Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Brighton V Charlton..away end sold out

fataddick

Feb 6, 2004
The seaside.
Charlton fan wot has lived for 15+ years in Brighton here (been to as many Albion games as Charlton in the past 18 months, to be honest, but will always describe myself as Charlton). This will probably be our only sold out away allocation of the entire season, and yes there will be a fair few arseholes down. Around the same time last year apparently, a bunch of dicks went to Hastings and caused a near riot, smashing up pubs and fighting bouncers (cover story in Hastings paper at the time). There wasn't even a game on that weekend. The impression I get is the same bunch of dicks (or people of similar mindset) may be down this weekend. Saturday day will fine, but I think there will be idiots kicking off against bouncers, police ect late at night. Essentially it's a bunch of Londoners who can't hold their beer. Many may have come down for the game but please don't tarnish them as Charlton fans (many probably support other teams), just treat them the same way as all the other troublemaking DFLs we get down here every cocking weekend in the summer. The football is just an excuse, they'd be down somewhere (Brighton, Southend, Croydon, Shaftesbury Ave?) acting like pricks anyway. Please refer to them the next day as "London pricks" rather than "Charlton pricks". Please. Ta x

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Charlton fan wot has lived for 15+ years in Brighton here (been to as many Albion games as Charlton in the past 18 months, to be honest, but will always describe myself as Charlton). This will probably be our only sold out away allocation of the entire season, and yes there will be a fair few arseholes down. Around the same time last year apparently, a bunch of dicks went to Hastings and caused a near riot, smashing up pubs and fighting bouncers (cover story in Hastings paper at the time). There wasn't even a game on that weekend.

Beat up a female bouncer very badly and the Old Bill confiscated a load of calling cards from their coach if I remember rightly.

They were definitely Charlton lads, although while I was covering the story a lot of locals said that sort of thing used to happen every other weekend back in the old days with Charlton, West Ham and Millwall on alternating weekends!

steward 433

Back and better
Nov 4, 2007
Brighton
Beat up a female bouncer very badly and the Old Bill confiscated a load of calling cards from their coach if I remember rightly.

They were definitely Charlton lads, although while I was covering the story a lot of locals said that sort of thing used to happen every other weekend back in the old days with Charlton, West Ham and Millwall on alternating weekends!

Hope i am not on the away end then as wanted a peaceful weekend

jmsc

Jul 19, 2003
Old Shoreham Road :o(
Every club has its arsehole supporters, I for one would rather remember the
fantastic support Charlton gave us at the fans united game at the Goldstone
in the dark days of archole and bellend!

Charlton fans are always welcome to me - a big thank you for your support
in our darkest days. Here's to meeting in the league again soon.

Once again, thank you!

fataddick

Feb 6, 2004
The seaside.
have Charlton got 900 fans?

To be fair, there are (if I remember correctly) about 500 Charlton season ticket holders in Sussex. The club runs subsidised coaches to home matches from Worthing, Brighton, Eastbourne, Crawley, Hastings, etc. We played a testimonial at Withdean a few years back on a midweek evening during the season (testimonial for a physio with Brighton winning 2-0 and Zamora getting both if my hazy memory of it is correct) and had about 150-200 in the away end then, presumably - given the timing - all local rather than down from London.

I'd imagine about a third of our support on Saturday will be Sussex-based rather than London/Kent. A third will be family types from London/Kent. The other third will be lads (and the occasional lass) on the piss, mostly harmless but with a few idiots. A lot of the talk on message boards is about what pubs people are drinking in on Friday night, so it does seem the weekend-on-the-piss-by-the-seaside crowd will be out in force. One numpty has posted about wanting to get revenge for some incident outside the Goldstone twenty-odd years ago (!), but to be honest, the proper hooligans seem to be getting infinitely more excited about our home game against Swansea two weeks later. I imagine any trouble that does occur will be on West Street/the seafront late in the evening/night. Avoiding West Street on a Saturday night is a sensible tactic at the best of times!

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here