Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] ******** Brighton U21s thread ********

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
There really are not many. Who are you thinking of?
I can hardly name names, Can I? I don't know who Hurzeler's going to put in the team or on the bench against Wolves, or who he wants to have a rest between Ipswich and Forest. So, whoever's left over after that - yes, not many, but probably not none either.
After the annual loan exodus of youngsters, we are very light for a game like this (especially 24 hours before a league cup tie that we’ll need fringe players for).

If we could call on O’Mahony, Moran, Offiah, Nilsson, Baker Boaty, Cozier-Duberry and Doyle, then I dare say we’d have given Wycombe a tougher game.
Yes - and Buonanotte, Barrington, Beadle, Chouchane, Jackson and Nilsson too! Of course, our senior U21s are always likely to be out there playing at a higher level than MK Dons (these heady days anyway). Our actual U21 teams are usually very young U21 teams, regularly including U18s.

Han Solo

May 25, 2024
I think the merits of our entrance into this competition can always be debated but its an interesting watch, as our Under 21s number one fan (at least according to futbology :lolol: ) I do enjoy seeing how they get on in these games, hence my attendance last night. Some teams take this competition pretty seriously and some don't, last night Wycombe did the former, I saw AFC Wimbledon play in it a few years ago against Palace U21, and they literally played their U18 squad against them (as well as current Whitehawk keeper Zaki Oululah, FUN FACT). The issue with the U21 team is that so many go out on loan that you are kind of left with a load of left overs and U18s, the physicality last night is what out did us, I hope Lubala isn't on a big goal bonus, or that could have been the gate receipts wiped out. People hyper analyse the U21s and I lot of it is about trying different systems and techniques, I wouldn't be too disparaged, Cahill and Jacob Vickers quite frankly had a nightmare they'll learn a lot from that game, but some players looked promising, Harry Howell played some neat stuff, Zane Albarus came on and looked a bright spark. Tasker will go on to be a very good player albiet had a mixed game last night. As well Josh Duffus held the ball up well at times, but sadly didn't get on the teamsheet, I've been impressed with him this season. Ultimately I don't expect us to win it, and to get to the quarters last season was a fantastic achievement (and very funny knocking Reading out of it), will be at Wimbledon as I don't work a million miles away and quite a few mates are using it as an opportunity to tick off the ground. Do think the one VERY ANGRY man needs to lower his expectation with these games, they are young lads likely playing their first game of mens football, its a great test for them, much like I'm a big fan of the 18s/21s playing in the Senior Cup as it teaches them a lesson or two. To scream 'F*cking useless' and 'disgraceful' and 'you should all be ashamed' to 18 year old lads in a dead silent stadium must be a bit disparaging, ultimately the game means nothing, as well when you consider most of the crowd are players families, was particularly annoyed at the cheering of Duffus coming off (who IMO thought was one of the better players) was a shame. Turned out being a pretty exciting game in the end, so not all is lost.
Maybe hired by the club to prepare them for the Premier League...

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Yeah, yeah, yeah - but how many of those were at a Wembley final?

(I'm not really disagreeing with you, like Whitechapel you're correct, it's just that I'd love to see us win a cup at Wembley - any cup. I'm sick of seeing us lose there)
Every time I’ve been to Wembley we’ve lost, and I include England in that. It’s a horrible place to get to, and get away from. That includes the old one too.

I was pleased the Play Offs were at Cardiff.

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
To be very clear, very straight forward: Brighton & Hove Albion U21 can't win this cup. Manchester City U21, Liverpool U21, Arsenal U21 and Chelsea U21 can't get anywhere near winning it either. Its not possible for a youth team to do it, which is why it has not been even close to happening since U21 teams started to get invited in 2016.
Of course it's possible. Difficult, to be sure, but not impossible - and one day it will happen.

And when it does, I hope it's us!

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
This competition is very good for our youngsters. Without reserve team football it is only chance for them to see what a jump it is from Academy to mens football. I would think potential clubs looking to loan players take little notice of performances in Academy games but more in these games. After watching last nights game should think several of our defenders will no longer be on there wanted list.

jackalbion

Aug 30, 2011
Also @AZ Gull are you able to identify these two players here? Travelled with the squad but did not feature on the 18. Believe the lad in the right is Sahil bashir

IMG_2200.jpeg

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
To me the question for the club is, is playing on average a load of 17 year olds, against a load of maybe less talented, but more physically developed and savvy 21 year olds, better for their development than if we just played against players of a similar age group.

If i'm honest I can see it either way. I like the idea they get to see where they have to get to. But last night was a proper physical and mental beating up. A public humiliation of a first half performance. I’m sure for some of the lads that sort of experience will do them good in the long run. For others I’m not so sure

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Would you genuinely have picked Enciso or Baleba, Ayari or Minteh, Hinshelwood or Ferguson?
Aren’t there limits on who we can pick to play in this comp? Regardless it’s a daft idea I'm sure they’re ruled out anyway

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

I believe in Joe Hendry
Oct 4, 2003
Aren’t there limits on who we can pick to play in this comp? Regardless it’s a daft idea I'm sure they’re ruled out anyway

All of the players listed would have been free to play in the competition without affecting the rules for team selection.

The two main rules for academy sides are -

a) 6 of the starting 11 must have been aged under 21 on June 30th 2024. (All players suggested are aged 20 or under so wouldn’t break this rule).

b) The squad can contain no more than 2 players who were aged 21 or over as of June 30th 2024 and that have played over 40 first team fixtures, either as a starter or where they have come on as a sub.

The more pertinent question is why would we risk our best young players who are regulars in the Premier League in a competition where our participation is designed to help develop players not yet at that level.

Turkey

Jul 4, 2003
Albion U21s will take place in the inaugural National League Cup. Consisting of 16 under 21 teams and 16 National League sides.

We've been drawn against Aldershot, Maidenhead, Woking and Wealdstone.

Aldershot on Nov 5th, and Maidenhead on Dec 4th. I can't see dates for the other two anywhere online yet although the round dates are:

Group stage
Match round 1:
1-2 October 2024
Match round 2: 5-6 November 2024
Match round 3: 3-4 December 2024
Match round 4: 21-22 January 2025

Knockout rounds
Quarter-finals:
5-6 February 2025
Semi-finals: 11-12 March 2025
Final: 1-2 April 2025

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
Albion U21s will take place in the inaugural National League Cup. Consisting of 16 under 21 teams and 16 National League sides.

We've been drawn against Aldershot, Maidenhead, Woking and Wealdstone.

Aldershot on Nov 5th, and Maidenhead on Dec 4th. I can't see dates for the other two anywhere online yet although the round dates are:

Group stage
Match round 1:
1-2 October 2024
Match round 2: 5-6 November 2024
Match round 3: 3-4 December 2024
Match round 4: 21-22 January 2025

Knockout rounds
Quarter-finals:
5-6 February 2025
Semi-finals: 11-12 March 2025
Final: 1-2 April 2025
Another abomination of a tournament. :nono: