Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Brighton v Gillingham

itszamora

Go Jazz Go
Sep 21, 2003
London
chez said:
Anyone know how Mayo played today? Are we likely to see him at Wolves??

Mayo did not put a foot wrong defensively, was very solid. Didn't offer a great deal going forward but did what he is in the team to do very well. Aside from the goal, I though Paul Reid was also very good today; unlike Mayo he got up to help the attack a lot, especially in the later stages when we were pushing for a winner. OGH also did well, in fact I would go as far to say that those 3 were our best players.

When we started actually making some noise you could see the difference it made on the pitch too. Last ten minutes there was a great atmosphere, and this translated on to the pitch::goal:

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
samparish said:
Mayo did not put a foot wrong defensively, was very solid. Didn't offer a great deal going forward but did what he is in the team to do very well. Aside from the goal, I though Paul Reid was also very good today; unlike Mayo he got up to help the attack a lot, especially in the later stages when we were pushing for a winner. OGH also did well, in fact I would go as far to say that those 3 were our best players.

When we started actually making some noise you could see the difference it made on the pitch too. Last ten minutes there was a great atmosphere, and this translated on to the pitch::goal:

id be happy with solid in defence- if the other team dont score thats a point

cdavis

May 14, 2004
YES, we won.......but for those who didn,t go....don,t get carried away. Poorest display this season,.......looked like two league one teams. Gilingham will definitely be relegated.....hopeless goalkeeper for them.My only hope is that the two late goals will give them some confidence.....they treated the ball like a hot potato....!!!! Can,t fault the effort.....but ability..?????.....ffs..!!!

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
cdavis said:
YES, we won.......but for those who didn,t go....don,t get carried away. Poorest display this season,.......looked like two league one teams. Gilingham will definitely be relegated.....hopeless goalkeeper for them.My only hope is that the two late goals will give them some confidence.....they treated the ball like a hot potato....!!!! Can,t fault the effort.....but ability..?????.....ffs..!!!

thought the there kjeeper did ok according to the radio

kinkygerbil said:
sounded like kuiperes should have moved off his line for the goal

He did move off his line :( He came for a cross, then realised he didn't have a chance of getting it. I think Reid was the defender letting the scorer a free header and Kuipers was caught in no mans land :nono:

itszamora

Go Jazz Go
Sep 21, 2003
London
Happy Seagull said:
He did move off his line :( He came for a cross, then realised he didn't have a chance of getting it. I think Reid was the defender letting the scorer a free header and Kuipers was caught in no mans land :nono:

To be fair to Reid, the attacker was about a foot taller than him, and the ball in was perfect for him to head.

Waterhall Wizard

Only one PETER WARD
Oct 14, 2004
East of Brighton
Happy Seagull said:
I would still expect some sort of challenge, rather than watch him head past Kuipers.

You are entitled to worry if having watched his opponent score he breaks into a round of applause.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
Leeds------------------30.
Wolves----------------30.
Watford---------------29.
Coventry--------------29.
Brighton---------------28.
Cardiff------------------23.
Notts. Forest----------21.
Gillingham-------------21.
Rotherham-------------15.

That looks better!

Mr Fridge

Oct 13, 2004
Just seen the goals on Sky Sports News

bad defending for their goal a cracker from Chippy and a well taken poachers goal from Virgo (when will he admit he is an attacter and not a defender?).

3 points well taken.

Gillingham were very poor indeed (which is encouraging - I can't see them catching us this season).

For most of the game we showed little belief in our ability to shoot and score - sometimes it was like having five aspiring Paul Brookers up front, all asking themselves "Who shall I pass it to?".

Mayo had a very good game. Not just "solid in defence" - he was causing some real problems to Gillingham when we were attacking as well, particularly in the first half. And some of his solid defending was happening 70 yards in front of his goal line - just the place I never want to see Dan Harding trying to defend.

Both Gary Hart and Nathan Jones were working hard in the second half. Maybe they (and Mayo) were trying to persuade Mark McGhee that the club's old boys have still got what it takes.

e77

May 23, 2004
Worthing
I think the win put us back in charge of our own destiny to an extent. Next stop 30 points !

Exiled in Exeter

Jul 16, 2003
W3D
Overall I didn’t think we were that good but we were better than a poor Gillingham team and we deserved to win.

I thought we started the match fairly well without ever really looking that threatening. Their goal came against the run of play and I didn’t think they deserved to be leading at half time.

Second half, we did not seem to really get into any rhythm until 15-20 minutes before the end of the match and before that we seemed to be running out of ideas and I thought Gillingham were at the best at the beginning of the second half. But thankfully they never really created anything.

Oatway had a great chance before Chippy equalised and once that goal went in, the team played much better and I felt we deserved our win today and we could have scored more.

In terms of the team, I didn’t think Chippy played that well but thankfully he came up with a vital goal. I thought Oatway and McCammon did alright but like the team in general did not play as well as against Stoke.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here