Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Brighton waste collection strike….

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
I pay for fortnightly garden waste collection. Last time it was collected was July, it’s overflowing. (BH council). I don’t drive.

May I ask how much you pay for fortnightly garden waste collection that doesn't get collected? How much does it cost if it does get collected?

Thinking it through, perhaps a solution to the bin strike, would be for all customers to move onto a fortnightly collection.

Then the council and Cityclean would have only half the number of complaints to deal with. :thumbsup:

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
I doubt very much a new contract with someone else in 12 years time will resolve the militant nature of Brighton’s dustmen.

No but hopefully it will be recycling rates up due to more regular collections of a wider range of materials.

Uter

Aug 5, 2008
The land of chocolate
I doubt very much a new contract with someone else in 12 years time will resolve the militant nature of Brighton’s dustmen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

No, but it might provide an opportunity to start collecting a wider range of recycling and boost disappointing recycling rates.

I am not going to bother commenting on industrial relations as it's one of those things that polarises people, usually according to their political persuasion. And I don't know enough about the nature of the dispute to post a worthwhile opinion.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
so you reckon being asked to do alternative routes is an unresonable request?

Do you possibly think there's other things in play here? One driver was quoted as saying they changed his route meaning in one day he was expected to quadruple his tonnage of waste.

These people as far as I'm aware continued throughout lookdown to pick up the rubbish. I'm sure with many of the public at home at this time the rubbish increased, as everyone was doing their ordering on line. Anyone receiving an Amazon package knows the amount of rubbish one small item creates.

I'm sure a lot got ill, sitting in the cabs together.

When the cries rang out, and rightly they should, for nurses etc to be applauded and rewarded, it then moved to essential workers. The binmen proved yet again they are essential yet when they too complain about their conditions people get stroppy.

It's simple, for some essential, means when I need you, not when I'm inconvenienced and how dare you!

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
May I ask how much you pay for fortnightly garden waste collection that doesn't get collected? How much does it cost if it does get collected?

Thinking it through, perhaps a solution to the bin strike, would be for all customers to move onto a fortnightly collection.

Then the council and Cityclean would have only half the number of complaints to deal with. :thumbsup:

My suggestion would be to put suburban address’s on a similar scheme to Burgess Hill, each household gets a large refuse bin similar in size to the black recycling bins, all recycling go’s in one bin and waste in the other then each bin is picked up every other week.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
No, but it might provide an opportunity to start collecting a wider range of recycling and boost disappointing recycling rates.

I am not going to bother commenting on industrial relations as it's one of those things that polarises people, usually according to their political persuasion. And I don't know enough about the nature of the dispute to post a worthwhile opinion.

:thumbsup:

As far as I can see from reading this thread this far, nor does anyone else.

But since when was knowledge a pre-requisite to apportioning blame :facepalm:

thedonkeycentrehalf

Moved back to wear the gloves (again)
Jul 7, 2003
The Argus - but I can't access it at the moment as their site is sh1t and periodically seems to blocks me from reading articles unless I subscribe.

use private / incognito windows to get around that.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Do you have any idea what sort of payment this 'warchest' provides the strikers with on a weekly basis ?

It's just that I haven't seen it anywhere and the only Union payments to strikers that I have ever known (and this was a few years back) were from the Union's 'hardship fund' that had to be applied for and were an absolute pittance. Maybe it's different these days ???

Just a cursory look on a GMB website, there are 2 separate things:

- A hardship fund for those who losing 2 days pay is "make or break".
- Strike pay from an including the 4th day onwards.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Just a cursory look on a GMB website, there are 2 separate things:

- A hardship fund for those who losing 2 days pay is "make or break".
- Strike pay from an including the 4th day onwards.

But no indication whether the amounts are different these days ?

As I said, the only ones I knew of, were the hardship ones from years back which I believe were a couple of quid a day.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
Do you possibly think there's other things in play here? One driver was quoted as saying they changed his route meaning in one day he was expected to quadruple his tonnage of waste.

These people as far as I'm aware continued throughout lookdown to pick up the rubbish. I'm sure with many of the public at home at this time the rubbish increased, as everyone was doing their ordering on line. Anyone receiving an Amazon package knows the amount of rubbish one small item creates.

