Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Britain does the Gurkha,s proud !

Hatterlovesbrighton

something clever
Jul 28, 2003
Not Luton! Thank God
Do you actually know the facts of the case. The case surrounds those who served in the Ghurkas before 1997, when they were based in Hong Kong. It's entirely possible that none of them ever set foot in the UK while they were serving. All that served since 97 are entitled to settle here and bring their families over.

Leekbrookgull

Jul 14, 2005
Leek
and why should those not ever setting foot here whilst on service for this country be denied ? When you look at what this government accepts as a 'decent' citizen i find it hard to see why a the government has an issue with the Gurkhas. :albion2:

Wardy

NSC's Benefits Guru
Oct 9, 2003
In front of the PC
Do you actually know the facts of the case. The case surrounds those who served in the Ghurkas before 1997, when they were based in Hong Kong. It's entirely possible that none of them ever set foot in the UK while they were serving. All that served since 97 are entitled to settle here and bring their families over.

That in my mind actually makes it worse. That our government will not allow someone to live here who risked their life for this country despite never having been here, while allowing someone to live here who only came here because we are a soft touch.

Even the French are getting pissed off with us, because they are having to deal with the thousands of people who are at their ports waiting to be allowed / smuggled into England.

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
Glad the 10 billion Africans who live round by me who laugh openly to you about their illegal status are OK though. Harriet Harman has just been over to Ghana this week to see how the money they are sending back from the illegals in her constituency is being spent, and wank ing about what a success it is.

Keep voting Labour in unaffected Brighton for f***ing up London, cheers. Next stop the amnesty!

Last edited:

Don Quixote

Nov 4, 2008
Glad the 10 billion Africans who live round by me who laugh openly to you about their illegal status are OK though. Harriet Harman has just been over to Ghana this week to see how the money they are sending back is being spent, and wank ing about what a success it is.

Keep voting Labour in Brighton for f***ing up London, cheers. Next stop the amnesty!

10 billion! Woa! That's a lot. I didn't realise immigration was that bad. I shall be voting BNP in then next election.

:yawn:

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
10 billion! Woa! That's a lot. I didn't realise immigration was that bad. I shall be voting BNP in then next election.

:yawn:

why should you vote BNP, immigration is not your concern, in Brighton. Easy to have principles when they are not tested.

In fairness I think the Ghurka issue is emotive, if everyone who served in the Indian Army in WW2 was granted residency that would really cause a bit more soul searching.

Don't jump to conclusions mate, this is an emotive issue and the Gurkhas will always get public sympathy. Wait until you deal with a f***ed up immigration system daily before you jump down peoples throats because you think they are bigots first though mate.

Last edited:

Leekbrookgull

Jul 14, 2005
Leek
Don,in times of trouble i don't know who you would like on your 'side' ? However can i have these guys ? Please. :bigwave:

Attachments

• gurkha_682_469708a.jpg
    gurkha_682_469708a.jpg
    117.2 KB · Views: 217

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Absolute disgrace. This government should be ashamed of itself. Just one of a long line of absolutely ridiculous decisions.

seagulls4ever

Oct 2, 2003
The new settlement criterion is an absolute joke. This is a case which I have been following since last year and the way they have been treated is absolutely disgusting. A complete and utter injustice. These are men who have fought alongside British troops for over 200 years. You would think that after fighting for this country they would be afforded the liberty of being able to stay here after completion of service.

Spicy

We're going up.
Dec 18, 2003
London
If we are going to allow Ghurkhas residency here, why are we not opening our doors to all the other Commonwealth citizens who have fought alongside British troops? Surely they have an equal claim, and that could equate to thousands of people.

And as to the French, they should be asking those so called asylum seekers on their side of the channel, who are in a safe country, whether they want to claim asylum in France - if they do not then they should deport they back to their own countries.

While I'm in support of the Ghurkas, can in not be said that they fought in the same war for democracy? It was a World War we were part of - and if soldiers fought abroad entirely then they are doing almost the same as the Russians and Australians did.
Wouldn't that mean we ought to naturalize them as well?

Were there other mercenaries fighting on our side, who's country wasn't occupied or under siege?

Should all British soldiers fighting in Iraq and Afghanistan be open to legally claim US residency and citizenship, or other nationalities that have sent forces? (and there are several, I believe)

Spicy

We're going up.
Dec 18, 2003
London
While I'm in support of the Ghurkas, can in not be said that they fought in the same war for democracy? It was a World War we were part of - and if soldiers fought abroad entirely then they are doing almost the same as the Russians and Australians did.

Were there other mercenaries fighting on our side, who's country wasn't occupied or under siege?

Should all British soldiers fighting in Iraq and Afghanistan be open to legally claim US residency and citizenship, or other nationalities that have sent forces? (and there are several, I believe)

I think the answer has to be no as we are a small island when compared to other countries.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

i dont really care where they served, they where part of the British Army and i think its appaling that their service for this country is not recognised by allowing them to come to this country.

not really the same is it, they are under the command of their respective governments and retain their own national army code and traditions. the Gurkhas are under the command of the British Army, not a secondment from the Nepalese army or under their political direction.

seagulls4ever

Oct 2, 2003
If we are going to allow Ghurkhas residency here, why are we not opening our doors to all the other Commonwealth citizens who have fought alongside British troops? Surely they have an equal claim, and that could equate to thousands of people.

And as to the French, they should be asking those so called asylum seekers on their side of the channel, who are in a safe country, whether they want to claim asylum in France - if they do not then they should deport they back to their own countries.

The major difference is that the Gurhkas are actually part of the British army.

Stoo82

GEEZUS!
Jul 8, 2008
Hove

Because Ghurkhas ARE in THE BRITISH ARMY and not in, for example, the kenyan army or Australian army.

Thats why its such a discrace.

Lindfield by the Pond

Jan 10, 2009
Lindfield (near the pond)
It's a disgrace. If we recruit and pay these guys to stand on the front line and be maimed and killed at the behest of the British government, and they do so out of a sense of tradition and loyalty to our country, then the least we should do for them is allow them to live in this country. f***ing disgraceful.

Whitterz

Mmmmm? Marvellous
Aug 9, 2008
Eastbourne
disgraceful decision. I would much rather have these people living in or country than some of the gold diggers we let in. We house terrorists who plot to blow up our people. Tax payers PAY fro these people to LIVE here, yet Ghurkas are refused. Foreigners that sacrifice thier lives for our liberty. Im no racist, but anyone can see that all the immigrants BYPASS all the other EU countries to come to this Island purely for the economic benefits in state handouts they will get. This country is a bloody joke. It pains me to say that I am ashamed to be British.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here