Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Brighton's women's team - what's going on

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Mental turnover of players in the squad after our best ever finish. Doesn't inspire much confidence really, feels like its very much a backwards step. I suspect relegation from the WSL is a MASSIVE blow for most women's teams, making relegation to the Championship seem trivial in comparison. Would be very odd to see the amount of work put in to promote this side of the game be hampered by comedically bad handling on the pitch with half our squad gone.

Is the turnover of players different to last summer ? Is it more or less than other WSL teams ? (I don’t know). You seem to know though given you’ve described it as “mental”. , and a “backward step”. And “comically bad handling” of the club/squad . (Is it ? Because several young prospects have left for better paid contracts ? )

Pondicherry

May 25, 2007
Horsham
My original point that seems to have got lost a bit, was that in my opinion, women's football is not at the level of men's football (and may take a long time to get there). There is a limited market for paying to watch live football and so I suspect the women's game will struggle to grow as a spectator sport that people pay to watch. As a participation sport it may well grow.

I am not trying to equate men's football to women's football. They are the same sport played to a vastly different standard at the professional level and there is no point comparing the two in that way. I agree with the comment Brovian makes above about comparing Ellen Whites record to Rooney's.

However what I would say is that the amount of media coverage is disproportionately large for the women's game when compared to the men's game played at the same level.

Yes there are lots of different standards of football that people can pay to watch (or free) and get enjoyment from and there is nothing wrong with that. However, in order to grow a sport it needs to be competitive in terms of entertainment, price and convenience. For me living in Horsham, if I had a choice of watching Horsham in Horsham or Brighton Women at Crawley (do they still play there?) I go to Horsham (even though I am a Brighton STH).

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
I agree, however it's not helped when the Guardian run articles such as "Ellen White is one goal from Rooney's record - and fully his equal" - https://www.theguardian.com/football/2022/jul/13/ellen-white-wayne-rooney-england-record-equal

I know it's just standard Guardian clickbait as White herself says they can't be compared. It's a bit like saying that neither of them are as good as Jimmy Anderson as he has more Test wickets for England than both of their goal totals combined.

Playing Devil's advocate, what's wrong with that? In the context of England's football teams White is Rooney's equal in a goalscoring sense. Unfortunately, although in many ways it's a false equivalence, some people can only view the women's game through the lens of the men's.

By the same logic, you probably shouldn't be comparing Greaves and Charlton with Lineker, or with Shearer, or with Rooney, or with Kane. Yes they play the same sport, but the standards required across those eras is vastly different.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I think this is partly why I'm so surprised by this summer. Is name recognition our problem? The ladies team has their own training facilities and the investment in the female game at our club seems to me to be at least in line with what other clubs are offering. Is the issue we're having keeping and attracting players because players would prefer to play for the biggest club?

Money. Same as always :shrug:

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
My original point that seems to have got lost a bit, was that in my opinion, women's football is not at the level of men's football (and may take a long time to get there). There is a limited market for paying to watch live football and so I suspect the women's game will struggle to grow as a spectator sport that people pay to watch. As a participation sport it may well grow.

I am not trying to equate men's football to women's football. They are the same sport played to a vastly different standard at the professional level and there is no point comparing the two in that way. I agree with the comment Brovian makes above about comparing Ellen Whites record to Rooney's.

However what I would say is that the amount of media coverage is disproportionately large for the women's game when compared to the men's game played at the same level.

Yes there are lots of different standards of football that people can pay to watch (or free) and get enjoyment from and there is nothing wrong with that. However, in order to grow a sport it needs to be competitive in terms of entertainment, price and convenience. For me living in Horsham, if I had a choice of watching Horsham in Horsham or Brighton Women at Crawley (do they still play there?) I go to Horsham (even though I am a Brighton STH).

How limited is the market ? You’re lumping men’s and women’s games back together again - not many of the thousands of screaming schoolgirls at the Amex last week are regular live (mens) football watchers I doubt, and it’ll be interesting to see if/how the Lioness effect turbocharges the growth. The audience for men’s football is far closer to it’s peak than for the women’s game where there is huge room for growth. As for media coverage, that’s a bit of a daft claim IMO. On any Saturday or Sunday the main papers will have pages and pages (and pullouts) dedicated to the PL and down to Div 2 with barely a mention of the women’s game, there is wall to wall men’s football on TV during the season compared to one or two women’s games a week (even with their increased contract) and they are almost entirely WSL and not below that.

