Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Sussex] Buckingham Arms Shoreham

Whitechapel

Famous Last Words
Jul 19, 2014
Not in Whitechapel
Always liked the Buck. And they do keep it spotlessly clean, always quick to remove glasses from the tables and get them wiped down. Just a pity they don't do some SCRAN in there.

The fact they removed the kitchen to make more room for drinking is one of the many reasons why it’s a good pub. It’s a pub, not a restaurant.

*They also let you take takeaway food in there.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
The fact they removed the kitchen to make more room for drinking is one of the many reasons why it’s a good pub. It’s a pub, not a restaurant.

*They also let you take takeaway food in there.
Do they ? Must try that some time.

I got absolutely MULLERED in there a few years ago after watching Knocky's last-gasp worldy against that FILTH in a lunchtime game. Stayed on for the 3pm's on Soccer Saturday, won about £90 on an acca, but dropped my kebab in the bus stop.

What a day.

BrightonCottager

Sep 30, 2013
Brighton
I'm meeting an Albion mate in Shoreham tonight and - apart from the Buckingham and the Welly, are there other decent pubs? I recall the Crown and Anchor as having a nice terrace but dodgy Harvey's. Isn't there a micropub somewhere? Unfortunately, my mate drinks fizzy lager.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Do they ? Must try that some time.

I got absolutely MULLERED in there a few years ago after watching Knocky's last-gasp worldy against that FILTH in a lunchtime game. Stayed on for the 3pm's on Soccer Saturday, won about £90 on an acca, but dropped my kebab in the bus stop.

What a day.

Loved that day. One of the losers gripes was that the gusty wind went against them.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
I'm meeting an Albion mate in Shoreham tonight and - apart from the Buckingham and the Welly, are there other decent pubs? I recall the Crown and Anchor as having a nice terrace but dodgy Harvey's. Isn't there a micropub somewhere? Unfortunately, my mate drinks fizzy lager.
There's a couple, Piston Broke almost opposite the Ropetackle, and the Old Star in Church Street.

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
The Royal Sovereign (Middle street) does a reasonable pint of Harvey's. Plus they do fizzy lager. The Bridge I think has Dark Star.

Anyway, they're all pretty close, so if one disappoints you can easily find another!

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Opposite the Dorset Street Bar in Brighton there's a plaque to Sussex boxer Tom Sayers who was champion of England. It's on the wall of the Brighton Guitar & Amp shop. Tom was born near here in the early 19th century when the area was called Pimlico.

Tom also trained in Shoreham and often fought bouts in the yard of a pub. The fights were pretty vicious bloody affairs. So much so that the pub got the name 'the Bucket O' Blood'. That pub was the Royal Sovereign.

My Mum worked in the Royal Sovereign in the 1970s and 80s. I then worked there in the late eighties. Some fantastic characters. My Mum learned this story from a local Shoreham historian who used to drink in the pub.

Our Tom...

View attachment 185358
Curiosity led me to this:

southstandandy

WEST STAND ANDY
Jul 9, 2003
The Royal Sovereign (Middle street) does a reasonable pint of Harvey's. Plus they do fizzy lager. The Bridge I think has Dark Star.

Anyway, they're all pretty close, so if one disappoints you can easily find another!
This - and it's not a kiddies pub.

BrightonCottager

Sep 30, 2013
Brighton
There's a couple, Piston Broke almost opposite the Ropetackle, and the Old Star in Church Street.
Thanks for your help everyone.
We went to both of these. Excellent gravity fed beer in both. We reduced the average age of the clientele in the former, which is saying something, and just managed to squeeze a pint in at the latter before it closed.
I stuck my head in the Marlipins, but saw enough.

Barry Izbak

U.T.A.
Dec 7, 2005
Lancing By Sea
Good call - the Old Star does shut a bit on the early side, around 9pm from memory
Albion STHs run the Old Star on Mondays and Tuesdays. :albion2:
Opens 2.30. Closes 9pm
Cask Beers.
No TV
No Music
No kids

theboybilly

That would have been the owners, not the Monday/Tuesday bar staff
Anna & Jon on the way to a match? I'm a regular and never known them go (but they are keen followers). Weekends they are always there to welcome me if I make it for closing. A lovely little pub with no frills. Even better when Thornbridge's Jaipur is on :)

Coalburner

May 22, 2017

The Bridge is much more interested in food than drink - not a proper pub any more

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here