Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Brighton vs Hartlepool-thread

balloonboy

aka Jim in the West
Jan 6, 2004
Way out West
McGhee - in the Taylor mould, but we like him! I couldn't help noticing how incredibly disciplined the whole team were today - everyone stuck to their positions:

Defence;
Holding midfield (Oatway/Carpenter)
Left wing (Jonah)
Right midfield (Harty)
Up front

Hartlepool got so hacked off that they very soon resorted to punting the ball long (even though it looked as if they could be comfortable on the ball). Today has to go down as a real MM victory - tactically it was superb, even though at times it was not pretty to watch.

Also, fantastic to see the defence working well - three youngsters (19, 20 and 21 yrs old) plus the Ol' Man Butters who we all love. Great credit to McGhee on this score. El Abd is a CLASS player. (Can't wait until Hinsh gets in, and we play THREE Adams at the back!!)

southstandandy

WEST STAND ANDY
Jul 9, 2003
What a weird season - 15 wins at home, but probably only 2 or 3 of these I can say were entertaining. Still I'm not complaining as I'd always take a dull win than an enthralling draw.

Thought the defence looked very solid today - El Abd looks very comfortable in possession, and Virgo is unrecognisable from last season. This must bode well for the future with so many of the younger players coming through and not looking out of place.

In season's gone by many seemed out of their depth - but not now. Well done to Martin Hinshelwood and Dean Wilkins on getting some decent youngsters through the ranks. Credit where it's due.

JJ McClure

Go Jags
Jul 7, 2003
Hassocks
Certainly not a great match but a great result and that's what counts.
The ref didn't help thinks with lots of silly decisons (what did he have against Iwelumo?).
I thought Jonah had his best game in a while and that switching flanks with Harty worked well.
The penalty looked a bit dubious from J block but Roberts pulled off a great save and another later on to deny them what would have been an equaliser.
Leon and Big Chris did there jobs well and the defence was superb.
Overall a good team performance in a bad game.

Exiled in Exeter

Jul 16, 2003
W3D
Didn’t think it was the best of games, with both defences playing well and so both teams seemed to cancel each other out. But at least the Albion put in a reasonable performance.

Attacking wise I didn’t think we looked that good. Although I did like the fact in the first half we did seem to create some good chances out of nothing. I thought Hart tried hard but just seemed a yard off the pace. Knight didn’t’ have his best game but he scored one and created one so that is all you can really ask overall. Dint think Iwelumo played that well, and although he won most of headers, there didn’t seem to be a great deal of direction on them. Overall I didn’t think that the front partnership linked up as well as it maybe should have.

But I thought the real positive points were the defence. I think Cullip is inspirational, but the defence performed admirably in his absence. All the more impressive as they are young home grown players. I thought Virgo was outstanding today and was my man of the match. But the other three and the keeper also did really well. I never think of Roberts as a Schmeichel type keeper, but it was good to see him organising the defence. Butters also did well in this regard encouraging and organising the younger players around him.

Also I thought the midfield did fairly well. I thought Oatway and especially Carpenter put a lot in to the game.

Despite what Jones said on the radio, I thought the referee was poor. As were the linesman. I thought their player was offside and didn’t think it was a penalty. Glad Roberts didn’t get sent off. Don’t know what the ref had against big Chris, but he was getting constantly pushed in the back every time he went up for the header and the ref did nothing, indeed quite a few decisions seemed to unfairly go against Iwelumo.

Overall I would have preferred us to have played with a little more impetus and tempo. But at this stage of the season, the points are all important and with the pressure really on now, and with other results going our way this was a hard earned win against a well organised away side.

Last edited:

Schrödinger's Toad

Nie dla Idiotów
Jan 21, 2004
Joe Ross is always atrocious - he's just a very poor referee, who also happened to hate Iwelumo with a loathing. He's right up there with Prosser, always been awful, not just against us, he gave plently of dodgy decisions against Hartlepool

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Rare day off Saturday, so a first home game for a couple of months. If not a great game, pretty impressed with the defending, looked composed for most of the game bar the one shocking lapse in concentration that led to the penalty.

