Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Brighton v Man Utd 1983 Cup Final on Talk Sport now.

whitelion

Dec 16, 2003
Southwick
Danny Kelly reviewing it now.

- - - Updated - - -

Talksport - predictive text!!!

Sorted :thumbsup:

Last edited by a moderator:

nomoremithras4me

Apr 7, 2011
Did Smith score this time around?

D

Deleted User X18H

What a wonderful way to spend two hours. Great save my arse.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
Anyone here know how to do some clever video hocus-pocus (a.k.a post-production) to make that ball fly into the top of the next and then cut to Smith celebrating his goal?

Who was the chap responsible for the cinematic Albion films? I wonder if he could do it.

Stevie Boy

Nov 2, 2004
Horam
what happened to the fa cup final money?

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
A mate of mine refuses to blame Gordon Smith and maintains that Robbo bottled it. If you watch the film, you can make out a case for Robbo opening up his body ( a la Buckley v Donny ) and steering it into the far corner.
Conversely, you can make out a case for Robbo passing. Smith was in yards of space and perfectly placed.
Was it a bad miss or a good save? Well, Smith did everything right and kept it hard and low. Bailey was off his line quickly, so a bit of decent keeping there. A yard either side and we won the cup. Hey ho. Not dissimilar to Eusebio in 1968. Dying seconds of European Cup Final at Wembley ( 1-1 ) just Stepney to beat. Blasts it straight at him ( Wolstenholme goes mad about a great save ) but in truth Stepney couldn't get out the way of it. Similar to Bailey.
So the jury is still out. Bad miss by Smith or Robbo bottling it or good save by Bailey?.....Take your pick.

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
A mate of mine refuses to blame Gordon Smith and maintains that Robbo bottled it. If you watch the film, you can make out a case for Robbo opening up his body ( a la Buckley v Donny ) and steering it into the far corner.
Conversely, you can make out a case for Robbo passing. Smith was in yards of space and perfectly placed.
Was it a bad miss or a good save? Well, Smith did everything right and kept it hard and low. Bailey was off his line quickly, so a bit of decent keeping there. A yard either side and we won the cup. Hey ho. Not dissimilar to Eusebio in 1968. Dying seconds of European Cup Final at Wembley ( 1-1 ) just Stepney to beat. Blasts it straight at him ( Wolstenholme goes mad about a great save ) but in truth Stepney couldn't get out the way of it. Similar to Bailey.
So the jury is still out. Bad miss by Smith or Robbo bottling it or good save by Bailey?.....Take your pick.

According to Case, Smith was the one person in the team that day he would have wanted that chance to fall too so maybe Robbo also felt he was more likely to score. I for one would rather Case had that chance with the way he was scoring in the cup that season!

I really enjoyed that show. Being only 1 at the time obviously I don't rememeber it so I always enjoy finding out new things about that season that my dad hasn't relayed to me. I didn't realise until that show for example that the only reason Smith was playing was that we had sold Andy Ritchie a few months before.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here