Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Buckley is a STRIKER, he's wasted on the wing

leigull

Sep 26, 2010
Dear Mr 10

Not that I am disagreeing with you about this post and not having attending the game for obvious reasons, was it not CMS whose header came of the post and bounced into the goalie's arms? My only evidence for this was seeing the 45 seconds highlights on SSN at 6am this morning, so I may have been seeing things and am happy to be put right.

Pretty sure it was Buckley.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Dear Mr 10

Not that I am disagreeing with you about this post and not having attending the game for obvious reasons, was it not CMS whose header came of the post and bounced into the goalie's arms? My only evidence for this was seeing the 45 seconds highlights on SSN at 6am this morning, so I may have been seeing things and am happy to be put right.

It was indeed Buckley who hit the post, Sky got it wrong.
They also said "Calderon then made it 2-0", so they were on top form last night.

Anyhoo, I'm still firmly of the opinion that Buckers is worth a go playing up top. He's a great asset on the wing of course and has a knack of getting into goalscoring positions from there. I think he's easily robust enough to take on the strikers role, I reckon he could do some real damage in that position, given the chance.

yxee

Oct 24, 2011
Manchester
I agree, his finishing is reason enough for me, put him in the middle in front of someone who can pick a through ball, he will score all day one on one.

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
I'm not altogether convinced that Buckley would work as a striker - though admittedly I'd love to see him give it a go. I'd humbly suggest that he's been most effective when arriving from deep either with the ball (eg Newcastle) or without (Donny/Forest) and were he to sit up top, or even float around behind a striker then we'd lose so much in terms of developing play and creating chances.

As I said though, I'm happy to be proved wrong on this.

halbpro

Jan 25, 2012
Brighton
I think playing him on the wing lets him come in from unexpected positions and pop up in the right spot. He's also got that ability to knock a ball past a full back that we don't seem to have from other players as much, think that could be wasted in the center.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Dear Mr 10

Pretty sure it was Buckley.

It was definitely Buckley....CMS getting as close as hitting the frame of the goal - should have gone to specsavers!

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Buckley is a STRIKER,
he's wasted on the wing
and when he's shagging Beckham
He thinks of marlon King

Chesney Christ

Sep 3, 2003
Location, Location
I'm sure this has been discussed before, but tonight just illustrated it yet again. So unlucky with that 1st half header off the post, but another expert finish once V had weaved his usual magic again.

Pace, strength, power, composure, movement, skill, height, and a predators finish in front of goal. Buckley needs to play down the middle, there's no two ways about it. His 8th goal in an injury-hit season when he's been in and out of the side...now he's consistantly fit, if he played up front I think we could easily hang 15-20 goals on him next season.

Someone please tell Gus. Buckley is utterly wasted out wide, he IS the striker we are looking for, whether that be with CMS or A.N. Other.

So there.

Indeed. Whats more baffling is that his general wing-play is utterly ordinary, and at times rubbish, so its not like he gets stuck out there because he's doing so well. When was the last time he delivered a top quality cross?

SK1NT

Sep 9, 2003
Thames Ditton
Buckley is a STRIKER,
he's wasted on the wing.
Gus only selects him,
coz he likes his ring :lolol:

Birdie Boy

Jun 17, 2011
I must admit a few people in our group have speculated through the season whether Buckley could play the 'second' striker role behind CMS. It would be harder for him to fulfil that role all the time Vicente is pulling the strings in the centre of 3 attacking midfielders but it would certainly be interesting to see Gus experiment with something like that for the last couple of games!

this.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Vicente can do the tracking back.................

Wow! We have more than our fair share of silly statements on here but the idea of making Vicente track back in order to accomodate Buckley takes the biscuit.
Thankfully he will never read it because he would be booking the taxi out :nono:

Bhafc11

Nov 24, 2011
Completely agree, like to see him up front with CMS and LuaLua and Noone on the wings leaving Vicente and Bridcutt in the middle.

Turkey

Jul 4, 2003
If you watch where he stands he pretty much is a wide striker a lot of the time anyway. He tends to be right on the full back. A massive asset of his though is his acceleration and dribbling, and its better to have him a little deeper (so he has somewhere to run too) so he can use that. He's been bloody brilliant on the wing, always seems to beat his man.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Works best as a wide winger, which is the role he plays. Down the middle his pace would be completely wasted as we DO NOT PLAY THROUGH BALLS. He often causes havoc starting on the wing and cutting in.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
He's got the finish of a top class striker, but he's also our best winger. I don't really mind where he plays, but if he's fit he'd be the first name on my team sheet.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here