@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
U21League.jpg

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
The two strikers we have are absolute gash. Seen them a few times.

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
This topic comes up time and time again. Much like our first team our youth team have made a big jump very quickly sadly we dont have a team to compete all the time and thats why we will see players signed in for the time being hopefully to improve the squad and help bring on the few players who will make the step up. Results are never key at under 21 it will be about development. Ideally you get both but its not a huge concern as long as the players we are bringing through continue to improve.

Napier's Knee

Mar 23, 2014
West Sussex
Who was our captain? Guessing it was Tom Dallison?

Armband worn by Robert Hunt. Two development issues to take from match:
1. Lack of leadership on pitch. Dallison was excellent in first half, but second half BHA players spent all time moaning to ref, including one spell when Hunt stopped playing and started shouting 'ref, ref, ref, ref, ref, ref'. Moaning at ref rather than paying attention to game cost us the first goal for sure. The Derby keeper spent all game barking orders and positioning to his team - Walton was pretty much silent.
2. Our strikers are not good, but then again Derby's shooting was stunningly bad. Monakana (OK, winger not striker) either has no confidence, couldn't be bothered or has not developed at all.

Stop moaning at ref, pay attention to the game and things will be better. dAllison is very promising, liked the look of Molumby

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
This topic comes up time and time again. Much like our first team our youth team have made a big jump very quickly sadly we dont have a team to compete all the time and thats why we will see players signed in for the time being hopefully to improve the squad and help bring on the few players who will make the step up. Results are never key at under 21 it will be about development. Ideally you get both but its not a huge concern as long as the players we are bringing through continue to improve.

I think your missing the point, the magic bullet remains development and I have heard there is not loads happening rather more a burgeoning recruitment drive, Prem rejects, John Moreland's new recruiting ground Ireland, and the engineered signings like the, Icelandics, the Real Madrid and the Norweigan kids, accepting they havent all played yet and I do not mean to comment directly on them, I wish them every success its a tough journey.

Our only win was when fielding older and experienced players and there is little evidence that the teams that have tonked us have, so we need to be more competitive thats for sure.

Its not about signing new players, its all about development, trust and nurture, not buying in another set of rejects from London clubs, or Irish lads that have been ignored by those London clubs, that was hardly the policies of those clubs with great records of development.

Looking at the team, we had 3 'homegrown' players, 4 counting Tilley coming on, one big signing (Walton), 2 Irish, 6 released from previous Premier Leagus clubs, it hardly reflects development.

Make a policy of homegrown when possible, support them, offer opportunity and give them the benefit of the doubt, I watched us get to the quarter finals and beating some big guns in the FA youth cup when we had no world class training facility, we have yet to win one game in the FA youth cup with the new regime/set up and I fear we will never replicate that achievement again.

I groan when we sign yet another young player from a 1000 miles away, its another good local youngster squirted out, don't ever believe the false adage that 'if your good enough' bull, ask any professional footballer he will tell you its not true.

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
I think your missing the point, the magic bullet remains development and I have heard there is not loads happening rather more a burgeoning recruitment drive, Prem rejects, John Moreland's new recruiting ground Ireland, and the engineered signings like the, Icelandics, the Real Madrid and the Norweigan kids, accepting they havent all played yet and I do not mean to comment directly on them, I wish them every success its a tough journey.

Our only win was when fielding older and experienced players and there is little evidence that the teams that have tonked us have, so we need to be more competitive thats for sure.

Its not about signing new players, its all about development, trust and nurture, not buying in another set of rejects from London clubs, or Irish lads that have been ignored by those London clubs, that was hardly the policies of those clubs with great records of development.

Looking at the team, we had 3 'homegrown' players, 4 counting Tilley coming on, one big signing (Walton), 2 Irish, 6 released from previous Premier Leagus clubs, it hardly reflects development.

Make a policy of homegrown when possible, support them, offer opportunity and give them the benefit of the doubt, I watched us get to the quarter finals and beating some big guns in the FA youth cup when we had no world class training facility, we have yet to win one game in the FA youth cup with the new regime/set up and I fear we will never replicate that achievement again.

I groan when we sign yet another young player from a 1000 miles away, its another good local youngster squirted out, don't ever believe the false adage that 'if your good enough' bull, ask any professional footballer he will tell you its not true.

Nailed it and spot on.

The only thing i would disagree with is about signing players from miles away. That doesn't bother me. You have to spread your wings because you won't find enough talent in just Sussex alone.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Nailed it and spot on.

The only thing i would disagree with is about signing players from miles away. That doesn't bother me. You have to spread your wings because you won't find enough talent in just Sussex alone.

I don't know much about our U21s or youth set up in general, but I agree strongly with you last sentence. We're playing against the 24 best U21s teams in England; there's no way that we could compete if we restricted ourselves to Sussex talent. The facilities may be first class, but there's only so far that can take a player if he doesn't have the natural talent.

shaolinpunk

[Insert witty title here]
Nov 28, 2005
Brighton
We won't really see the fruits of the club's labour with youth development for another few years yet. Once players that are still at school start coming through into the development squad we'll get a much better idea of how well the setup is working.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
The point being that we have already successfully competed on a national level in the most distinguished competition and biggest test, the FA Youth cup with nearly predominately Sussex based kids, which perhaps indicates a development strategy superior to ours now, we have yet to win one FA youth cup game since.

This isnt really a comment on just Sussex lads, but the obvious dynamic of the current recruitment policy within the academy, you have the Irish link, the Prem 'rejects' then the engineering of signing internationals, not Spanish, German or Portuguese, yes Iceland no less, to me its just a bit fake.

Ultimately if you accept that the talent here in Sussex is similar to the talent available to us elsewhere then Sussex should be preferable, not arbitrary but a favourable recruitment policy, at the moment if you are a good right back from say Woodingdean but the club have also a right back from say Ireland on trial, then even with similar performances from each, bizarrely the recruitment decision is weighted in favour of the Irish kid, its where Moreland does his business its a justification of his appointment, it somehow offers more browny points for the Academy recruitment department, the kid from Woodingdean is seen as just a little bit meh, no vested interest for the academy, only the Dad coach at Woodingdean Wombats would be worthy of any credit, at this level the decisions can be that fragile.

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
Ive only seen 4 Devt Squad games but on each occasion we were beaten by a bigger, stronger, fitter and better organised team - not sure we're quite getting it right at this level???

Crewton Ram

Jan 10, 2013
Ssewankambo is a name of note. No idea what he's like as a footballer, but definitely a name of note.

A name with endless comic potential - he might have to get himself a pseudonym if he ever makes it big. He's represented Sweden at U17, 19 & now U21 level, spent a couple of years at Chelsea and then joined NAC Breda in Holland and played 13 times in the Eredivisie. Had Cyrus Christie not rediscovered his form, Wanky might even have broken into the first XI at some point. He's a prospect, but like many of our U21 team, probably not quite ready to hold down a regular first-team squad place. I can see him going out on loan at some point to get further experience.

Mason Bennett has been a 'hot prospect' for the last 4 years, an England regular at U17 and U19 levels. At one point, he looked nailed on for a first team place by now, but lost his way in a couple of loan moves that didn't work out, then got a bad injury last year. He's been dropped back into the U21 squad to get him back on track if possible. He needs to get his head right.

Overall, that U21 squad has been put together with a view to competing against the big clubs at this level, which they do. A few players were brought last year specifically to strengthen the group, which it has. But I couldn't honestly predict whether any of them will become first team regulars at Derby or anywhere else. Of those still playing regularly at U21 level, Max Lowe, a left-back, is rated the best prospect, but is currently injured.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here