Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Bruno now misses two games

Gullflyinghigh

Apr 23, 2012
I'm not too sad about this really. He's obviously a good player but he seems to have become too offensively minded for a right-back, to the detriment of our back line.

At least with Calde's forays forward you know he'll be bursting a lung to get back straight after each one.

Kumquat

Mar 2, 2009
Absolute liabilty is Bruno. Clearly talented but when your game is based around defending because goals are hard to come by, which ours is, he's a ****ing liability. Greer getting involved in that territory obviously makes it doubly worse. I think most have us have worked out over the games Dunk has played that he should start. Upson has been class non stop, so goodbye Greer. But as mystifying as the scotch/scottish journeyman is, it's the mystifying decision to constantly use the bald headed Bruno over tthe consistent Calde that confuses me.

Magic City

Mar 29, 2014
Just done a bit of research, firstly some of the games both played in whether as sub or both on the pitch together.

This season

Calderon P19 W7 L5 D7 goals against 19 scored 2 goals 4 assists(joint highest)

Bruno P29 W11 L10 D8 goals against 28 scored 0 goals 2 assists

With Calderon playing points tally equate to 1.47 Bruno 1.42.

Calderon comes out top in all the stats. So when posters say Bruno is better there's no one single thing that backs it up.

Great stats! You're clearly very passionate about Calderon and his lack of inclusion in the starting eleven! Like I was trying to infer, I don't believe that there is much between the two. In fact my original post was intentionally created to praise Calde, as I happen to regard him very highly. However although the stats are in his favour, Bruno has played 10 games more. So over 10 more games he has only dropped 0.05 below Calderon's average point rating. Although incredibly marginal, in my opinion Bruno is a better player.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Great stats! You're clearly very passionate about Calderon and his lack of inclusion in the starting eleven! Like I was trying to infer, I don't believe that there is much between the two. In fact my original post was intentionally created to praise Calde, as I happen to regard him very highly. However although the stats are in his favour, Bruno has played 10 games more. So over 10 more games he has only dropped 0.05 below Calderon's average point rating. Although incredibly marginal, in my opinion Bruno is a better player.

Not particularly passionate about Calderon more so the fact Bruno does my head in, game after game his total lack of understanding how to defend infuriates me. The one stat I would like to know is how many crosses/shots come in from his side compared to the very good defender Ward's side.

Half of the reason Greer struggles is because he's covering for Bruno on the sideline. Either that or a midfielder is.

Just to add though Calderon has scored 14 goals in his Brighton career to Bruno's 1. Does dismiss his "attacking" mindset somewhat.

brakespear

Doctor Worm
Feb 24, 2009
Sleeping on the roof
Hopefully Calde's run in the team can extend at least to the Charlton game (my next visit to the Amex and iirc a team he has a couple of goals against). And for every match afterwards too :)

JCL666

absurdism
Sep 23, 2011
I don't get why people are constantly on at Bruno for attacking. As I understand it, that is a typical part of a full backs role within a 433.

The defensive midfielders role includes providing cover in that situation. So if you think about it, when you attack if you include the full backs you can push 7 players forward (3 forwards, 2 midfielders, 2 full backs). This gives the option to overload. That's why when we push on, we rely heavily on a holding midfielder.

It's definitely different to a fullback within a 4-5-1.

There's some interesting (if you like reading about tactics) stuff here http://www.redbullsacademy.com/433.aspx

If you've got 20 minutes check this out http://www.slideboom.com/presentations/61183/AJAX433--Formation-and-Playing-Roles

4-3-3 vs 4-5-1
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1433563-breaking-down-the-4-3-3-formation-when-to-use-it-and-why

The evolution of the fullback as an attacking player
http://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2009/mar/25/the-question-full-backs-football

Yeah I like Calde too.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
I don't get why people are constantly on at Bruno for attacking. As I understand it, that is a typical part of a full backs role within a 433.

The defensive midfielders role includes providing cover in that situation. So if you think about it, when you attack if you include the full backs you can push 7 players forward (3 forwards, 2 midfielders, 2 full backs). This gives the option to overload. That's why when we push on, we rely heavily on a holding midfielder.

It's definitely different to a fullback within a 4-5-1.