When the cries rang out, and rightly they should, for nurses etc to be applauded and rewarded, it then moved to essential workers. The binmen proved yet again they are essential yet when they too complain about their conditions people get stroppy.

It's simple, for some essential, means when I need you, not when I'm inconvenienced and how dare you!

Well, nobody was asking him to do more work than could be done in his paid hours.

Obviously there are going to be changes to routes etc during a driver crisis like the one we are going through. It's not an unreasonable request.

Totally agree with you that they are key workers and they helped get us through the pandemic, i'm not belittling the importance of what they do.

But the over-riding problem is that they are (ultimately) financed by local taxpayers and local government budgets. These are small and reducing. Binmen may well deserve a payrise, but it's simply not tenable to give them one in the current climate.

herecomesaregular

We're in the pipe, 5 by 5
Oct 27, 2008
Still in Brighton
I have often posed the question who is most important in today's society?

Picking up others discarded crap is high on the list. It highlights just how much is generated and perhaps it should make everyone focus their efforts in reducing their rubbish.

These HGV drivers currently hold the upper hand, they are needed in many roles. To retain them perhaps the management need to respect them a little more or they could end up going to another employer. Probably delivering stuff in loads of unnecessary packaging.

A lot of those complaining are likely to be keyboard tappers who have never or would never lower themselves to do such a job. Meanwhile would society miss them for a few weeks (some 9 months or more on furlough).

Bollucks. I'm on the voluntary Tidy Up Team for Brighton and I tidy my area and all around these bins and regularly sort out the recycling chucked all about and not in the bins and I'm complaining so you're talking out of your backside and making many assumptions...... and breathe.....

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

This.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
But no indication whether the amounts are different these days ?

As I said, the only ones I knew of, were the hardship ones from years back which I believe were a couple of quid a day.

Seems to be private between the union and members. The GMB do explain that two stage methodology I mentioned, but no data on the amounts paid per day per striker (no, not Darwin Nunez).

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....

That.

I am not a moaner, as I will go to the tip at the weekend, probably sit in queue for two hours mummering about spending my day off, wasting my time.

But if they have grievance and it is valid, fair enough, they work hard and do an essential job.

However I don't have a black bin, never have and they don't always collect my rubbish anyway even though it is left in the street. I just go to the tip,
consistency would be nice, sometimes I get the feeling they can't be arsed, but then sometimes they put a new plastic bag in my bin for me.
But that is just people, good day, bad day their normal folks like me or you.

I am just a bit dismayed a green run council can't sort out waste collection, I thought it would be quite high on the list of their priorities, but maybe not eh.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

not really as changing the routes is all the GMB mention. does that seem a reasonable grounds for strike?

unless maybe the route changes mean they are missing overtime opportunties.

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
It can’t be a coincidence that the last bin men strike in 2013 was at a time when the Green Party were the main party in control of the council?

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Yes it does. I'm not saying all parties come up against the same problem am I? This time it's the bin men striking over bullying, but who gave the company the THIRTY YEAR contract FFS?

You're confusing the waste management contractor and City Clean - City Clean are a council department - there is no contract. City Clean - i.e. the council - collect the waste and then a third party contractor deals with what is collected ( sent for recycling, burned in Newhaven etc ).

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
That.

I am not a moaner, as I will go to the tip at the weekend, probably sit in queue for two hours mummering about spending my day off, wasting my time.

But if they have grievance and it is valid, fair enough, they work hard and do an essential job.

However I don't have a black bin, never have and they don't always collect my rubbish anyway even though it is left in the street. I just go to the tip,
consistency would be nice, sometimes I get the feeling they can't be arsed, but then sometimes they put a new plastic bag in my bin for me.
But that is just people, good day, bad day their normal folks like me or you.

I am just a bit dismayed a green run council can't sort out waste collection, I thought it would be quite high on the list of their priorities, but maybe not eh.

Labour, Green, Tory, coalitions .... they've all failed, it's literally been 20 years (or more) on and off of:

- Industrial disputes, waste piles.
- Shockingly low recycling rates compared to other UK conurbations. Genuinely strange, when we're a touchy-feely, rainbow sweater wearing city that purpoetedly ticks a load of virtuous credentials.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here