Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Brighton won't go back for Wilson

REDLAND

Jul 7, 2003
At the foot of the downs
its a cut and paste, sorry :( but its interesting

Brighton & Hove Albion will not revive their efforts to lure Bristol City boss Danny Wilson to The Withdean Stadium.

The Seagulls are seeking a new man at the helm after Steve Coppell quit to take over at First Division promotion hopefuls Reading.

Wilson was Brighton's first choice to succeed Peter Taylor on the South Coast in the summer of 2002 but The Robins denied Seagulls chairman Dick Knight the chance to speak to their manager.

Knight is currently drawing up a shortlist of names to replace Coppell but admits he will not be making a renewed bid to appoint Wilson.

"I wouldn't go to a club whose manager is under contract," Knight said. "Some clubs have managers not under contract."

Among the names in the frame for the role are former Stoke City manager Steve Cotterill and current Oldham Athletic chief Iain Dowie, whose future at Boundary Park remains uncertain.

But Knight also admitted there has been interest in the vacancy from abroad with a high-profile coach keen to take over the Second Division table-toppers.

He added: "I was contacted by a foreign manager who has managed in the Champions League in the recent past.

"That simply demonstrates the high profile of this club."

Bob Booker is currently in temporary charge of The Seagulls and Knight confirmed he is in the running to assume control on a permanent basis.

"Bob will be in the frame. I have given him a chance to prove himself."

Beeneys gloves

Jul 7, 2003
redland said:
its a cut and paste, sorry :( but its interesting

"I wouldn't go to a club whose manager is under contract," Knight said. "Some clubs have managers not under contract."

Hint towards Dowie hopefully

So ruled out so far is:

Wilson
Little
Adams
Merson

I'm just worried if Booker gets the job, we won't have good contacts for people on loan, etc. However, someone said on here that Zesh wasn't brought here by Coppell, so does anyone know who did bring him here?

Dowie looks more probable every day

Aug 12, 2003
Perth WA
Dowies recent comment makes it sound like he is more happy at Oldham now they have allegedly found investors :

One of the two wealthy businessmen masterminding the takeover was flying in fom America today for a series of meetings.

Boss Iain Dowie said: "I have met the investors and they seem very nice people. I like them."

tinx

Jul 6, 2003
Horsham Town
definitely sound slike Knight has approached dowie formt he comments he's made, whether or not dowie would come to us remains to be seen

y2dave

Jul 23, 2003
Bracknell
I don't buy the lack of contacts thing with Booker. He's worked with Adams, Taylor and Coppell (3 good contacts?) and must have got to know a few of there sources while working with them. From what I know Booker is well liked in the game and has been hugely popular at every club he's played or coached at. I hope he can take his chance.

Stumpy Tim

BrightonBird said:
So ruled out so far is:

Wilson
Little
Adams
Merson

I'm just worried if Booker gets the job, we won't have good contacts for people on loan, etc. However, someone said on here that Zesh wasn't brought here by Coppell, so does anyone know who did bring him here?

Dowie looks more probable every day

Adams & Merson ruled out?

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
Certainly sounds like Dowie is on the short list. Could well be with Kinnear, Cotterill and even Trevor Francis.

can't be many [if any] managers other than Dowie who are working without a contract. That comment was clearly aimed at him.

Harold

Jul 7, 2003
Hastings
y2dave said:
I don't buy the lack of contacts thing with Booker. He's worked with Adams, Taylor and Coppell (3 good contacts?) and must have got to know a few of there sources while working with them. From what I know Booker is well liked in the game and has been hugely popular at every club he's played or coached at. I hope he can take his chance.

Ok so maybe he has contacts. No real proof though and contacts for loans are essential. The fact he has worked for a few managers means little surely. Would he not have kept things together why the managers were out and about anyway. Surely Bookers main worth is his relationship with the players, as a coach, as an assistant, as an every day face, as a buffer between them and the manager. I think he's too close to manage them and we would lose that buffer. I like the fact they didn't see much of Coppell but when he did address them they listened intently. Made for good effective coaching it seems to me.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here