Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Budget is 17th in Championship

casbom

Jul 24, 2007
So Gus has now come out and said that we have budget that is 17th in the Champ, so his goal is to get the team to finish between 17th and
10th. :glare:

So much for trying to aim higher! However at this stage I would be more than happy to finish 17th!

Poyet blasts his players From The Argus)

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
I cannot believe that, we spent a lot of money in the Summer, and CMS and Vicente wont be on small wages either.

The Terminator

Aug 7, 2010
how does he know other teams budgets

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
Couple of weeks ago we had the 10th or something...I'd like to know how many teams spent more in the summer apart from the obvious two...Cms, Hoskins, Buckley, that's somewhere in the region of £5 million straight away and two of them are crocks.

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
According to reports. I assume that's on games/goals, maybe promotion?

With what we paid for Greer, Painter, Noone, Harley plus the others that have been mentioned and any others ive forgot, the current squad must have cost somewhere in the region of £8 Million to assemble. That's not what Id call scrapping around.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
By 'budget' I'm pretty certain he means we outlayed the 17th most in the league.

Not that we have the 17th biggest budget.

Turkey

Jul 4, 2003
how does he know other teams budgets

Will be networking. Directors/backroom staff etc all build up relationships with people at other clubs and share info on others and so on.

Couple of weeks ago we had the 10th or something...I'd like to know how many teams spent more in the summer apart from the obvious two...Cms, Hoskins, Buckley, that's somewhere in the region of £5 million straight away and two of them are crocks.

Transfer fee's spent doesn't equate to budget, its the total figure including wages. Take the CMS fee for example, broken down its 48k a week, that probably covers 2/3 players at some of the very rich clubs in the league, whilst plenty of sides would cover 3/4 players wages with that. Bear in mind how many clubs in this league have been in the Premiership in recent history, and they all get those parachute payments and have the big names players on big wages (and then you have Ipswich who havent been up for some time with Bullard and Bowyer!). We've moved up with a lot of players on League 1 sized contracts. And when you're comparing players on 2/3k a week to those on 12/13 thats half a million more on one player a season some clubs are paying in wages than we are.

ferring seagull

Dec 30, 2010
CMS - 2.5m
Buckley - 1m
Hoskins - 300 - 500k?
Vincent - 150k?

I honestly believe these particular acquisitions will prove to be more than justified.

CMS is CMS and doesn't require, to my mind , any justification.

Hoskins, at £500,000, was a snip as was Buckley at £1m, and, both will prove the wisdom of their signings before very long.

Romain Vincelot, on the other hand at £250K, was quite the most astute bit of business which GP/TB have concluded. Here is a guy who can successfully play left full back or midfield, not very tall but you just have to give him top marks for effort and result.

Have patience !

PS. We only spent around £3.5m (net) considering we received £1.5m for EB.

Unless I'm very much mistaken nobody other than TB, the directors and presumably Gus will know what our budget is. I wouldn't mind betting that even Dick Knight doesn't know for sure.

And none of them will know what budgets the other clubs in the division have.

That's the way it would be in any other business.

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
Whatever!! Somewhere between 17th and 10th at the end of the season would do me nicely looked at from the direction we are heading in at the moment!!

horshamseagull11

seagullshorsham
Dec 11, 2010
Eastbourne
You don't need to spend millions on players we showed that last year finishing top of league 1. Palace haven't spent hardly anything and its kept them in the championship for years. What you need is a good youth and scouting system and players that play for the club and fans not the salary. I think at times like this we should be giving the likes of Caskey, Kasim and cook a run in the team. Was it wise spending 3million on cms? Thats 3 will Buckley's or 3 Chopra's. cms is a good player in the right team but did gus make the right decisions?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here