Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

British cup plans drawn up

MRRF 10

Plans have been drawn up for the winners of the English and Scottish League Cups to play each other every season, starting this May.

And it has emerged that a drinks firm is the driving force behind negotiations to set up a British Cup.

A spokesman for Coors Brewers, who sponsor England's League Cup and Rangers and Celtic through their Carling brand, said: "Through Carling's involvement with the Old Firm and English football, we know there is a massive buzz around games involving English and Scottish clubs.

"Just look at Rangers v Manchester Utd and last season's Celtic v Liverpool and Blackburn Rovers.

"If our plan is successful and we can work with footballing authorities and the clubs to create a framework they accept, this could become the cup final of cup finals.

"It's a great opportunity for Carling to give fans both sides of the border the chance to find out which team really is the best in Great Britain."

Celtic manager Martin O'Neill has given his tentative backing to the proposed competition, but has claimed that others may not be so keen.

O'Neill said: "I think the competition would obviously take on a greater significance if there was a game like that at the end of the season.

"But that is calendar permitting - if you could fit it in, especially if the side down south is still heavily involved in the latter stages of European competition."

A decision is expected before Christmas on whether the proposals can become reality. Such a competition has been mooted many times before but only now has it ever come close.

The consent of the 20 Premiership chairmen is regarded as the final piece in the jigsaw, although that is far from certain.

An end-of-season date is preferred as it is felt a pre-season slot would tarnish the match as a friendly - May 25 has been pencilled in as the preferred date, although that is a day before the Champions League final.

The winners would pick up around £450,000 while the loser would earn £300,000 as well as a share of television revenue.

If it was to become a regular fixture then it would be alternated between the two nations, with the inaugural competition earmarked for Hampden Park.

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Minteh Wonderland
It would hardly be a true battle of Britain when the top teams don't give a shite about the League Cup anyway.

To create some interest, they should merge the ENTIRE League cup competition, not just the final.

¡Cereal Killer!

Whale Oil Beef Hooked
Sep 13, 2003
Somewhere over there...
I agree with wozza there.

Talking about competitions, the LDV vans, i think that the winner of that should get an automatic bye to the 3rd round of the FA Cup in the next season, that would make it more interesting.

Nottingham Seagull

Dec 17, 2003
Nottingham
Why do they have to use the worst competition of the bunch? Why not a SPL Champions vs Premiership Champions game to start the season? That would be better, I'd look forward to that one. Not really sure I could get into a British Cup game between the League Cup winners.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Not a bad idea in theory, but the whole thing is geared to a Rangers v Liverpool/Celtic v Man United type game. Aston Villa v Hibs doesn't quite have the same allure, and that is a big possibility in that competition.

Kenhead

Oct 1, 2003
Brighton
i think that would be good, personaily i think that they should combine the league cup all together

Scotty Mac

Jul 13, 2003
Nottingham Seagull said:
Why do they have to use the worst competition of the bunch? Why not a SPL Champions vs Premiership Champions game to start the season? That would be better, I'd look forward to that one. Not really sure I could get into a British Cup game between the League Cup winners.

yeah. i agree. no clubs in england take the league cup seriously anyway. the only 'big' team left in the competition this season is arsenal, and its only their reserves side who has got them there (thrashing wolves and beating west brom along the way, but struggling against the might millers in a penalty shoot out!)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here