Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Brighton V Southend. New Years Day 2001?

Kuipers Supporters Club

Feb 10, 2009
GOSBTS
Anybody have any footage of this game?
I thought about it today. Worst Pitch EVER. Big puddles, Massive Patches of pitch without grass, and mud covered by sand.
Unless anybody knows of worse?

Lindfield by the Pond

Jan 10, 2009
Lindfield (near the pond)
I agree. Down by the south east corner, I remember the ball just stopping dead in a puddles. Players with water splasing up around their boots. Quite ridiculous.

Braders

Abi Fletchers Gimpboy
Jul 15, 2003
Brighton, United Kingdom
one of the only Withdean games I've missed :(

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Closely run by Bristol Rovers at home, Boxing Day or New Year's Day one year in (I think) the early 1990s.

We conceded a goal after about three minutes and then spent the remaining 87 splashing about in massive puddles, never looking likely to score and wishing the referee would abandon it. Mind you, the Southend pitch had the added bonus of massive amounts of mud and sand too, not just puddles, so that would probably be the winner. Several games that season were utter carnage because of the pitch.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
Wasn't this the game where a hole appeared in the middle of the pitch? Southend 1-0 with a puddle assisted winner if I remember correctly. Following this match we didn't have another home game for about a month as the surface was replaced. That was a very wet season.

Kendo3

Jul 26, 2004
Uckfield
I Remember this game, at half time the groundsman came on to re-do the Southstand side touchline, unfortunately the mud was so thick the pushalong paint machine got stuck in the mud!!!

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Closely run by Bristol Rovers at home, Boxing Day or New Year's Day one year in (I think) the early 1990s.

We conceded a goal after about three minutes and then spent the remaining 87 splashing about in massive puddles, never looking likely to score and wishing the referee would abandon it. Mind you, the Southend pitch had the added bonus of massive amounts of mud and sand too, not just puddles, so that would probably be the winner. Several games that season were utter carnage because of the pitch.

That was at the Goldstone c1991.

They had some kids singing carols down by the south stand. I remember the North Stand saying sod the carols let the poor kids get back in the dry (im sure other parts did too)

Rovers had Devon (no neck) White and Billy Ocean (Carl Saunders we used to sing Caribbean Queen to him) up front.

Durlston

"You plonker, Rodney!"
NSC Patron
Jul 15, 2009
Haywards Heath
It was just after a very cold spell of heavy snow I think so the quick thaw made the pitch even worse.

Southend were definitely our bogey side that season after the opening day defeat at Roots Hall as well.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here