Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Brown and his Darling absolutely on the ropes......

• Thread starter Deleted User X18H
  • Start date

Thats cause the World has never been through a situation like this, so there is no answer.

Yes it has - dozens of times

here's one for example from 1720

All through history, one subject appears again and again. How to make a lot of money quickly!

The first recorded case in England was that of a State Lottery in 1569. The tickets were on sale at the west door of St. Paul's Cathedral in London. The name of the winner is not recorded.

In 1720 the whole of England became involved with what has since become known as The South Sea Bubble.

In 1720, in return for a loan of £7 million to finance the war against France, the House of Lords passed the South Sea Bill, which allowed the South Sea Company a monopoly in trade with South America.

The company underwrote the English National Debt, which stood at £30 million, on a promise of 5% interest from the Government.

Shares immediately rose to 10 times their value, speculation ran wild and all sorts of companies, some lunatic, some fraudulent or just optimistic were launched.

For example; one company floated was to buy the Irish Bogs, another to manufacture a gun to fire square cannon balls and the most ludicrous of all "For carrying-on an undertaking of great advantage but no-one to know what it is!!" Unbelievably £2000 was invested in this one!

The country went wild, stocks increased in all these and other 'dodgy' schemes, and huge fortunes were made.

Then the 'bubble' in London burst!

The stocks crashed and people all over the country lost all of their money. Porters and ladies maids who had bought their own carriages became destitute almost overnight. The Clergy, Bishops and the Gentry lost their life savings; the whole country suffered a catastrophic loss of money and property.

Suicides became a daily occurrence. The gullible mob whose innate greed had lain behind this mass hysteria for wealth, demanded vengeance. The Postmaster General took poison and his son, who was the Secretary of State, avoided disaster by fortuitously contracting smallpox and died!

The South Sea Company Directors were arrested and their estates forfeited.

There were 462 members of the House of Commons and 112 Peers in the South Sea Company who were involved in the crash.

Frantic bankers thronged the lobbies at Parliament and the Riot Act was read to restore order.

As a result of a Parliamentary inquiry, John Aislabie Chancellor of the Exchequer, and several members of Parliament were expelled in 1721.

King George I also became involved as his two mistresses, the Countess of Darlington and the Duchess of Kendal, were heavily involved in the South Sea Company and were blamed by the populace as being responsible.

When out in her carriage, one of the ladies was jeered by a mob. "Goot people, why do you abuse us? We come for all your goots". (She had a very strong German accent.) A voice from the crowd shouted back "Yes, dam ye, and for all our chattels too!"

Robert Walpole, who had been against the South Sea Company from the beginning, took charge and sorted out this terrible financial mess. He was made Chancellor of Exchequer and he divided the National Debt that had been the South Sea Company into three, between the Bank of England, the Treasury and the Sinking Fund.

The Sinking Fund was made up of a portion of the country's income that was put aside every year, and eventually stability returned to the country.

We read about the South Sea Bubble today and wonder how so many people got involved in such a dubious undertaking.

But it must be said, if something similar was to be launched today, who would not be tempted at the thought of a great deal of easy money!! ……………R.I.P. the virtual dot com bubble

supaseagull

Feb 19, 2004
The United Kingdom of Mile Oak
Wall street crash 1929 Wall Street Crash of 1929 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Great Depresion Great Depression - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

It was much worse then, from what i have read on here today people are taking all there money out of their banks? Well that is bad news. Run on the banks are what make it really bad. They need to garentee all the money in the banks.

That's a really good example.

Interestingly enough, I was watching Question Time last week and the head of the CBI said that the worse thing any government can do is to guarantee all savings as this is what happened in the depression of the 1930's.

I can see his point...Can you imagine that the unlikely does happen and Barclays & Lloyds go bust. It would bankrupt the country!

As it happens, I'm with the government on this one. I think they've made the right decision today. It now just needs the Bank of England to follow suit and lower interest rates tomorrow.

This is a unique position as, the average person isn't as affected by the economy as they have been in the past. Interest rates and, despite it rising recently, Inflation is still low and whilst this could be the tip of the iceberg, I think that within the next 12-15 months, things will begin to turn around.

