no point in the original post does it mention that.

It may well be that this "£30m" has to cover stadium rent backroom staff and all other aspects of running the business.

If this was the case then £30m might not be a bad shout.:shrug:

EDIT £30m is extreamly excessive I agree.

Last edited:

Herne Hill Seagull

Jul 10, 2003
Galicia
They're made by the Independent Supporters club, and sold outside the remit of Man Utd. Utd do not receive a penny from them.

Edit: on the budget, you've got to be having a laugh. The difference between Dick Knight's budgetary controls and 'somebody with enough money to own a football club' to paraphrase another post, is that if somebody spending £30million gets bored/goes bust himself/leaves for whatever reason, the club would be in deep shit without somebody else right behind him to pump the same sort of money in. I for one hope it's utter fabrication because for a club in League One, with a stadium not yet built, that would be utter madness.

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
"Spoke to a family friend who has 2 very good mates very high up in the Albion board.

Each of them told him that our budget is going to be in the region of 30 million, I thought he was pulling my leg when he told me.

Im expecting people on here to tell me im an idiot when I post this, but I am just passing on what ive been told".

I have for the first time in over 10 years of posting on NSC spat my coffee out all over the screen at that, I know some people pretend that they have done it but I just have LOL

patchamalbion

Feb 26, 2009
brighton
:clap::lol:
surely Henry is only £8 million now?....could bring in an ageing Totti for less,RAUL maybe for £5-6M....how much was Villa again?

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
On the scarves - did anyone see at one of the Pompey games - some of the fans were wearing pink ones. Apparently the original Pompey colours - and meant to represent "Where has the money gone ?".

mcshane in the 79th

Nov 4, 2005
If that included the entire wage budget for the year could it be more accurate? I have no idea what our annual wage budget is at the moment though so not sure how stupid that suggestion might be!?

Edit: Just read the thread properly. Ignore me :down:

magoo

Jul 8, 2003
United Kingdom
I think there's a little game within the club to see who can indirectly get the most rediculous rumour on NSC.

Either kalinx or bensgrandad are winning! or losing depends which way you see it...

porkypie

On the road to no where
Oct 31, 2009
Button Moon
Spoke to a family friend who has 2 very good mates very high up in the Albion board.

Each of them told him that our budget is going to be in the region of 30 million, I thought he was pulling my leg when he told me.

Im expecting people on here to tell me im an idiot when I post this, but I am just passing on what ive been told.

April fool!

Thimble Keegan

Remy LeBeau
Jul 7, 2003
Rustington, Littlehampton
Has anyone thought that the figure might be how much Gus will get over all to get us to the prem?

I am on the same train of thought as yourself as I heard yesterday that the budget for the summer is 10million. Personally I think that is nonsense!...But, what is believable is that figure being used to get us promoted, stabilised in the Championship then push from there to challenge on getting into Premier League. So in effect, it being spread over a number of years which is far more realistic.

Albion, Wednesday & England forever.

Thimble Keegan
Rustington Owl

itszamora

Go Jazz Go
Sep 21, 2003
London
At Seagulls Over London Tony Bloom said the playing budget next season will be in the top 7 or 8 in our division - so I'm pretty sure that doesn't equal £30 million!

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
At Seagulls Over London Tony Bloom said the playing budget next season will be in the top 7 or 8 in our division - so I'm pretty sure that doesn't equal £30 million!

you cant seriously be suggesting we take his word over the rumours :ohmy:

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton

So Tony is not willing to commit to being one of the biggest 2-3 spenders in the division yet is EXPECTING a top 2 finish? Harsh.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here