Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Brighton v Reading news – Reading Chat

jimhigham

Je Suis Rhino
Apr 25, 2009
Woking
Daib0 - that's a seriously good thread. You've gone to a lot of effort there. Good looking forum.

daib0

Nov 20, 2011
Spain - England
Thanks for positive comments, :clap: and what would finally be great for us on Royals Rendezvous (as always, here in peace!) would be to have a few one-liner comments on –

What are the strongest areas of the squad, and how do they click together?

Who should we specially look out for / fear most of your squad Tuesday night?

How strong do you see the general level of the championship this season?

Realistically now, where do you hope to finish if all more-or-less goes well last few matches?

Cheers, :cheers:
daib0

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
ATTENDANCES.jpg

A bit dated now. In the seventies, the size of the Goldstone Ground limited the attendances. Then the same at Withdean with Priestfield inbetween.

The new stadium effect is shown for Reading very clearly.

daib0

Nov 20, 2011
Spain - England
ATTENDANCES.jpg

A bit dated now. In the seventies, the size of the Goldstone Ground limited the attendances. Then the same at Withdean with Priestfield inbetween.

The new stadium effect is shown for Reading very clearly.

Very interesting all round! I'd forgotten what amazing attendances you had when you were in (old) First Division, very impressive. I think that shows there is plenty of tapped potential there for far more when you can make up into the 'promised land' once again. I suppose that's what also corresponds to Portsmouth's shoot-up too, but obviously their curve is coming on down now. Reading's is about what I'd expect too - gee, it WAS depressing standing in the Elm Park Southbank in the 70s with 4000-5000 a game, the Royals fans shouldn't be plastic and forget that's where we've come from. Not too sure about Palace - it'd be interesting to tie those graphics up onto when Steve Coppell was there (4 times!!).

This season, official stats are supposedly Sporting Life - Football Statistics | Football Transfers, Premier League News, Fixtures, Results, Match Reports, Stats for the Championship (see second table for order, first one is for % capacity only although you do brilliantly there), but in our Christmas match some Seagulls fans objected a bit to those figures, I think they included any cup match too ...

Lethargic

Oct 11, 2006
Horsham
What are the strongest areas of the squad, and how do they click together?
Defensively very tight although a bit squeaky bum at times, huge improvement since start of season and the attacking midfielder, we have pace in abundance.

Who should we specially look out for / fear most of your squad Tuesday night?
Vicente, LuaLua or Buckley are the ones that grab the headlines but Barnes is always involved in an unglamorous style.

How strong do you see the general level of the championship this season?
Difficult to compare as we have not been involved but I love this league it is so tight.

Realistically now, where do you hope to finish if all more-or-less goes well last few matches
The season has been a bonus I was hoping for 10th so to still be in with a chance of playoffs is brilliant but I think we will be the unlucky bridesmaid.

Its hard to predict the team Gus picks let alone the score on Tuesday, I think it will be a very close game we seem to do better against the top teams at home than the lower so do not expect an easy night we are now due a good performance.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
This is the team we played in the away match:
Brighton & Hove Albion
16 Ankergren
03 Greer
05 Dunk
06 El-Abd Booked
27 Taricco
10 Sparrow Booked
17 Harley
25 LuaLua (Noone - 62' )
26 Bridcutt Booked
30 Buckley (Paynter - 62' )
12 Mackail-Smith
Substitutes
01 Brezovan
31 Hall
08 Navarro
11 Noone
13 Paynter

BBC Sport - Reading 3-0 Brighton
Although we created ten shots away from home, only about four were chances.

As a result of this match, the team changed in defence:

Brezovan is now the keeper. About average Championship standard and all the top teams have better keepers.
Taricco was an emergency left back and now we have Joe Mattock as first choice and he is up to scratch.
Alan Navarro is an intelligent holding midfielder (his absence gave MacAnuff too much of a free reign), but he is not an athlete.
We had wingers playing but nobody to cross to. This gave your midfield too much of the ball.
Kazenga Lualua had not yet returned to the form before his injury.
I don't think Will Buckley was at full fitness either.
It was a bit of a patchwork team. Vicente is now fit and on his day he is the most dangerous player in the Championship.

I forecasted 70 pts and 7th place at the start of the season.

PS: our highest attendances were in the old Division 2. The Goldstone was too small for the top flight and it was the recession. Reading moved to their new stadium and we moved to Priestfield.

Last edited:

pauli cee

Jan 21, 2009
worthing

Feb 24, 2011
Upper Bevendean
Were not as loose as some may have you believe diab0.:lolol:

I like your forum, nice work. As for the rivals bit, I have never seen Reading as a rival for us. As far as I'm concerned Palace are our only serious rivals. Some think Stains and Pompey too. The game will be tough for both sides Tuesday night, but I have a feeling that you will win 2-1:eek: Which will all but blow our play off hopes. Love to see you go up as champions, as it will most likely leave stains as runners up (don't worry they are used to it) and leave Wet Spam in the play offs, with big Sam spitting his dummy out at every decision that goes against them. Apart from Tuesday, good luck for the rest of the season lads.

Vegas Seagull

Jul 10, 2009
Were unbeaten at home for over 3 months but the builders need to be in pronto & need all summer for the 5k extra seats to go in (4k sold in advance) so we CANT be doing with playoffs so here's the plan, we play 7 defensive players, go a goal down mid 1st half, on EXACTLY 60 mins we will bring on our 2 best players (wingers) whip the crowd into a frenzy equalise with 10 to go & press for a winner but come up short. Ends 1-1. Everyone happyish, we slip just outside playoffs & no dastardley extra fixtures to be arranged

Willy Dangle

Aug 31, 2011

Top Bloke................Hey Big Jim, you could beat sport relief the way this is going.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here