And that was clearly an atrocious bit of refereeing all round. The bloke clearly dived (Error 1) or at the very least could have stayed on his feet and rolled it in, and if he gives it he has to send Roberts off (Error 2). The ref has claimed today that it wasn't a goalscoring opportunity. Whatever you say, Mr Ross.

Knight and Iwelumo look a handful together, just need to learn a bit more how to play as a partnership - they often go for the same ball - and that's a dangerous pairing to take into the play-offs.

Thought we were looking a bit tired at the end and maybe some subs would have been a good idea, but other results couldn't have gone better, and a very satisfactory afternoon.

BUTTERBALL

East Stand Brighton Boyz
Jul 31, 2003
location location
Hartlepool were no mugs. They worked very hard and concentrated on not giving us any time on the ball.

I thought our work rate and commitment were first class yesterday and was particularly impressed with Butters, Oatway, Knight and ElAbd.

What I find most laughable is Neale Cooper thinking that they lost the game cos Roberts didn't get sent off!

Didn't get sent off?? ?? ?? It should never have even been a penalty - their guy should have been booked for diving :angry:

That was one of the most blatant dives I've seen in a long time. Are Ross/Cooper living in the real world?? :nono:

Last edited:

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Fran Hagarty said:
Unnnecessary booking, I thought. He and Iwelumo jumped over the hoardings and Iwelumo picked Knight up in celebration. They were at the far end so could not be deemed to be inciting the away supporters, so I don't see why he was booked.

Inciting the Withdean residents? Not that they need a lot of inciting. Playing music to accopany the Real madrid Under-11's half-time display would probably have done the trick there aye? At least Leon never got sent off for it, unlike the bloke that scored for Gillingham at Withdean last season for inciting his OWN supporters after he'd scored.

Marvellous comedy moment BTW when Charlie O. flew sideways at the halfway line for no apparent recent to block a shot with his chest/shoulder like he was stopping a bullet for the President. Fair made us chuckle in H Block, that one :lolol:

Last edited:

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
portslade seagull said:
why does he stick with jones..apart from the one cross he made
for a supposed winger he is crap

I just think it's seriously WEIRD that for any given game, half the posters think Jonah's had a marvellous game while the other half think he's had a shit game.

Genuinely torn both ways meself. Yes, he runs straight into opponents 9 times out of 10. Yes, he's got less bottle than Coca-Cola's tap water. Yes, he's guilty of multiple shit haircuts. But whip in ONE cross that results in a goal and suddenly he's played a blinder. Tho in the end, he does run around a lot with a much greater sense of purpose and an occasionally better end result than David Lee (who just seems to think that running around a lot is all that's required).

So, on the whole, after careful consideration, I reckon stick with the bhoyo until such time there's somebody more consistently reliable, less 'infuriating' in the frame. In the long run tho, enigmas are a luxury we can well do without.

Last edited:

Kenhead

Oct 1, 2003
Brighton
Did anyone see the ref near the end of the game where he gave a fowl on oatway after a short cornor kick to help the time to ware down for full time, after he gave the fowl and was running back to the center of the pitch the ref started touching he's arse, urley trying to wind the crowd up???

fataddick

Feb 6, 2004
The seaside.
I thought it was a fair booking. Knight was clearly winding up the forest fans. *remembers game wasn't against NFFC* Oh, well, maybe there was a Hartepool fan up a tree or something. Stoopid stoopid booking.

Jason Speaks

Feb 4, 2004
Portslade
For the first time in 4 years I was sitting in U block and the view I had of Adam Boyd's dive was excellent.

Never a Pen and as has been said if it was should have been a red aswell .

Even some of the Hartlepool fans were looking decidingly embarrassed by this blatent bit of cheating.

Extremely please with Roberts performance and was dissillusioned to hear two fans discussing teh penalty and one of them saying how he was dissappointed that Roberts wasn't sent off so that The FDM could be brought back.

Why are the hardcore Kuipers fans so blinded to Roberts obvious ability?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here