Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Brighton Women vs Leicester in the WSL this Sunday @ Amex

Paulie Gualtieri

Bada Bing
NSC Patron
May 8, 2018
Interested to hear from anyone who attended yesterday as to what the atmosphere was like, were there chants etc?

Good to see the attendance increasing

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
As the game progressed, you could see it wasn't going to be top-notch entertainment. Leicester's obvious aim was not to be beaten. I was concerned that any newcomers would come up with your conclusion.
Please don't let today put you off. If you'd have seen the previous game at the Amex against West Ham, you would have seen a very entertaining game played by two teams who wanted to win. We did, which was nice. As we all know, supporting your team involves putting up with the rough, as well as the smooth.
Unfortunately, today was rough!

Sounds like professional football …oh hang on

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
Never get why people post negative stuff about the team on here, do they not think some players might look at NSC. Why not be either supportive or post nothing at all, we’re all in the Albion family after all.

Live by the sea

Oct 21, 2016
I went - good atmosphere, all went nuts when we scored . Leicester actually had a good chance immediately after the goal but was saved .

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Very pleased they won. My first live viewing of womens team and sorry to say thought the game was terrible and wont rush back. How many times were we caught offside ? Maybe wrong but looks like apart from very few most sides game is built on defence.

Why say it then ?

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
Why say it then ?

Why not. As I said very pleased they won and fantastic 3k plus attended. I was just very surprised considering this is WPL how very poor basic things were like First Touch ,Passing, and offside awareness.and dont think anything wrong in saying. Seems from comments this was a one off and I will try and attend next game at Amex

Dave the hatosaurus

Aug 22, 2021
worthing
Further reflections on yesterday , the team were obviously well aware of the importance of the result both on their position in the table and the influence it might have on the crowd and future attendances . To a woman they worked very hard throughout the match to achieve the result they wanted and the sheer joy and euphoria both on the pitch and off it when that perfectly struck free kick nestled in the top corner was well worth the entrance fee ( £2.50 - old gits ticket ! ) and the frustration of the style of football they were playing against .
Hard to pick out an individual but if you were looking for a player that epitomises the team spirit and effort on the pitch then look no further than Fliss Gibbons .

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
Why not. As I said very pleased they won and fantastic 3k plus attended. I was just very surprised considering this is WPL how very poor basic things were like First Touch ,Passing, and offside awareness.and dont think anything wrong in saying. Seems from comments this was a one off and I will try and attend next game at Amex

I sort of agree with you.

If you went to a men's game and it was s***, you'd probably come back home and say it. I've done that hundreds of times, including every time I went to Gillingham.

I don't see why it should be different for a women's fixture

sagaman

Dec 25, 2005
Brighton
My first time at a WSL and I thought the atmosphere was very good with loads of youngsters present, many would be unable to get to men's game.

Thought there was much to work to do including individual and team play but delighted with the end. Sent the crowd home happy!

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Never get why people post negative stuff about the team on here, do they not think some players might look at NSC. Why not be either supportive or post nothing at all, we’re all in the Albion family after all.

Not sure there's been many negative things said about the team, the game yes.

There are aspects of the women's game that a far behind the men, most though enjoy it for what it is and enjoy the fact we are nearing the top of the game in this country.

Having watched the progression, albeit on streams/tv, the advancement the team has made in a small number of years, is superb.

Playing at the Amex is great for them but the cost of holding the event makes this prohibitive to make it the norm. It would be nice if they could develop the pitch at the training ground to accommodate the required seating capacity, thus making it a proper home for the youth and women's teams. Again this is unlikely due to the location and parking etc. Personally I think Withdean could work but don't know of its usage currently.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
This team look like they are headed places. Still in transitional mode and sadly, like the men's game, they're competing with some heavy spenders.

I've only seen the highlights. Looked like it should have been a higher scoring game than it was. Perhaps I'm biased, but based on what I saw BHA looked pretty well organised and in control. Another day and it's 4-2.

At least the front line were there to get caught offside.

nickbrighton

Feb 19, 2016
i dont normally buy into to the BBC ignoring Brighton thing, however I maybe starting to change my mind.

On WSL Day, where a big fuss was being made by the BBC, coverage of Brighton was pretty sparse. In the piece about attendance we were the last club mentioned, and almost as an afterthought, even though we had the biggest attendance of the weekend!

The other matches all got individual headline boxes and updates on the front page , but brighton appeared to just be in the combined page

For a team in third place, with the biggest attendance, it did seem like some of the mens matches this year , with an "oh, and Brighton played as well" feel

Today, Brighton are as prominent on the highlights page as the others, so perhaps I am wrong and reading more into things than are there

Last edited:

Me and my Monkey

Nov 3, 2015
Personally I think Withdean could work but don't know of its usage currently.

I agree, I think Withdean would be perfect. If the club could invest some money into the stadium and the pitch to bring it up to standard, the community would benefit too, and it's a great location for WSL games. I'm sure it must have been considered, so there must be a reason why not.

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
Two of my grand daughters 6 and 10 from having no interest in football mens or womens now play in teams and train 3 times a week one with AITC, interestingly both were taken to watch the Women play this season as basically a day out with their parents, they enjoyed it so much they both wanted a Brighton kit and started to kick a ball around in the garden rather than sit indoors on the X box, if the higher profile of Women's football is able to do this then what's not to like, OK not every nipper is going to want to do it but from no interest to now playing in a team in a short few months is just fantastic.

Probably going to cost me a Bob or two in Albion merchandise from now on but I'd rather fork out for that than another Kill everything that moves video game.

stewart12

Jan 16, 2019
I agree, I think Withdean would be perfect. If the club could invest some money into the stadium and the pitch to bring it up to standard, the community would benefit too, and it's a great location for WSL games. I'm sure it must have been considered, so there must be a reason why not.

don't know if Withdean is the answer but Crawley certainly isn't where the womens team should be playing. Crawley isn't a town where the Albion historically attract a large amount of support and let's face it, it's a pain to get to from B+H

there's definitely the potential to get decent crowds in for the womens team and grow the fanbase but I can't see that happening in Crawley

stewart12

Jan 16, 2019
only thing with Withdean is, as we know too well, it's really expensive for what it is

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
With just over 3,500 attending yesterday, I think there is a strong case for making the Amex the womens home ground. The Lower stand holds about 5,000 so could just open that stand to minimise the cost. They could also open 1901 bit if ever the corporate lot gets interested. I honestly think the time is fast approaching to do this.

We don’t want the women playing with their bloody great feet on our pitch.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here