Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

BT customer service

Playing On The Grit

Twitter: @leighjcooper
Apr 2, 2008
I left BT six months ago because of their shite customer service and inability to solve problems with various bills and services. Their call centre staff were clueless and often rude and I lost count of the number of times they gave the wrong information or contradicted what the previous adviser had told me. They never returned emails or called back when they said they would so I signed up for Sky and we haven't had any problems since.

Anyway, I got a phishing email supposedly from BT today and before deleting it I went onto the BT website and followed the procedures for reporting it. I really wasn't interested in hearing back from them but wanted report it. Less than 15 minutes after I sent the dodgy email over to them they rang me to aplogise for the distress and inconvenience the phishing email had caused.

Why the f*** didn't they show the same desire to help me when I had issues as a customer? They didn't apologise for the stress and inconvenience they cause when they used a debt recovery firm to chase me over an unpaid bill that didn't exist! Probably the worst customer service I've ever experienced. Wankers!!!

element

Fear [is] the key.....
Jan 28, 2009
Local
*Oxymoron alert*

BT (Lack of) customer service

I got ponced about about my router not working properly, and only after posting on here and reading other peoples stories of the same problem did I, at my own expense, fix the problem...

They would have been aware it was a common, easily fixed issue, but f*cked me about big time...

No faith in B(ullshi)T(ters) at all I'm afraid :nono:

Having only recently got BT, I found about 2 months ago that my phone line was down. I reported it when I got into work the next day (at about 8:00AM). Was texted within half an hour saying that they were aware of the problem and hoped to have it sorted in the next 2 days. Got a phone call from an engineer at about 10:00AM saying that he was going to look at it, and I could I give him some further details. He then rang me at 10:45AM saying that he'd fixed the problem, and had tested the line and it was now working fine. That, to me, is great service.

So much of this is down to luck. If you get someone competent dealing with the issue you are fine, if not you are screwed. I'm sure that goes for most companies.

Wardy

NSC's Benefits Guru
Oct 9, 2003
In front of the PC
I have never had a major issues with them. In fact got a Hub2 with handset free, 50% reduction on my broadband and option 3 package, plus a BT Vision box if I want it when we get freeview here in Eastbourne.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
Interesting timing for this thread, as for the last two days I've come home from work to hear the bloke in the flat below mine shouting down the phone at someone, which turned out to be BT.

From what I could gather he was speaking to an Indian call centre, and over the space of a 10 minute call the volume would go up gradually until he shouts "you f***ing bitch/idiot" or "i'm going to sue the arse off you" and they put the phone down. This process was repeated for well over 3 hours on tuesday. I don't know what the problem was, but it was very funny :lolol:

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
So much of this is down to luck. If you get someone competent dealing with the issue you are fine, if not you are screwed. I'm sure that goes for most companies.

I find it is also pot luck if you get to speak to someone who can actually speak English. That normally helps.

seagully

Cock-knobs!
Jun 30, 2006
Battle

Working in a call centre myself, I'd say that was spot on. At least 50% of the people I work with are clueless and just muddle their way through work, causing hassle for those of us who give a shit and actually know how to do their jobs.

:censored:

P.S. I don't work for BT!

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
Have BT broadband and have found it pretty reliable overall.On the rare occasions I have had a problem,it has been sorted out pretty quickly and efficiently.Heavy Indian accents can be a problem sometimes,but they know their stuff and are very patient.

Hmm. I renewed my BT broadband only after they sold me on a package deal that included a tv service. They then told me, after I was contracted, that they were unable to provide the package in my area.

I found out that I could have renewed with a couple of nice free-gift incentives - but they were not available to me with the tv-package promotion!! :rant:

Yes I did try pointing this out, to get some kind of recompense or even an apology from them, but this was suddenly difficult for me to speak with the appropriate department. :tosser:

Last edited:

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Working in a call centre myself, I'd say that was spot on. At least 50% of the people I work with are clueless and just muddle their way through work, causing hassle for those of us who give a shit and actually know how to do their jobs.

The same thing happened at BT , people took redundancy or got to retirement age and were replaced with agency staff working on minimum wage. They were trained to a minimum skill level to do the job and did it without concern that they were giving out wrong information due to questioning techniques. The 10% of us who could rectify their mistakes did so because of expertise and knowledge gained over many years.

Freddie Goodwin.

Mar 31, 2007
Brighton
The same thing happened at BT , people took redundancy or got to retirement age and were replaced with agency staff working on minimum wage. They were trained to a minimum skill level to do the job and did it without concern that they were giving out wrong information due to questioning techniques. The 10% of us who could rectify their mistakes did so because of expertise and knowledge gained over many years.

Sadly this is happening all over the place. Experinced staff are being replaced by cheap 'off the street' staff and then money is wasted giving them minimum training only for them to leave soo after. And who can wonder at it as it must be awfull working in a call centre and expected to solve problems you know little about as well as meeting all the 'targets' set.

Why don't organisations play more then just lip service to real customer care? It really doess affect profits.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
I used to use BT. I had a fault with my modem with was patently obvious (there was a wire off it !) I had to wait for a week for an engineer to turn up to confirm the problem. They then sent the replacement modem to my old address (bearing in mind when you move you have to close your account and start a new one when you relocate this was pretty piss poor). Took me a month to sort the problem out. And they wondered why I left.

Wardy

NSC's Benefits Guru
Oct 9, 2003
In front of the PC

Seeing has you location does not say India then it is clear that you do not work for BT.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Hmm well I rang BT and like others have said it really depends who you get (sometimes even the asian call centres know what they are doing) sometimes its just a lottery.

The most recent experience was quite a pleasant one tho, rang them to notify a change of address, no probs we will disconnect the old line and connect a line at the new property on xxxx which is the first available date (only a few days after), they will be there between 12-2 (which they were) and all went thru smoothly.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here