Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Bucharest

AMEXican Wave

AMEX Ruffian
Sep 21, 2010
Don't bother. Cheap, yes, but an absolute total dump, dogs roaming the streets, an air of menace everywhere. You can do the tourist bits in a day.

ofco8

May 18, 2007
Brighton
Yes went early '90s, a couple of years after Ceaucescu and his missus were executed.
Was a bit weird then with bullet holes in all the public buildings. We were taken to Ceaucescus palace, which ordinary Rumanians weren't allowed to see because of the opulence. It had 400 sofas in the entrance hall!! Completely bonkers. We were advised to be careful of gypsies and true to form one tried to take my brother's watch off his wrist as he walked along. (All here now!!)
Then, very cheap with nothing in the shops. Now in EU so may have changed. However, interesting and our tour of Transylvania and Draculas castle worth seeing.

Grizz

NSC Patron
Jul 5, 2003
Been there twice now and loved it. Cheap and cheerful, plenty to see and do. Local food is quite stodgy, think German, but heavier on the stomach. Vatra is a lovely cheap restaurant just off the Calea Victorei, but you need to reserve a table. Nice paved pub/bar area in the city centre has a nice vibe. The dog thing isn't a problem, just be sensible and stay away from them if you see them.

Two things though. Take a proper cab from the rank at the airport, don't go with anyone that approaches you as they'll rip you off big time. Euros are happily accepted, though the local currency is the Lei.

Deffo worth a long weekend.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Don't bother. Cheap, yes, but an absolute total dump, dogs roaming the streets, an air of menace everywhere. You can do the tourist bits in a day.
I'm glad it wasn't just us, who didn't like it.

brighton bluenose

Jan 6, 2006
Nicollet & 66th
I've been to lots of places across Europe (largely following Rangers) and without a doubt Bucharest was the most dreary dismal city I have EVER been to and despite what someone above says it really is a shithole - avoid at all costs!!

cheesy77

Feb 18, 2009
I actually had quite a good time when I went this summer as part of an inter rail trip. It was dirt cheap, lots of bars and good restaurants, mainly in the old town.
Yes there are shit parts, but every city has shit parts. There isn't a huge amount to see, I went on a tour of the palace, which was interesting. Oh and it was 42 degrees when I was there, so that was different.
Its obviously very different to western Europe, I'm quite surprised it is part of the EU, as it is quite poor.

SULLY COULDNT SHOOT

Loyal2Family+Albion!
Sep 28, 2004
Izmir, Southern Turkey
No bad for a transit visit no more than 24 hours. Not much tos ee...tubwe is interesting.... food is so-so but bars clubs and resturants good, girls great but avoid getting in a tussle with Romanian men (usually have knives or guns) and watch your wallet. Has a real atmosphere but still trying to get rid of its post-communist mafiaville tag.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here