Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Brighton's Borders

Gregory2Smith1

J'les aurai!
Sep 21, 2011
Auch
where in sussex do people start not supporting brighton?

i was born in brighton,raised in newhaven and lived in seaford and eastbourne,i consider these towns to be staunch seagulls towns

going farther east towards bexhill,i know of seagulls fans,but arrive at hastings and they are thin on the ground

what about west,lancing and worthing,definant seagulls towns,littlehampton?
bognor is in striking distance of pompey

going north,lewes and haywards heath,solid seagulls country

now crawley have there own football league team i guess that's fair enough,but i got the feeling before that they all went up to london anyway

any albion fans from littlehampton,bognor,chichester,hastings or crawley on here?

Sompting_Seagull

Jun 8, 2011
North Stand
Adur and Arun areas do have a large albion following, it does seem like the river Arun is a bit of a cut off point for Brighton fans though. Probably to do with the A27 which going west you can get yourself to fratton in a fraction of the time it would take you to drive east to Brighton. When we played pompey recently i read on here chichester was 50 / 50 for Brighton and pompey shirts on the day. I hate seeing the 'pompey news' sold in newsagents all over west sussex towns like Chichester and Bognor, but they dont get the argus round them parts either. 1.5 million people in Sussex, just a thought....

Last edited:

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Going west LA is border country but LA is definitely BHA as is Worthing. In fact, I'd argue that of the towns around Brighton, Worthing is the most solid BHA.

brakespear

Doctor Worm
Feb 24, 2009
Sleeping on the roof
I don't know about now but I was born in and lived in Crawley for 11 years and I support Brighton. Even then though I can't remember there too many others around though.

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
You might be right about the Arun being the western boundary. Pulborough always had a smattering of Albion fans, but go any further weat to places like Petworth and Midhurst and it really is Pompey territory.

Agree with the comment about Worthing, that is definitely an Albion stronghold, home to some of the most loyal amongst us.

JamesAndTheGiantHead

Sep 2, 2011
Worthing
I'd say about 10% of Worthing are Brighton fans. And by that I mean people that I see wearing football shirts anyway. The other 90% are United, Chelsea, Arsenal, Liverpool or Spurs.

I am seeing an increase in the amount of kids playing football in the park near me wearing Brighton shirts, which is an encouraging sign.

Nick Rowles

Naughty Nick
Jan 20, 2010
Uxbridge
Growing up in Bognor in the 70s we always felt in the minority compared to Pompey fans. Many a happy Saturday evening being chased up and down the train from Barnham by morons!! Still on the margins of our geographical support but plenty still travel weekly - Sussex and proud.

D

Deleted member 2719

I worked in Chichester for 2.5 years and I only ever saw a handful of Brighton shirts. Whereas one would see at least one Portsmouth shirt a day.

That was me in different disguises each time BOF.

The Pompey Shirts have disappeared lately, can't think why???

I can't wait to see how we take back the sussex territory if we can keep above the Pompey Scum.

durrington gull

Aug 29, 2004
Worthing
Adur and Arun areas do have a large albion following, it does seem like the river Arun is a bit of a cut off point for Brighton fans though. Probably to do with the A27 which going west you can get yourself to fratton in a fraction of the time it would take you to drive east to Brighton. When we played pompey recently i read on here chichester was 50 / 50 for Brighton and pompey shirts on the day. I hate seeing the 'pompey news' sold in newsagents all over west sussex towns like Chichester and Bognor, but they dont get the argus round them parts either. 1.5 million people in Sussex, just a thought....

Our support trickles out past littlehampton - you see lots of pompey shirts around Bognor & Chichester. Worthing is solid BHA

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
I'd say about 10% of Worthing are Brighton fans. And by that I mean people that I see wearing football shirts anyway. The other 90% are United, Chelsea, Arsenal, Liverpool or Spurs.

Fair point, but most of those wearing the Premierships are plastics who would be hard pressed to point out where their ground is on a map...few of them actually having been there!

I reckon that if you just count people who actually go to games then Worthing would look far healthier from an Albion point of view.

JamesAndTheGiantHead

Sep 2, 2011
Worthing
Fair point, but most of those wearing the Premierships are plastics who would be hard pressed to point out where their ground is on a map...few of them actually having been there!

I reckon that if you just count people who actually go to games then Worthing would look far healthier from an Albion point of view.

Oh yeah, undoubtedly. I would assume most people around this area with a Brighton shirt on actually go to games, whereas I'd also assume that 90% of people with Premier League shirts on attend 1 or 2 games a year, if that.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Worthing is total blue and White bar a few London club supporters. But Bognor, Chichester, Midhurst and beyond is definitely Pompey territory.

les dynam

Oct 10, 2008
Hove
Worthing is total blue and White bar a few London club supporters. But Bognor, Chichester, Midhurst and beyond is definitely Pompey territory.

This. Heading east, Shoreham and Southwick are real Albion stronghold, loads of fans over there.

u'vebeenamexed

Whateverhappenedto.......
Sep 23, 2011
Hove-By-The-Sea
How about Albion support in Eastbourne ?

Have seen Palace claiming they have strong support in Eastbourne- can't believe this is true can anyone enlighten ?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here