Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

"Brighton's Best Pubs" (sic) OI ATILLA!

D

Deleted User X18H

Brovian said:
The Open House? THE OPEN HOUSE? Who are these morons? The Open House isn't a pub, it's a sort of wants-to-be-trendy wine bar cum continental cafe. I'm suprised they didn't mention the now-ruined Preston Park Tavern or the Park View.

What a load of old cock.
Where we live Brovian the best Pub imho is The Station a Preston Park except certain Saturdays .bloody football hooligans

Last edited:

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
I like real pubs for real people. Can't beat the Cleveland and the Bugle IMO.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
pevenseagull said:
According to the self appointed experts, where the definition of an expert is :X- the unkown factor, spurt - a drip under pressure, these are the ten best pubs in Hove and Brighton

1 Basketmakers
2 Open House
3 Hop Poles (For f***'s Sake)
4 Pub With No Name
5 The Dragon
6 The Sidewinder
7 The Regency
8 Prestonville Arms
9 Walmer
10 The Wellington (82%)

The Conqueror gets 61%, The Lord Nelson gets 57%, The Farm gets 48%, The Montpelier gets 41%

Walkabout gets 69% ...... falling slightly shy of The Evening Star (71%)
What a truly f***ing awful list. Who are the compilers? Especially after spelling the foreword writer's name wrong...

I would drink in no more than three on that list.

Last edited:

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
Brovian said:
I like real pubs for real people. Can't beat the Cleveland and the Bugle IMO.
Like the Toby in Woodingdean or the Hikers Rest? I like poncy pubs. As long as the beer's good.

Last edited:

Jul 20, 2003
Re: Re: "Brighton's Best Pubs" (sic) OI ATILLA!

The Large One said:
What a truly f***ing awful list. Who are the compilers? Especially after spelling the foreword writer's name wrong...

spelingg isnt my strong point

the Wetherspoons in George Street is rated higher than The Robin Hood and a gant's chuff shy of The Conq

MORONIC

Jul 20, 2003
The Sanctuary Cafe is regarded as a better than average 'pub'

JESUS f***ing CHRIST WITH KNOBS ON

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Lammy said:
What's the name of that pub opposite the Pavillion, up the hill a bit and on the right called? They tend to have a load of belgium beers in there.

Do you mean the Waggon and Horses?

Or just before that is the grotty pub called um... something like the White Horse.

What about the Battle of Trafalgar or The Bugle or the Dover Castle or the Greys or the Park Crescent. Christ there's hundreds. There's the Hartington, the London Unity or the Eddy.

Jul 20, 2003
Tom Hark said:
Wot no Rosehill Tavern?

67% overall

atmosphere 58%
beer 60%
barstaff 50%
Food 33%
Entertainment 58%
Decor/ Garden 58%

how that makes 67% overall f*** only knows

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
pevenseagull said:
67% overall

atmosphere 58%
beer 60%
barstaff 50%
Food 33%
Entertainment 58%
Decor/ Garden 58%

how that makes 67% overall f*** only knows

You're right - even with a weighted average it comes out wrong. What a load of cock.

Thought of some more pubs - The Saint James, The Resevoir, There's two or three along in Kemptown George Street that I can't remember the name of that are lovely. The Shakespeares Head do great lunches. There's the Great Eastern too, the George is a decent pub and of course the Nelson.

That original list is pure cock.

attila

1997 Club
Jul 17, 2003
South Central Southwick
Totally agree with you. The book is bollocks. Well meaning bollocks, but utter testes nonetheless. I was invited to do a foreward via a letter left behind the bar in the Star, I liked that, so I did. I hadn't read the book beforehand, so I thought the best thing i could do was make sure that the front of the book said that the Star was the best pub in the WORLD, and that's what I did. Not responsible for the rest!
If a pub hasn't got good beer, it's not a good pub. Even if other things about it are good. Period.

Rougvie

Rising Damp
Aug 29, 2003
Hove, f***ing ACTUALLY.
hove born&bred said:
Where we live Brovian the best Pub imho is The Station a Preston Park except certain Saturdays .bloody football hooligans

It was my local for 5 years and in that time had about 5 different landlords, it was good when the twins ran it, now it just a very average pub.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
attila said:
Totally agree with you. The book is bollocks. Well meaning bollocks, but utter testes nonetheless. I was invited to do a foreward via a letter left behind the bar in the Star, I liked that, so I did. I hadn't read the book beforehand, so I thought the best thing i could do was make sure that the front of the book said that the Star was the best pub in the WORLD, and that's what I did. Not responsible for the rest!
If a pub hasn't got good beer, it's not a good pub. Even if other things about it are good. Period.

:clap: :clap: :clap:

Jul 20, 2003
attila said:

:drink:

I shall get back to drinking my Harveys in a pub definitively far worse than 'The Walkabout'

:wave:

Last edited:

Jul 20, 2003
Re: Re: "Brighton's Best Pubs" (sic) OI ATILLA!

The Large One said:

The Regency is nice, especially around Christmas

:safeway

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Man of Harveys said:
It only has that awful dogpiss called HARVEYS BEST, aka the best beer in Britain.

I thought that the winner of the best beer for the past few years has been Timothy Taylors Landlord.

I have just come back from a few days in Mevagissey, via Yeovil. of course, and was drinking St Austells Tribute quite a good pint.

Friend of mine runs The Montreal any views on that pub.

Sorry got wrong pub and had to change it.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here