Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Bucket lists

Blue&WhiteSea

Jul 5, 2003
Sutton
TL: DR - Give me some bucket list ideas

I'm currently in the middle of a full on existential crisis (don't want to call it mid-life crisis as that would be admitting that I'm getting old!) and have been thinking about the things I want to do bring some meaning to my life outside of family and work life (I hate my job and and get zero satisfaction from it but it is reasonably well paid and not very demanding).

I'm looking for bucket list ideas of things to do and places to visit with a variety of different levels of cost and effort.

So far I have, in no particular order:
- watch a mountain stage of each of the cycling grand tours
- ride the etape du tour
- visit Cuba
- sky dive
- ride lands end to John o groats
- go to Goodwood festival of speed
- complete a triathlon
- have a flight in a helicopter

Happy Exile

NSC Patron
Apr 19, 2018
I hear you! Going through similar but fully embracing the idea it’s midlife crisis. Decided with a mate the same age we’d not just look for “big” bucket list things but new experiences we could have locally and often too and push the comfort zone a bit and regularly experience more variety in life in among the Groundhog Day of work and family. So we’ve agreed we’ll take it in turns to arrange something, one thing a month, small budget each time, that’s different to anything we’d consciously choose to do under any normal circumstances.

Life drawing class
Improv lesson
Ballroom dancing
Rollerskate silent disco
Cookery class
Art house cinema and sitar night
Open mic poetry night etc etc etc

Some we will not enjoy at all I’m sure, some will be a lot of fun, and some might become new hobbies but the intent really is just to experience more and different, alongside the big bucket list things.

wardy wonder land

Dec 10, 2007
along with the locations & trips -you can enhance the journey using differnet cars

if you had a wish list of cars you want to drive / own - so i would set aside 10K if you can
go on auto trader and buy car 1 i.e rearwheel drive convertable
drive it on a quality road Italy / scotland / A272 etc
then sell it when you get back, buy car2 landrover / range rover - take it off roading / take it skiing
sell, buy car 3 old classic hot-hatch - take it round the nurburg ring
sell but car 4 - camper van - go surfing

etc

Blue&WhiteSea

Jul 5, 2003
Sutton
along with the locations & trips -you can enhance the journey using differnet cars

if you had a wish list of cars you want to drive / own - so i would set aside 10K if you can
go on auto trader and buy car 1 i.e rearwheel drive convertable
drive it on a quality road Italy / scotland / A272 etc
then sell it when you get back, buy car2 landrover / range rover - take it off roading / take it skiing
sell, buy car 3 old classic hot-hatch - take it round the nurburg ring
sell but car 4 - camper van - go surfing

etc
I like this, I've already rented a Caterham which I'd always wanted to own but decided wasn't a sensible purchase given the amount I'd use it

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Mainly gigs/events
Burning Man
SXSW although they have a few issues they need to resolve first
A gig at Red Rocks.

But the one thing I want to do more than anything is complete the 6 major marathons. I had just Tokyo to tick off when my illness got in the way. I will do it, but most likely not running.

Blue&WhiteSea

Jul 5, 2003
Sutton
The one thing I want to do more than anything is complete the 6 major marathons. I had just Tokyo to tick off when my illness got in the way. I will do it, but most likely not running.
Funnily enough that was originally on the list before I started my current crisis but then I ran my first marathon in Manchester followed by London and decided that I didn't really want to continue with road marathons, because of the amount of time and training required to run them as well as I would like (I'm not someone who can really do running events just for the fun of them!).

Hope you manage to finish it given the effort you have put in already.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Excluding the “learn a load of foreign languages”, that’s an aspiration/chore, instead just instantly joyous stuff.

- Revisit New England.
- US road trip including San Francisco, Yosemite and Yellowstone.
- Visit NZ.
- A Sparks gig.
- A The Cure gig.
- Iceland
- See the Northern Lights.
- Skiing, I‘ve been fortunate to have been to many countries/villages. I want to add Arosa, Serfaus, Saalbach, Beaver Creek, Warth, Damuls.
- A summer stay in the Lauterbrunnen Valley.
- Climb Mont Blanc.

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
Chernobyl tour
A mate and I were planning a trip to Chernobyl/Pripyat (as well as a decent military aircraft museum and ICBM silo) when we both retired in 2019. We were going to go in 2020. Then Covid and Putin f**ked that plan completely. I seriously doubt it'll happen now.
My no 1 would have to be a shark cage to see a great white
Me too. I did see a shark on a dive in Turkey a few years ago but it saw us and scarpered. Wasn't very big though.

Only thing I really have on a "bucket list" is to visit the ruins of Carthage but mrs H doesn't fancy Tunisia.

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
Excluding the “learn a load of foreign languages”, that’s an aspiration/chore, instead just instantly joyous stuff.

- Skiing, I‘ve been fortunate to have been to many countries/villages. I want to add Arosa, Serfaus, Saalbach, Beaver Creek, Warth, Damuls.
As it happens, Beaver Creek is the only place I've skied in the US, other than Arizona Snowbowl (I assume you mean the resort in Colorado?).

Han Solo

May 25, 2024
I have mine laying around somewhere... can only remember a few from the top of my head:

- Never visit the city of Borås (I mixed up Borås and Båstad when I was young; in reality I have nothing against Borås but it is what it is)
- Eat human flesh
- Visit Japan
- Watch a woman masturbate in a bed while I sit in a comfortable chair eating a knäckebröd with thinly sliced cheese and equally thinly sliced cucumber
- Kill someone
- Hug some sort of deer-animal

Coldeanseagull

Opinionated
Mar 13, 2013
Coldean
I have mine laying around somewhere... can only remember a few from the top of my head:

- Never visit the city of Borås (I mixed up Borås and Båstad when I was young; in reality I have nothing against Borås but it is what it is)
- Eat human flesh
- Visit Japan
- Watch a woman masturbate in a bed while I sit in a comfortable chair eating a knäckebröd with thinly sliced cheese and equally thinly sliced cucumber
- Kill someone
- Hug some sort of deer-animal
Add getting a psychiatric assessment to the list ???

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
TL: DR - Give me some bucket list ideas

I'm currently in the middle of a full on existential crisis (don't want to call it mid-life crisis as that would be admitting that I'm getting old!) and have been thinking about the things I want to do bring some meaning to my life outside of family and work life (I hate my job and and get zero satisfaction from it but it is reasonably well paid and not very demanding).

I'm looking for bucket list ideas of things to do and places to visit with a variety of different levels of cost and effort.

So far I have, in no particular order:
- watch a mountain stage of each of the cycling grand tours
- ride the etape du tour
- visit Cuba
- sky dive
- ride lands end to John o groats
- go to Goodwood festival of speed
- complete a triathlon
- have a flight in a helicopter
If you are thinking of visiting America, I would go to America before you visit Cuba.
As visiting Cuba will stop you applying for an ESTA and you will need to apply for a Visa to get into America

Han Solo

May 25, 2024
Add getting a psychiatric assessment to the list ???
Indeed.
Most of the objects on my list are of the "well, everybody's talking about it, gotta try it". In some cases it won't happen for whatever reason but aim for the stars, land on the clouds.

South Stand Bonfire

Who lit that match then?
NSC Patron
Jan 24, 2009
Shoreham-a-la-mer
Mainly gigs/events
Burning Man
SXSW although they have a few issues they need to resolve first
A gig at Red Rocks.

But the one thing I want to do more than anything is complete the 6 major marathons. I had just Tokyo to tick off when my illness got in the way. I will do it, but most likely not running.
London?
New York?
Paris?
Boston?
Berlin?
Toyko?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here