Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

BT Broadband- disconnection fees

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Advice needed! I cancelled my BT Broadband and home phone plan recently to transfer to a new service provider.

Following the cancellation, I noticed two months later that they'd continued to debit my account for payments, so I called them and eventually they conceded that they'd done it by mistake, oh and they owed me nearly a hundred quid as well which they seemed to have forgotten to credit my account with. Wonder at what point they would have mentioned that if I hadn't queried it?

Now I've got a final paper bill from them, which includes the credit, but I've now noticed they charged me a £30 disconnection fee (well I think that's what it is, it says "this is for the cessation of your broadband").

My contract with them ended nearly two years ago, and I'm sure I never signed up for a new one. I simply let the payments continue. They didn't send me anything suggesting I was signed up for another fixed period. Or that cancellation fees applied.

I could sort of understand them charging people who were under contract for cancelling their deals, but as far as I'm concerned, I wasn't. I can't quite see why I should pay for something that costs BT absolutely nothing. Anyone expert in these matters- is it policy to charge all customers a fee, contracted or not? Anyone argued the case successfully with a broadband supplier?

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
You'll need to examine the terms and conditions of the original contract , it may be that after the 2 years were up if you didn't contact them they put you onto a monthly rolling contract (TalkTalk have done exactly the same to me). As you have allowed them to continue to be your BB provider the £30 disconnection fee would apply if there is any mention in the small print. The switchover from BT to another ISP might involve a human intervention (pressing a couple of keys on a pc to alter the software in the exchange equipment to stop billing you for BB)

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
its a pain to be sure, but it will be there in the terms that there is a disconnection fee. always has been and technically applies when you change provider too (though they usually pay it for you). they do have to do something, though arguably not £30 worth of effort. sort of thing that needs letter to MPs, regulator, etc to cut out, was maybe justified when they needed to actually physically change your line, but no longer.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
its a pain to be sure, but it will be there in the terms that there is a disconnection fee. always has been and technically applies when you change provider too (though they usually pay it for you). they do have to do something, though arguably not £30 worth of effort. sort of thing that needs letter to MPs, regulator, etc to cut out, was maybe justified when they needed to actually physically change your line, but no longer.

With LLU (local loop unbundling) and some ISPs co-locating their equipment in BT exchanges the transfer is easy peasy with a few keystrokes. The £30 charge is similar to what the banks charge to send out a letter to advise you they've bounced all the direct debits because you're overdrawn and penalty charges apply.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Dammit. The buggers. I still think it's outrageously expensive for what it is.

Might try ringing them and moaning anyway. Nothing to lose.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
With LLU (local loop unbundling) and some ISPs co-locating their equipment in BT exchanges the transfer is easy peasy with a few keystrokes. The £30 charge is similar to what the banks charge to send out a letter to advise you they've bounced all the direct debits because you're overdrawn and penalty charges apply.

Not true, only Openreach can do the rejumpering or cable moves and they charge for this. Same as the £127.50 fee if you move into a new place that hasn't had a BT line for a while

simonsimon

Dec 31, 2004
If you call BT BROADBAND you will be connected to an Indian call centre.

Good Luck.

Even if you can under stand the accents you will still be pushed from pillar to post across India and then back again.

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
The £30 charge is similar to what the banks charge to send out a letter to advise you they've bounced all the direct debits because you're overdrawn and penalty charges apply.
My bank (NatWest) doesn't charge for overdraft letters. Suggest you change banks.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Not true, only Openreach can do the rejumpering or cable moves and they charge for this. Same as the £127.50 fee if you move into a new place that hasn't had a BT line for a while

Openreach do the work basically because Ofcom wanted transparency , BT Engineering one day , Openreach the next to avoid BT being split up. The £130 fee applies if an engineer visit is needed but can be free if you sign up for 18 months on BB + phone , BB + TV + phone or £30 for phone only if there is a dialling tone and the wiring is ok.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
My bank (NatWest) doesn't charge for overdraft letters. Suggest you change banks.

I've never been overdrawn in 31 years but Russ has recently and been sent letters for being overdrawn and charged for the privilege with Santander , HBOS and now his latest bank Lloyds.

Spun Cuppa

Thanks Greens :(
I had exactly the same thing. It IS in their terms of service, that when you disconnect from their service, and don't request a migration code, they will make this charge. I think it means that if you go to another ISP that uses their line, they will still get a cut, whereas if you stop using it all together, and go to Virgin for example, BT don't make any commission money from their line, and charge you the £30. Bit hard to swallow, but it should be in their terms somewhere :smile:

Spun Cuppa

Thanks Greens :(
Just Googled BT's broadband t & c's, and thought this might answer your query...

'Ending your agreement

Separate minimum periods will apply to the service we supply to you and to each other user depending on the pricing option and package you choose. These are detailed in the Tariff Guide.
If you are using any services, applications or features which are free of charge, these will end on the day your agreement with us ends.
When you end your broadband service and do not request and use a migration authorisation code (MAC) or another recognised transfer process to move to another service provider you will have to pay a cease charge of £30. You will not have to pay this charge in the event you are moving home and we are unable to provide the service at the new UK address.'

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here