Votes: 11 16.4%
  • Neither / Don't care

Votes: 10 14.9%

• Total voters

Hampden Park

Ex R.N.
Oct 7, 2003
Lokki 7 said:
I agree, but it won't happen as it is a Christian celebration, and the point of this new holiday is for minorities to feel more included.

Christians are now in the minority, since the arrival of the Muslims :jester:

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Does anybody consider themselves more British than English? I wouldn't have thought too many people consider themselves British first and foremost.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
blimey another one of these....where do you come from?

I regard myself as English if asked specifically, British if asked at passport control

Tesco in Disguise

Where do we go from here?
Jul 5, 2003
Wienerville
eu-flag.gif

hampden park said:
Christians are now in the minority, since the arrival of the Muslims :jester:

That would be true, if it wasn't for all those eastern european invaders. :angry:

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
Humankinds thousands of years of global roaming, nesting, warring, contesting, self-indulging, haunting, hounding and devolving in the name of individual betterment means that landmass has little to do with our identity. More just that we are somewhere, and the personal events that unfold there are what make us the clownish clones we are. Maybe.
I am not sure i was openly raised as a race, but i suppose i was and am English, or just Brightonian, or Lewes Roadian with a modernised London influence. Then my mum found out her long-dead mother was Jewish and our ancestry in that thread is Lithuanian jewish. The village our namesakes likely lived in was destroyed and burnt in the late 19th century as anti-semetism swamped certain areas (although my definites are also long-dead now, so i am just summarising what i was told). I tell people now
i am Lithuanian Jewish, but only to be a silly bugger about things. Does anyone think there may be another Meadesballian out
there somewhere?

Braders

Abi Fletchers Gimpboy
Jul 15, 2003
Brighton, United Kingdom
:wave: Sussex and Proud

to any foreign visitors i'm English

anyone else can f**k off

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
I consider myself English, I think that other home countries prefer to maintain their home nation's identity too.

Seems though that if a Scot for example wins a World Boxing Championship he'd be referred to as 'British' by our tabloid press but he was English he'd be reffered to as 'English'.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Interesting. Only 22% are happy to consider themselves or prefer to be known as British.

Just a thought, bearing in mind that, up until about 10-12 years ago, England supporters were always associated with the Union Flag, and, together with all the connotations that that symoblism had, I wonder what these figures would have been among football fans 10-12 years ago?

Just a though, like.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Race said:
8th may. VE day
We need a NEW Bank Holiday date, prefeably one not on top of the previous one.

Are there any significant historical dates between the end of August and Christmas - or, indeed, between New Year and Easter - when there are two lots of three-four months periods of no Bank Holidays?

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
The Large One said:
We need a NEW Bank Holiday date, prefeably one not on top of the previous one.

Are there any significant historical dates between the end of August and Christmas - or, indeed, between New Year and Easter - when there are two lots of three-four months periods of no Bank Holidays?

July 11th. Mine and Yul Brinner's birthday.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here