Uncle C

Jul 6, 2004
Bishops Stortford
Yes it has - dozens of times

here's one for example from 1720

The South sea Bubble was UKcentric.

We are talking today of a world economy. Its a completely different ball game.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Well,plan B is to revert to true capitalism and let the whole system collapse.Then we can look forward to the new "New Deal" and wait for the next generation of leeches to suck the economy dry before buggering off with their ill gotten gains whilst the rest of us little people berate our politicians for not keeping a better eye on these avaricious sh*ts.

You're quite the little ray of sunshine, aren't you?

Never mind, eh? Cameron will be in soon. That'll put a smile on your face.

Tubby Mondays

Dec 8, 2005
A Crack House
get Brown and Darling OUT get Cameron and Osbourne IN or get complete ANARCHY

By avoiding the question of whats Plan B it could be said that strangely Brown and capt Darling havent got a Plan B and only a Plan A.

THAT IS STILL ONE MORE PLAN THAN THOSE TWO PUBLIC SCHOOL PILLOW BITERS HAV GOT BETWEEN THEM!

vitusvivi

May 30, 2008
naaa he's agaisnt the ropes but he'll come back with a sucker punch and beat the absolute SHIT out of those fucknig half wit Tories. I'd actually love for Gordon Brown to have a proper fight with david cameron...

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Ironically Tim I have been more impressed with Brown and Darling this week than in the previous 10 years put together.

Considering this 'problem' has spread across the globe like a raging forest fire out of control, I think the responses haven't been too bad.

Pretty much every economy on the planet is suffering from this so are all the Governments at fault. The yanks who can take great pride in the sub prime f*** up and subsequent balls up resolution are really to blame.

Everyone else has had to react with circumstances changing weekly, daily and hourly. Any plan had to be carefully considered for not only now but tomorrow and next week and so far no one has lost any cash in a Britsh bank.

The idiotic lenders need to be held accountable, the regulators need to more carefully regulate, money market speculators should be shot and the media should show some restraint and responsibility.

On top of everything else people in the street need to take a look at themselves and ask if they were too busy taking out unrealistic loans.

Uncle C

Jul 6, 2004
Bishops Stortford
On top of everything else people in the street need to take a look at themselves and ask if they were too busy taking out unrealistic loans.

I was in Homebase today. Right in the entrance was a big sign saying:

Beat the credit crunch - ask about a Homebase card

I give up:shrug:

Chicken Runner61

We stand where we want!
May 20, 2007
I think Cameron and that goon Osbourne would like us to think they are in the loop but I bet they are not.

I am no fan of new labour/leftwing tories but Brown and Darling have done everything expected of them and it would be knitpicking to think otherwise.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
I think Cameron and that goon Osbourne would like us to think they are in the loop but I bet they are not.

I am no fan of new labour/leftwing tories but Brown and Darling have done everything expected of them and it would be knitpicking to think otherwise.

Cameron and all his little elves must be quietly quaking in their boots at ever having to cope with this global financial tsunami. Oh, hang on, they got a Big Idea - thruppence off the council tax in year two :rolleyes:

larus

Oh well. At least Labour are having the decency to try to correct this mess they've been responsible for. (Wait for all the squeals from the Lefties. You can't have it both ways; you can't claim the success for your policies for 11 years, and then blame the shit on 'global events', not unless you're really stupid).

In the past, they've always totally f***ed the economy and then left it to the Tories to fix.

Chicken Runner61

We stand where we want!
May 20, 2007
Oh well. At least Labour are having the decency to try to correct this mess they've been responsible for. (Wait for all the squeals from the Lefties. You can't have it both ways; you can't claim the success for your policies for 11 years, and then blame the shit on 'global events', not unless you're really stupid).

In the past, they've always totally f***ed the economy and then left it to the Tories to fix.

As I said I am no fan of NEW LABOUR/LEFT WING TORIES but

Er...... Who was in power when the IMF/ERM devalued sterling making us the laughing stock of the world.

It was the Tories who belived in "unrestricted economic growth" and they who allowed unrestricted credit. Before they came to power it was ncessary to put 30% deposit down on a bedside cabinet to get the remainder on the never never.

I can think of lots more things to slag `Brown off for but the current state of the economy is not one of them

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here