Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Brighton V Arsenal on Amazon Prime . Will you be watching ?

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
A cracking summary from Jonathan Liew in the Guardian;

"This, in many ways, is how Amazon implants itself in our lives: subtly, seamlessly, insidiously. It appears and it disappears at the same time. First it takes over your bookshelf. Then your music player. Then your food cupboard and the items in your drawers. Then your evenings in front of the television. Self-worth gets delivered promptly to your door within one working day. It’s all so easy, so frictionless, you don’t notice the 30-day trial you forgot to cancel, the data you’re giving away for free, the factory workers denied toilet breaks, the small high street bookshop with closing down signs in the windows.

In many ways, it’s a form of sportswashing as stealthy and cynical as any nation-state could dream up. Like any large corporation trying to monetise your love of football, Amazon is not doing this for love of the game. Football is the conduit, the glossy leafleting campaign, the free cheese samples, the sweets placed tantalisingly by the till. Would I like Amazon to provide a more reliable stream and some more incisive analysis? Yes. But on balance, I think I’d probably rather it just paid more tax.

:clap2:

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
A cracking summary from Jonathan Liew in the Guardian;

"This, in many ways, is how Amazon implants itself in our lives: subtly, seamlessly, insidiously. It appears and it disappears at the same time. First it takes over your bookshelf. Then your music player. Then your food cupboard and the items in your drawers. Then your evenings in front of the television. Self-worth gets delivered promptly to your door within one working day. It’s all so easy, so frictionless, you don’t notice the 30-day trial you forgot to cancel, the data you’re giving away for free, the factory workers denied toilet breaks, the small high street bookshop with closing down signs in the windows.

In many ways, it’s a form of sportswashing as stealthy and cynical as any nation-state could dream up. Like any large corporation trying to monetise your love of football, Amazon is not doing this for love of the game. Football is the conduit, the glossy leafleting campaign, the free cheese samples, the sweets placed tantalisingly by the till. Would I like Amazon to provide a more reliable stream and some more incisive analysis? Yes. But on balance, I think I’d probably rather it just paid more tax.

:clap2:
If you hadn't given the author/paper, it would not have been too tricky to work out whence that article originated.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
If you hadn't given the author/paper, it would not have been too tricky to work out whence that article originated.

I may ask [MENTION=70]Easy 10[/MENTION] to prove he read that article in 3 months time so I hope he has taken a photograph of it.

GOM

living vicariously
Aug 8, 2005
Leeds - but not the dirty bit
Are you on their board?

Compare to a bookshop or something where the employees get paid and taxed, but crucially that bookshop also has to pay tax on it's profits. Hence why there are fewer and fewer bookshops

Amazon have a socially damaging and morally reprehensible business model, which any responsible government would do everything in their power to make illegal.

No, but I do admire their model and their customer service.

There are fewer and fewer bookshops because the model/world has changed in the same way as there are fewer and fewer hardware shops, or Farriers/Blacksmiths or milkmen that deliver to the door to name but a few.

The Amazon model is very successful, NOW, it may not be in the future. Perhaps we ought to make Ebay illegal too, or Google (has almost wiped out those encyclopaedia sales), or perhaps any of the new emerging businesses. LETS BAN 'EM ALL.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away

Are you saying that because it was well written, sensible and doesn't bow down to big business?

chimneys

Jun 11, 2007
Is there an ability to record the match as already committed elsewhere that evening.

Anyone sussed this out after last night yet? Am guessing not possible to record, but is it just one catch up at midnight on the day of game, or can you watch after?

Not so much of an issue tomorrow, but on Boxing Day, if cant make live game, going to have to keep away from social media for 9.5 hours if not showing again till midnight.

GOM

living vicariously
Aug 8, 2005
Nobody is going to pay extra tax on their own. That's not reasonable. Every business should be made to pay their fair share if they want to trade in this country.

Exactly, nobody is going to pay extra tax on their own, neither you or any business, why would they ? What would be fair ? Would paying their legal obligation be fair or some random number depending on whether the Guardian likes your business or not.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Anyone sussed this out after last night yet? Am guessing not possible to record, but is it just one catch up at midnight on the day of game, or can you watch after?

Not so much of an issue tomorrow, but on Boxing Day, if cant make live game, going to have to keep away from social media for 9.5 hours if not showing again till midnight.

Looking on there now I can select either of last nights games and watch a full replay of it (not that I'd want to mind, sheesh). Or highlights. Or extended highlights. Dunno how fast that came up though.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
No, but I do admire their model and their customer service.

