Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

British Sea Power - Komedia

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
Anyone going tonight or tomorrow? Judging by the setlists I've seen from the tour it is going to be a bit of an epic.

It will be good to hear the new album live as well. it's really grown on me after a difficult start!

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
I'm going tonight. Would go tomorrow too if I could afford it. My friend's going tonight, tomorrow and friday!

My 16th Sea Power gig.

Have to say last time I saw them at Komedia it was a bit crap though. No moshing at all, not like their old shows. The crowd were like the north stand at Withdean.

Have only heard the new album for the first time today, again, as I couldn't afford it. Hmmm.

Last edited:

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
Looking forward to it tonight. I agree with Notters about the last komedia show but the follow up at digital more than made up for that one.

Carrot Cruncher

NHS Slave
Helpful Moderator
Jul 30, 2003
Southampton, United Kingdom
For me, in relation to the new album, it's their best work ever up to 'Baby', which leaves me a bit cold. 'Living Is So Easy' and 'Observe the Skies' are both ace. I find the rest still quite hard work, with the exception of 'Thin Black Sail' which is their best sub-2 minute piece of mentalism since 'Favours in the Beetroot Fields'.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Apparently the new album was nearly called "over the Sussex Downs" or something. Wish it had been.

Where's kevo when you need him. He knows everything about the Power.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Looking forward to it tonight. I agree with Notters about the last komedia show but the follow up at digital more than made up for that one.

The Digital show was ace although I hate the club. They wouldn't let Wood in and I ran out to tell the bouncers that he was the drummer :facepalm:

Carrot Cruncher

NHS Slave
Helpful Moderator
Jul 30, 2003
Southampton, United Kingdom
Apparently the new album was nearly called "over the Sussex Downs" or something. Wish it had been.

There's a line in Luna that mentions them. "When there are interstellar clouds on the Sussex Downs".

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
Thin Black Sail is apparently awesome live - it would have been at home on Decline.

I genuinely can't separate their other albums bar Decline. The debut is one of the best English records of the last 10 years, I love the other records for other reasons, Open Season showed off their skill for delicate songwriting, Rock Music is over the top brilliance & the new one seems to sum up everything that makes them a great band.

Not forgetting the excellent Man of Aran and the knack they have for a great B-Side/non album track. I remember a few years ago they supported themselves with a B-Sides set at The Freebutt and it was nearly as good as the main set.

One thing, the traditional free jam to end the show has gone (Rock In A), it'll be wierd to see them live and them not do it. However, if they close with Spirit of St Louis all will be forgiven.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Did anyone else go to the show last year at the Hope? It was all requests and with a capacity of about 100 it was ace, though they were all absolutely wrecked :)

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
Did anyone else go to the show last year at the Hope? It was all requests and with a capacity of about 100 it was ace, though they were all absolutely wrecked :)

Was that the new year thing? I was totally wrecked myself but seem to remember the Batman theme getting an outing.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Was that the new year thing? I was totally wrecked myself but seem to remember the Batman theme getting an outing.

No, it was a "secret" gig they day after they did that crappy festival on the seafront. Found out about it through their forum but it was full when we turned up so we had to spend hours begging to get in.

Exiled in Exeter

Jul 16, 2003
W3D
I’m going to the one on Thursday. Can’t wait!

How was the Wednesday gig? What time did it finish?

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
Really good - I was dead stage centre about 10 rows back the sound was good from there, though you couldn't really hear Abi. Quite lively at the front, which I haven't seen for a while, a fair share of idiots including one near fight involving a man in a mustard yellow top, who had clearly forgotten to bring his brain. Really good varied setlist, new album stuff was decent and there were a few suprises as well. All albums got an airing but it was weighted toward Decline and the new album. No Spirit of St Louis but you can't have anything. Larsen B, Apologies, Great Skua, Mongk II, Blackout were amongst the many highlights.

Finished dead on 11

Last edited:

kevo

Mar 8, 2008

Sorry, I didn't see you Notters- bumped into Simon of G block Eggheads fame tho...!

Thought it was a great gig, one of the best I've seen recently - really good mix of songs and the sound was superb. I'm sure they would have done St Louis btw, but they ran out of time. Dead cert for tomorrow - get down there if you can.

Last edited:

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
A bit of a mixed bag for me. Definitely better than the last Komedia show though. Some real highlights included an epic Skua which just gets better every time they play it, just exquisite. Really glad to see Light Out get such a good reception as I bloody love that song. Thought the gig did drift a little in the middle so a rather mean 7/10 for me. Still was excellent to see them and I thought the new songs slotted into the set really well, I can see one or three definitely hanging around in the set for a long time.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here