Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Brizzle Rovers plan new 20,000 seat stadium

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
A Rovers fan has already been over to my desk this morning to say "the same people that built your stadium are building ours" - said it's £40m / 20,000 and will be ready in time for the 2013-14 season.

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
He sounds like an optimistic chap, Bozza. You would think that any Rovers fan would be able to look across the city and see the trouble that City have had. They'll be lucky if they have even started building by 2013/14. Realistically the two Bristol clubs should team up and share a stadium, I know the fans would moan but in a city with limited space and high land prices it would seem the most sensible option.

Martinf

SeenTheBlue&WhiteLight
Mar 13, 2008
Lewes
They've still got to get planning permission - both for the supermarket and the new stadium. I can hear the NIMBYs gnashing their teeth from here!

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
Ready for 2013/14? Optimistic doesn't even cover it. First, they have to find a site, then they have to broker an acceptable deal on the value of the land, then they have to start the design process, and carry out ecology surveys (might require 1 year depending on site and where they sit in the season, they will have to wait till March/April 2012 now for GCN surveys) as well as every other survey they might need dependent on site. I would say end of 2012 would be the vey earliest they have any chance of getting an application ready, if they find the site and start work before the end of this year. If, IF is sales through the planning process without a hitch they may have a decision by Summer 2013 but in all likelihood, how long is a piece of string.

I'm labouring the point but that's wildly optimistic

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Ready for 2013/14? Optimistic doesn't even cover it. First, they have to find a site, then they have to broker an acceptable deal on the value of the land, then they have to start the design process, and carry out ecology surveys (might require 1 year depending on site and where they sit in the season, they will have to wait till March/April 2012 now for GCN surveys) as well as every other survey they might need dependent on site. I would say end of 2012 would be the vey earliest they have any chance of getting an application ready, if they find the site and start work before the end of this year. If, IF is sales through the planning process without a hitch they may have a decision by Summer 2013 but in all likelihood, how long is a piece of string.

That's not what the CIRIA guidance says!

Martinf

SeenTheBlue&WhiteLight
Mar 13, 2008
Lewes
Also - looking at those first images. It doesn't really have that 'wow' factor that a certain other stadium I could mention does.

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
That's not what the CIRIA guidance says!

I'm not an ecologist so might have to bow to your superior knowledge but generally isn't late March - June the optimal time for reptile surveys? That's what we've always been recommended by consultants.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Wow factor isn't really important to a club with desperate need for a decent new stadium. I doubt there would have been many moans from Brighton fans if we had ended up in a bowl style stadium, just so long as we had a stadium!

OSRGull

Jan 20, 2011
N1A

They already have

Joe Gatting's Dad

Feb 10, 2007
Way out west
Slightly different to Bristol City.

The Memorial Stadium is in Bristol City Council area, but the proposed development is in South Gloucestershire, where it is already outlined in their spatial plan. SG want it - just depend on BCC attitude to Sainsbury's.

Sainsbury's already had a super store within half a mile of Ashton Gate.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Slightly different to Bristol City.

The Memorial Stadium is in Bristol City Council area, but the proposed development is in South Gloucestershire, where it is already outlined in their spatial plan. SG want it - just depend on BCC attitude to Sainsbury's.

Sainsbury's already had a super store within half a mile of Ashton Gate.

All correct.

I wonder how far the Tesco, ironically situated on the site of Rovers' old ground, is from the Mem. More than half a mile I'd wager.

portlock seagull

Jul 28, 2003
Looks like those "drawings" were knocked up on a Commodore 64. More in common with Horace Goes Skiing than the AMEX!

Will never happen in the next 5 years. Someone's been on the sherry.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
I'm not an ecologist so might have to bow to your superior knowledge but generally isn't late March - June the optimal time for reptile surveys? That's what we've always been recommended by consultants.

GCN aren't reptiles either :p Reptile surveys March-June and September/October, GCN pond surveys March-June, then larvae and habitat surveys till October. I am a Consultant if you hadn't guessed.

bobby smith

Jan 20, 2011
WORTHING
Brilliant news for Rovers, theyve waited a lot longer than us since Eastville went, i saw the Alb play there many times.
One floodlight was left up on the site for many years, now a retail park, and Fans used to tie scarves to it :)

Billy in Bristol

Mar 25, 2004
Bristol
They've still got to get planning permission - both for the supermarket and the new stadium. I can hear the NIMBYs gnashing their teeth from here!

I live 600 yards from the Mem, and you bet the NIMBYS will be up in arms, but there again they didn't want the stadium redevelopment in the first place, Catch 22...? Hoisted by their petard etc...

Roads and access will be an issue as heavily residential, so nothing like Falmer or the City plans which were 'green belt' type issues.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here