Women’s football is competitive in terms of entertainment, price and convenience - locally, a championship (T2) women’s game costs about the same as a tier 7 game and the technical standard is at least as high (IMO).

Completely understand anyone that doesn’t want to watch it, or has to make a choice though.

Uter

Aug 5, 2008
The land of chocolate
other than costs for small crowds, i recall the planning permission limit wouldnt allow the number of games.

Limit is 50 outdoor events per year. Plus there is a provision to seek special permission to hold events in excess of this number. It's highly unlikely to ever be an issue, even in the most exceptional of seasons or if the WSL expanded to 20 teams.

"13. The total number of Outdoor Events within the Stadium shall not exceed 50 in any
period of 12 months, of which not more than two shall be music concerts. Any proposed
events in addition to these shall be subject to the prior written approval of the Local
Planning Authority."

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
The level of WF over the years has increased incredibly and it is now great that young girls are now seeing it as a game to play. However it is no good those on here comparing mens and womens game. It is a totally different game for a spectator and needs to create a new audience.
In the past we have let players go because we upgraded. First time this year to see players leave that we wanted to stay. With crowds of 7/800 at £5 a time there will be a limit which will be quite low that Bloom is prepared to pay and I can understand that.
All think there is a great future to womens pro football but can those in the know indicate what youj think Albions aim is. Surely even with gates of say 3k and tickets £5 it can do nothing more than lose big bucks.
It is no good FA saying after Euros how big the crowds are. It is crowds supporting league games that is the true indication of interest.
I am going to game tomorrow

Uter

Aug 5, 2008
The land of chocolate
The level of WF over the years has increased incredibly and it is now great that young girls are now seeing it as a game to play. However it is no good those on here comparing mens and womens game. It is a totally different game for a spectator and needs to create a new audience.
In the past we have let players go because we upgraded. First time this year to see players leave that we wanted to stay. With crowds of 7/800 at £5 a time there will be a limit which will be quite low that Bloom is prepared to pay and I can understand that.
All think there is a great future to womens pro football but can those in the know indicate what youj think Albions aim is. Surely even with gates of say 3k and tickets £5 it can do nothing more than lose big bucks.
It is no good FA saying after Euros how big the crowds are. It is crowds supporting league games that is the true indication of interest.
I am going to game tomorrow

Not in the know, but the stated aim is to become a top 4 club in the WSL. I suspect they want regular European qualification (top 3 qualify at present) as they see this as probable big growth area in terms of TV deals etc.

I'd agree that even if crowds rise substantially the gate receipts will not cover costs, but that's just as true for the PL if not more so.

The big money will likely be in media and commercial income. At least that's how Tony Bloom must see it as he's made a huge bet on this with his investment in the training facility. I wouldn't bet against him.

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Playing Devil's advocate, what's wrong with that? In the context of England's football teams White is Rooney's equal in a goalscoring sense. Unfortunately, although in many ways it's a false equivalence, some people can only view the women's game through the lens of the men's.

By the same logic, you probably shouldn't be comparing Greaves and Charlton with Lineker, or with Shearer, or with Rooney, or with Kane. Yes they play the same sport, but the standards required across those eras is vastly different.
O/T - it's a good point about comparing over the ages. The current women's 100m record time is 10.49. This would have been enough to win the MEN'S 100m race in 1956 and in every Olympics prior to 1938. So yeah, I think comparisons across eras and across sports is always a bit pointless - you can only ever be the best in your sport in your era.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Rebekah Stott has re-signed for the Albion.

She was the player who had go back to NZ when she was diagnosed with cancer. Looks like she's beaten and is now back at the club

Good news all round

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
Rebekah Stott has re-signed for the Albion.

She was the player who had go back to NZ when she was diagnosed with cancer. Looks like she's beaten and is now back at the club

Good news all round

In a world of shit, this is a reason to smile. Lovely news.

The_Viper

Oct 10, 2010
Charlotte, NC
Is the turnover of players different to last summer ? Is it more or less than other WSL teams ? (I don’t know). You seem to know though given you’ve described it as “mental”. , and a “backward step”. And “comically bad handling” of the club/squad . (Is it ? Because several young prospects have left for better paid contracts ? )

I admit I also didn't have a clue. But I've spoke with a few people that are avid Albion WSL fans and yes, this isn't normal, they've never seen anything like this in Albions short time as a professional side.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here