There's some interesting (if you like reading about tactics) stuff here http://www.redbullsacademy.com/433.aspx

If you've got 20 minutes check this out http://www.slideboom.com/presentations/61183/AJAX433--Formation-and-Playing-Roles

4-3-3 vs 4-5-1
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1433563-breaking-down-the-4-3-3-formation-when-to-use-it-and-why

The evolution of the fullback as an attacking player
http://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2009/mar/25/the-question-full-backs-football

Yeah I like Calde too.

Don't think anyone has moaned about him for attacking it's the fact he defends so poorly. His technique or rather lack of it leads to him committing fouls, he fails to track back, close down, stop attackers from coming inside. Add to that Calderon, assists in more goals and scores loads more.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
I'm not too sad about this really. He's obviously a good player but he seems to have become too offensively minded for a right-back, to the detriment of our back line.

At least with Calde's forays forward you know he'll be bursting a lung to get back straight after each one.

Don't think anyone has moaned about him for attacking it's the fact he defends so poorly. His technique or rather lack of it leads to him committing fouls, he fails to track back, close down, stop attackers from coming inside. Add to that Calderon, assists in more goals and scores loads more.
It's not an uncommon complaint.

Bruno as been one of the best players in the last several home matches so it's staggering how much stick he is getting. But then nsc has to blame one man.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Just done a bit of research, firstly some of the games both played in whether as sub or both on the pitch together.

This season

Calderon P19 W7 L5 D7 goals against 19 scored 2 goals 4 assists(joint highest)

Bruno P29 W11 L10 D8 goals against 28 scored 0 goals 2 assists

With Calderon playing points tally equate to 1.47 Bruno 1.42.

Calderon comes out top in all the stats. So when posters say Bruno is better there's no one single thing that backs it up.

So, bugger all in it then. Perhaps if Calde wants to start more games he should do better in training or something to get Garcia to pick him. There must be a reason why Bruno starts more than Calde, it certainly can't be statistics that are so marginal. Don't forget in much of the time Bruno has played this season we've had a poor attack line too, strikers who couldn't hit a barn door at 2 paces, and Crofts season ending. That might have something to do with the tiny difference in points too.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Glad he's out tbh. How many of the goals wen have conceded recently have come from attacks down our right or Bruno errors?

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Calde in for Bruno is a good thing in that plenty of people have been calling for Bruno to be dropped.

But please, Oscar, will you ditch Keith Andrews? He is GASH, and it's not as if Stephens is a worse alternative. And FFS play Lewis Dunk instead of Greer. I'm not going to slate Greer (he's been poor for a month or two but no more than that) but Dunk is capable, hungry and his job is to provide competition when our first choice centre halves are out of sorts. Let him do his job.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Couldn't give a toss about the 'stats'. Bruno is class. Plenty of people exercise man love to Calde.
That is all.

He *was* class. He makes far too many defensive mistakes to be considered class nowadays, but I guess that is why he no longer plays at the 4th biggest club in La Liga. What I will say is that he is no worse than Calde despite what many people say on here. In an ideal world you'd pick one or the other based on the opposition's strengths and weaknesses, but that comes at a cost of unsettling the back four.

And stats in football are generally a load of shìt. They are rarely meaningful except the obvious stat of which team has scored the most goals. And even then, the difference between Calde and Bruno's stats are not significant so it seems particularly stupid to use them to justify Calde's place in the team.

TonyW

Feb 11, 2004
He *was* class. He makes far too many defensive mistakes to be considered class nowadays, but I guess that is why he no longer plays at the 4th biggest club in La Liga. What I will say is that he is no worse than Calde despite what many people say on here. In an ideal world you'd pick one or the other based on the opposition's strengths and weaknesses, but that comes at a cost of unsettling the back four.

And stats in football are generally a load of shìt. They are rarely meaningful except the obvious stat of which team has scored the most goals. And even then, the difference between Calde and Bruno's stats are not significant so it seems particularly stupid to use them to justify Calde's place in the team.

Bruno is streets ahead of Calderon.
In fact, he is streets ahead of most of the right backs in this country.

If the bloke reads some of the nonsense on here, he must think that half of Brighton have never seen a football match before.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here