Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Brighton v Blackburn 1979

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Was that the game (last game of the season?) where if we won and the Southampton vs Tottenham hadn't been fixed there was a chance we could have got promoted to the top tier?

dont remind me of that......I am so glad the scummers are going down just because of that day.

Freddie Goodwin.

Mar 31, 2007
Brighton
Just to clarify. this was the last home game of the promotion season, Blackpool was the season before and was the last day of the season when Southampton & Spurs contrived their draw.

Af this Blackburn game it was feared that the FA or FL would demand the game replayed so Albion, who had planned to re-lay the pitch anyway, hastily dug it up so there was no chance of any replayed match.

The following week Albion won promotion at newcastle and, the day after did their bus tour of Brighton & hove. This started at a packed Goldstone where the players were just able to do a lap of honour around the ploughed up pitch. happy days!

aberllefenni

Jan 15, 2009
I've still got one of the signed balls they kicked into the crowd that day. Is my memory playing tricks or did Lawrenson break his arm in the previous game?

Freddie Goodwin.

Mar 31, 2007
Brighton
Not sure what game he did his are in but he certainly missed the final day and had his arm in a sling at the celebrations.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here