Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

British Prime Ministers Under Queen Elizabeth II Realm - Poll

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Maggie and Blair get an equal tops rating for me. They were what was needed at the time. I do not think that any of the rest rate near them since 1966. I think Gordon Brown deserves a mention though because through his antics he undermined Blair to the detriment of the country and when he got to PM he was distastrous.

If you disagree with me about Brown, ask yourself this question, would Scotland want him ? Raith Rovers yes but Scotland a definite NO !!

Brown was a reasonable chancellor although got carried away with his ego.

3 Sir Winston Churchill 1952-1955
2 Sir Anthony Eden 1955-1957
5 Harold Macmillan 1957-1963
2 Sir Alec Douglas-Home 1963-1964
7 Harold Wilson 1964-1970 & 1974-1976
3 Edward Heath 1970-1974
5 James Callaghan 1976-1979
3 Margaret Thatcher 1979-1990
4 John Major 1990-1997
6 Tony Blair 1997-2007
4 Gordon Brown 2007-2010
2 David Cameron 2010-present

Seagull on the wing

Sep 22, 2010
Hailsham
Churchill for the wartime....although as First Lord of the Admiralty during the First wold war did not go too well with the Dardenelles campaign.(8)
Maggie for her taking this country out of the grip of the Unions(9)
Worst Prime minister in my book Edward Heath (3) followed closely by Brown
Blair was a liar and a cheat and is still fleecing everybody.
I've been a person who has lived under everyone of these Prime ministers....you will never find the perfect Minister because of the 'One mans meat is another ones poison'

ALBION28

Jul 26, 2011
DONCASTER
Sir Winston Churchill 1952-1955 = 3
Sir Anthony Eden 1955-1957 = 1
Harold Macmillan 1957-1963 = 7
Sir Alec Douglas-Home 1963-1964 = 1
Harold Wilson 1964-1970 & 1974-1976 = 6
Edward Heath 1970-1974 = 3
James Callaghan 1976-1979 = 5
Margaret Thatcher 1979-1990 = 2
John Major 1990-1997 = 1
Tony Blair 1997-2007 = 3
Gordon Brown 2007-2010 = 2
David Cameron 2010-present = 1

tweenster

Oct 16, 2009
Lincoln
Maggie and Blair get an equal tops rating for me. They were what was needed at the time. I do not think that any of the rest rate near them since 1966.
I agree with most of this, and would also add that it is only relevant for their first, and possibly second terms. By the third they were both liabilities and, IMHO, Blair must go down in British political history as the most corrupt individual ever to be Prime Minister. His Wikipedia entry also makes amusing reading; the man has clearly lost the plot!

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
More realistically it would be a better sample of whom you think is bestest PM, if you gave your reasons why. At the moment the lefties are just voting for their own, and not giving an unbiased opinion, unlike the reasonable right.
So for me, you can only give a true opinion of a PM under whom you have lived and paid taxes too. Otherwise it's just a hearsay opinion from your parents or news written or otherwise of the time, or worse still from opinion makers writing with hindsight from people who were in nappies at the time.
So for me Maggie, 10. For curing a sick country and giving it back some self respect.

So for me, you can only give a true opinion of a PM under whom you have lived and paid taxes too.
What about receiving benefits? In which case, I'll big up all of them (except Cameron) who have defended the retention of universal Child Benefit, first introduced (as Family Allowance) by the Attlee government.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
Churchill was well past his prime by then.

Probably Wilson in his 1960s period. The more recent ones from Callaghan onwards stink.

DBL

Banned
Sep 22, 2011
Football has always traditionally attracted a much greater percentage of lefties, so NSC is no different. No doubt the survey would give a total different set of results on Sussex Cricket or a Rugby fanzine site.

Maggie and Blair get an equal tops rating for me. They were what was needed at the time. I do not think that any of the rest rate near them since 1966. I think Gordon Brown deserves a mention though because through his antics he undermined Blair to the detriment of the country and when he got to PM he was distastrous.

If you disagree with me about Brown, ask yourself this question, would Scotland want him ? Raith Rovers yes but Scotland a definite NO !!

........scores on the doors?

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Blair must go down in British political history as the most corrupt individual ever to be Prime Minister.

You mean apart from the first, Robert Walpole. He was notorious for his corruption and venality in any age when it was taken for granted that politicians were dodgy. He was jailed for corruption and satirised as a highwayman by Gay. There were plenty of crims and sleazeballs in the first 100 years of premierships.

Staggered by some high scores of Churchill - by 1953 he was nearly gaga and the UK drifted hopelessly while the rest of his cabinet jostled for succession - possibly the worst government since the 19th century.

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
What about receiving benefits? In which case, I'll big up all of them (except Cameron) who have defended the retention of universal Child Benefit, first introduced (as Family Allowance) by the Attlee government.

To go down that route we have to include the person that has probably had an equally beneficial effect on the Country, and every person in it. Although he was never PM, so was not in the OP's poll. Aneurin Bevan.

Tony Towner's Fridge

Aug 22, 2003
GLASGOW,SCOTLAND,UK
Churchill was voted greatest ever Brit. Of that there can be no doubt. To put him in a poll with Tony Blur and Gordon Brown is surely a poll for the question, 'who has the longest inside leg measurement' and little more?

Ridiculous!

TNBA

TTF

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here