Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

British Museum

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
Anyone on here been, and if so, is it worth a visit?

Brian Fantana

Oct 8, 2006
In the field
Yes I go along quite regularly and in my opinion it is well worth a visit. There are a wide variety of exhibitions which cover many different time periods.

They always have a special exhibit on as well, at the moment I think it is something about Babylon.

If you are all interested in ancient greek and roman architecture and art then the museum is fantastic for that as well.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Anyone on here been, and if so, is it worth a visit?

Too be honest, I've always found the British Museum to be quite old fashioned and boring in the way it presents the stuff we went running the world stealing in the past :)lol:)

Unless it's something that's of interest to you, once you seen one mummy and one Greek or Roman statue, you seen them all.

Natural History Museum is better I think, plus the science museum is nearby.

All down to taste I presume.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Go as soon as you can, I am sure it won't be long before some handwringer decrees it is racist and closes it down, or insists all the exhibits are replaced with items from other countires.

Scotty Mac

Jul 13, 2003
Go as soon as you can, I am sure it won't be long before some handwringer decrees it is racist and closes it down, or insists all the exhibits are replaced with items from other countires.

i am pretty certain a museum that presents the version of history in which britain is the most powerful nation in the world is racist

personally, id prefer it to be PACKED with muslim memorabilia so as not to offend, and have 'hands on' exhibitions for children where you can throw stones at an adulter, and use some form of cutting device to lope the hands off of thieves :jester:

Tom Bombadil

Jul 14, 2003
Jibrovia
I think it's excellent. Obviously how much you like it is going to depend on whether you'r interested in hitory or not. IMO it's pretty awe inspiring standing next to objects which are several millenia old.

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
Cheers guys.

I've been to the Natural History and Science Museums loads of times down the years, but never the British. Seems like it might be worth a look round.

RexCathedra

Aurea Mediocritas
Jan 14, 2005
Vacationland
Some of us would kill to be concerned which Tube stop is closer.

Go visit for me.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003

I think the British Museum is generally full of items from other countries....

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
I hear it's lost it's charm.

Coat!

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
The Sex Museum in Prague is my favourite.
They have some great stuff from bar stools with built in dildos to Victorian devices to stop 15 year old boys from mastabating by sounding a bell in the parlour. (you`ll have to go, I cant explain)
Who wants mummys ?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here