Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Bucket lists

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Frankly I’m looking forward to a time when I don’t feel the urge to do all this bucket list crap.

I am climbing a mountain next year and have vowed it’s my last expedition / adventure . After that it’s Greek islands and Cornish fishing villages.

I want a simpler, less adrenalised life. I’ve had my fill of excitement and danger. From work and holidays.

I’ll always go away with my small group of firm friends but we don’t feel the need to jump out of planes or screech around doing dangerous stuff anymore.

A chair in an orange grove, radio playing quietly in the background with a few cats at my feet will do me nicely. The simple life. And I’m not old at all.

“Things to do before you die” always strikes me as silly. When else would you do them?

Last edited:

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
See a whale/whale shark in the wild
See an iceberg!
Northern Lights
Own a Classic Sports Car

Some cheaper ones
Plant 100 trees
Clear 100kg of plastic/rubbish from beaches

Build something/anything from scratch
Go to the Eastern/Western/Southern/Northern points in GB

Biggest one for me was always to watch us play a competitive match abroad! thankyou uncle Tony.

These are fairly easily done, especially with tree 'whips'.

jcdenton08

Offended Liver Sausage
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
Moving to Canada to finally be full time with my other half. Waiting for my visa to be accepted. Of course all of this could be avoided with a marriage, but I want that to be our own terms and not to force an immigration. Beyond that, just to settle into a comfortable life.

Oh and to win the lottery and have loads of money.

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
A mate and I were planning a trip to Chernobyl/Pripyat (as well as a decent military aircraft museum and ICBM silo) when we both retired in 2019. We were going to go in 2020. Then Covid and Putin f**ked that plan completely. I seriously doubt it'll happen now.
Probably best to leave that until last on your list anyway as it might be mutually exclusive with the others.

Insel affe

HellBilly
Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
I really want to fly to Stockholm train to Malmo, then to Bornholm island in the Baltic sea, then to Rügen another sort of island north Germany train to Hamburg, then to Köln, from there down the rhine to Mainz then onto Bad Sobernheim taking in plenty of stops and see where my ancestors are all from, a few graveyards and Hadamar Memorial Museum at the Killing centre where two relatives were killed by the Waffen SS one for being disabled and one for probably having Alzheimer's, along with another 4500 poor souls who were either disabled, Jewish, or had mental health issues, many were experimented on prior to being killed, I really want to pay my respects to my ancestors and see were they came from, it will complete me.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Have you considered running via a charity ? I must admit I don’t know what it’s like these days but charity places were relatively easy to come by when I ran for The Sussex Beacon. I had to raise 2k but achieved this. I’d certainly donate to you and I’m sure other NSCers will.

It’s a truly iconic race and the end at the Mall is something else, you will never forget it.
100% agree. Done it 8 times on a mix of charity, ballot and club places. It's fantastic from start to finish.

@Guinness Boy I can help you with a charity place 😁

Marty McFly

Seagulls Over Canada
Aug 19, 2006
La Pêche, Quebec
See a whale/whale shark in the wild
See an iceberg!
Northern Lights
Own a Classic Sports Car

Some cheaper ones
Plant 100 trees
Clear 100kg of plastic/rubbish from beaches
Build something/anything from scratch
Go to the Eastern/Western/Southern/Northern points in GB

Biggest one for me was always to watch us play a competitive match abroad! thankyou uncle Tony.
Newfoundland would be a great shout for the top 2!

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade

Professor Plum

Jul 27, 2024
- Hire an RV, and do the entire East to West Coast of the US - taking in baseball games along the way.
- Walk the Swiss Alps in Summer.
Minor league baseball is superb. I always tried to find a local game when I was over there for some reason. Did a lot of walking in Switzerland when I lived there. Again, wonderful though I preferred late spring and early autumn to mid-summer as it can get surprisingly hot in Switzerland. Often reached 35 and more.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Frankly I’m looking forward to a time when I don’t feel the urge to do all this bucket list crap.

I am climbing a mountain next year and have vowed it’s my last expedition / adventure . After that it’s Greek islands and Cornish fishing villages.

I want a simpler, less adrenalised life. I’ve had my fill of excitement and danger. From work and holidays.

I’ll always go away with my small group of firm friends but we don’t feel the need to jump out of planes or screech around doing dangerous stuff anymore.

A chair in an orange grove, radio playing quietly in the background with a few cats at my feet will do me nicely. The simple life. And I’m not old at all.

“Things to do before you die” always strikes me as silly. When else would you do them?
'things to do asap just in case' is my strategy

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
Me and a group of middle aged men who should know better do a “lads trip” every September with the following rules:

Must be a new country or countries.
Typically in the mountains so a ski resort with mad summer activities.
Long hike on the Sunday.

Thanks to them I’ve been canyoning in Slovenia, white water rafting in Bosnia, mountain karting in Slovakia and driven through three countries in the Balkans using mountain roads - stunning scenery. Oh and I bruised my ribs stacking an e-scooter in front of the whole group.

None were on my bucket list before, but thanks to my mate who plans this mad shit I’ve done them and all were brilliant.

Mine now are probably:

Do Vegas properly. I’ve been for work for literally two days but I’d like longer and no work.

Visit South America, must include Macho Picho.

See Brighton win a trophy.

London Marathon. I applied four times unsuccessfully when I was fit. Now I’m a fat bastard it’s probably the only thing that would get me running again.
Your 'September' trips sound great - Slovenia is beautiful - I've never been to Slovakia.

BTW personally I wouldn't rush back to Vegas - expensive, tacky, seedy etc. Couple of days as part of a road trip maximum IMO.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Your 'September' trips sound great - Slovenia is beautiful - I've never been to Slovakia.

BTW personally I wouldn't rush back to Vegas - expensive, tacky, seedy etc. Couple of days as part of a road trip maximum IMO.
They are very good fun. Sadly (Covid times excepted) this year was the one year where we didn't go. Some couldn't afford it, another guy did a bucket list thing of his own and took a motorbike with his dad round Italy and I'd spunked my savings in Amsterdam and Rome for some reason!

I've just been sent an Insta link by the bloke who arranges it of mountain karting in Austria so I guess we're back on next year.

Bovec was the place we went to in Slovenia. In a valley in the Julian Alps it was stunning. So close to the Italian border that we kept walking into Italy as part of the hike. Also did Monster Rollers (big scooters) and kayaking. I'd go back tomorrow TBH.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here