Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Brilliant Away Support

NF9

Feb 24, 2009
Brighton
we should take 1000+ to 4 or 5 games next season even if they are played midweek,brentford,saints,charlton.orient are nearly certain with gillingham,southend,millwall,mk dons,colchester.swindon,bristol rovers and norwich all possibles if doing well,cant wait:drink:

I Bloody love Away days:clap2: :yahoo: :yahoo:

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
We had a long conversation about this back in October. Some interesting stats (or not) we're covered in there http://nortr3nixy.nimpr.uk/showthread.php?t=134750

Walsall, 107 miles per game
Leicester, 111 miles per game
Northampton, 112 miles per game
MK Dons, 118 miles per game
Cheltenham , 122 miles per game
Peterborough, 124 miles per game
Crewe , 124 miles per game
Stockport , 131 miles per game
Swindon, 132 miles per game
Huddersfield, 136 miles per game
Oldham, 137 miles per game
Millwall, 140 miles per game
Leeds, 140 miles per game
Hereford, 140 miles per game
Leyton Orient, 141 miles per game
Scunthorpe, 146 miles per game
Bristol Rovers, 149 miles per game
Tranmere, 152 miles per game
Colchester, 168 miles per game
Southend, 168 miles per game
Yeovil, 178 miles per game
Brighton, 188 miles per game
Hartlepool, 199 miles per game
Carlisle, 226 miles per game

When we factored in av number of fans x av number of miles travelled to a game (ie took out remoteness from the equation) BHA fans were 5th.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Very suprised that we only averaged 42 more than Stockport

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
Not many fans with less distance to travel to away games than Stockport though. Albion fans facing an extra 50 miles on average per match - I guess that makes a big difference.

Incidentally, if Scunthorpe go up today, our average journey to an away game will drop to 164 miles (24 down on last year, 15th furthest in the 2009/10 L1), if Millwall go up it will be 173 miles (15 down on last year, 18th furthest). So despite all the 'local' games, being in the South East is still a big disadvantage.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
It just goes to show how important it was to stay up last season, it was money well spent by the board.

Deano's Invisible Pants

Mar 1, 2008
Our away following has actually declined much more in recent years than our home attendances. Now if we get 1,500+ at Orient people think that's good. In the mid 90s we regularly took 3,000+ to London games (even when we were in the bottom division).

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Our away following has actually declined much more in recent years than our home attendances. Now if we get 1,500+ at Orient people think that's good. In the mid 90s we regularly took 3,000+ to London games (even when we were in the bottom division).

Hardly suprising, Adams had us playing the worst football since the Gillingham days and you'd have to have been a hard core fan to bother with too many way trips whilst he was in charge. I imagine the away games under Slade made that average up big time.

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West
I would hope that the following factors should make a real difference next season:

- Falmer secured, and visible progress on the site almost daily;
- Having a manager virtually everyone wants;
- Some decent football for the first time in about 5 years;
- Hopefully in the top 10 for most if not all of the season;
- Some really good local games where 2,000+ should be the norm.

I'd be disappointed if we didn't average near 1,000 across the season. I can't wait!

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD

But in the mid nineties we had a home.

Seaford by the sea

Sep 29, 2008
seaford
I think it is fair to say that our away following was artificially high when we played at Gillingham and in the championship seasons.

With regard to those stats the reason oldham, stockport and hudds are up there is the capacity of away ends up north. each of them hold 2500 - 4000 (and leeds) add peterborugh and leicester into that two team we played on a tuesday I think you'll find the stats are very different next year. I expect us to be around the 1200 mark.

The highest away attendance for albion in 08/09 was 2130 at MK but we will get £3K at both Southhampton and Charlton, that will skew things significantly.

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
I would vote the best and most impressive away support to be Carlisle United.

Barry Izbak

U.T.A.
Dec 7, 2005
Lancing By Sea
One of the things that is impressive about Leeds number is that there were several grounds in this division where you can't fit 2,500 away fans in; Withdean, Cheltenham, Brizzle, Sarfend, Crewe, Cobblers, Hereford.
The three big grounds coming down next year will probably put Leeds away numbers up (if they have stopped crying by then)

eastlondonseagull

Jan 15, 2004
West Yorkshire
We had a long conversation about this back in October. Some interesting stats (or not) we're covered in there http://nortr3nixy.nimpr.uk/showthread.php?t=134750

Walsall, 107 miles per game
Leicester, 111 miles per game
Northampton, 112 miles per game
MK Dons, 118 miles per game
Cheltenham , 122 miles per game
Peterborough, 124 miles per game
Crewe , 124 miles per game
Stockport , 131 miles per game
Swindon, 132 miles per game
Huddersfield, 136 miles per game
Oldham, 137 miles per game
Millwall, 140 miles per game
Leeds, 140 miles per game
Hereford, 140 miles per game
Leyton Orient, 141 miles per game
Scunthorpe, 146 miles per game
Bristol Rovers, 149 miles per game
Tranmere, 152 miles per game
Colchester, 168 miles per game
Southend, 168 miles per game
Yeovil, 178 miles per game
Brighton, 188 miles per game
Hartlepool, 199 miles per game
Carlisle, 226 miles per game

When we factored in av number of fans x av number of miles travelled to a game (ie took out remoteness from the equation) BHA fans were 5th.

So we travelled the third most, yet had the fifth best following? That is AWESOME :)

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex

rose tinted , i can remember being on a pretty empty terrace at bournemouth for example and remember many away trips which whilst good support , certainly was no worse than it is now

I think we had a peak of away attendances when we got back to withdean as many people re found the passion. It's evened off to how it always was now IMO

shoreham moonraker

Apr 11, 2009
i really find those figures hard to believe, speaking as a swindon season ticket holder biggest away day followings were bristol rovers (local), leicester, and leeds. Peterborough, oldham, MK dons and stockport brought f*** all, f*** knows how there averages was so high?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here