There are fewer and fewer bookshops because the model/world has changed in the same way as there are fewer and fewer hardware shops, or Farriers/Blacksmiths or milkmen that deliver to the door to name but a few.

The Amazon model is very successful, NOW, it may not be in the future. Perhaps we ought to make Ebay illegal too, or Google (has almost wiped out those encyclopaedia sales), or perhaps any of the new emerging businesses. LETS BAN 'EM ALL.

But this isn’t true. There aren’t fewer bookshops around because people want fewer books. It’s that there are some types of business who pay tax on profits and some that don’t.

Same for cafes. People want to go to cafes. It’s still a perfectly good way of making business. Except customers can choose to go to independent ones who have to pay tax on their profits or global ones which don’t. The global ones have the ability to undercut on prices and so gradually they send the others out of business and everything gets more homogenised. Same with food. Same with a load of other sectors.

Trying to compare it to blacksmiths going out of business is ridiculous. People still want these services, but understandably they default to these cheapest provider and expect their government to take care of making it a level playing field. Which they don’t

GOM

living vicariously
Aug 8, 2005

There is software out there that enables you to record Netflix and Amazon Video to a computer but have I no experience of it and no idea if you can set it to record in advance.

A quick google search for something like 'recording from amazon prime video to computer' I'm sure would turn up something

Last edited:

GOM

living vicariously
Aug 8, 2005
But this isn’t true. There aren’t fewer bookshops around because people want fewer books. It’s that there are some types of business who pay tax on profits and some that don’t.

Same for cafes. People want to go to cafes. It’s still a perfectly good way of making business. Except customers can choose to go to independent ones who have to pay tax on their profits or global ones which don’t. The global ones have the ability to undercut on prices and so gradually they send the others out of business and everything gets more homogenised. Same with food. Same with a load of other sectors.

Trying to compare it to blacksmiths going out of business is ridiculous. People still want these services, but understandably they default to these cheapest provider and expect their government to take care of making it a level playing field. Which they don’t

I never said there were fewer bookshops because people want fewer books. I said the model has changed and as you said 'understandably they default to these cheapest provider'. Indeed people want to go to cafes, Brighton is probably a fine example, as is Leeds of where the independent has a large foothold and is outwitting the corporates, it can be done.
People still want milk and tools and screws and nails but they have changed their way of getting it. Time moves on, some people find that hard.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
I never said there were fewer bookshops because people want fewer books. I said the model has changed and as you said 'understandably they default to these cheapest provider'. Indeed people want to go to cafes, Brighton is probably a fine example, as is Leeds of where the independent has a large foothold and is outwitting the corporates, it can be done.
People still want milk and tools and screws and nails but they have changed their way of getting it. Time moves on, some people find that hard.

But imagine how much easier it would be to outwit the corporates if those corporates paid a comparable level of tax on profits

It's got nothing to do with not moving with the times. It's a fundamental and completely uncomplicated issue of fairness in the taxation system. Of expecting small organisations who pay tax to compete with large organisations who don't. I have no issue at all with people ordering goods online.

GOM

living vicariously
Aug 8, 2005
....... It's a fundamental and completely uncomplicated issue of fairness in the taxation system. .

There we have the crux of the issue. Stop blaming Amazon or any of the other 'corporates' for obeying the law, in the same way that you obey the law and pay your due taxes, blame the tax system of this and other countries.

Stop demanding that Amazon pay a 'fair amount', start demanding tax legislation changes to make them pay more. Stop other EU countries providing a lower tax home for them than here.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
There we have the crux of the issue. Stop blaming Amazon or any of the other 'corporates' for obeying the law, in the same way that you obey the law and pay your due taxes, blame the tax system of this and other countries.

Stop demanding that Amazon pay a 'fair amount', start demanding tax legislation changes to make them pay more. Stop other EU countries providing a lower tax home for them than here.

That's exactly what I do demand

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
They done nothing illegal,just down to what kind of world you want to live in. Personally I'd rather put a few quid in the hands of a local book shop that actually enhances the community. Or I could save a couple of quid and get it from a huge US Corporate

Which bookshops are showing our match tonight??

Southern Scouse

Jul 21, 2011
I was so pissed yesterday as I bought some perfume on Amazon and having been bamboozled at the check out got next day delivery by signing up to a free trial!
So being really, really annoyed I spent a further 20 cancelling it only to find out I had a months free TV. Having a look it seems I’m going to see a lot of games this month 😂

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here