Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Brighton to crash & burn financially?

HastingsSeagull

Jan 13, 2010
BGC Manila
I am merely pointing out the facts. No slating here. Have you seen some of the threads started by your fellow fans on the BBS. What are you scared of?

No because I wouldn't go on another teams' forum when we have a better one here on OUR team and community. Why don't you trot on back to the BBS and come back the week of your cup final?

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
I was restricted to the "away end" after a single post , no criticism is allowed on their main board.

I don't look at the away end anymore. It's so anti-albion it kills me.

But I do have an ID on the BBS, have made about 20 posts, but never even comment on palace specifically out of respect for palace friends I know who use that board.

Lethargic

Oct 11, 2006
Horsham
Thank you for your considered opinion and well-thought out addition to the debate.

No thank you for your in depth analysis our our financial situation something the club are openly sharing with the fans. We are fully aware that we made a lose but we are in a much better position than probably every other Championship club worrying isn't it so what was the profit/lose for Palace?

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
..if attendance figures is all you can come up with then you may as well start staring up your own fundament and whistling into the cavernous wilderness......

maybe you dont understand: all championship clubs have similar cost base from players wages. we have 10k more paying punters through the gate than Palace. which club is in a better position? feel sorry for the the fans there because they overlook the fact thier stadium is shot and may well face clousure of a stand, not reported locally.

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
The OP should really be asking the question of his own Club's CEO about how they will comply with FFP rather than worry about us. They have the precious windfall money for Zaha but you can only cash in on that once.

I think Barber is merely reminding fans and the wider footie community that FFP will bring harsh realities. It will be reckless for any Club going on a spending spree, especially in a s**t or bust attempt to buy into the Prem before FFP. Inevitably there will be one or two Champ clubs who spend big then just miss out and leave themselves crucified under FFP. At least Barber he is prepared to state publicly what every Chief Exec should be thinking about. The Albion signed up to FFP and has to keep costs within control. Barber is an experienced footie CEO and should know what is required. That is why Tony Bloom appointed him. If I were a fan of another Club where they aren't making similar public statements and appear to be in denial of FFP, then I would be really worried.

Our financial accounts aren't going to look pretty considering the huge capital investments in the stadium, then adding more seats and now the training complex. Normally a longer term view is taken of capital expenditure. However we do need to be in control of day to day operating costs, especially as we are only in the second financial year at The Amex and haven't yet optimised income.

I wouldn't want to see ticket prices increase above inflation but our current prices are excellent value in terms of facilities compared to most Championship (and maybe some Prem grounds). Selhurst Park and Portman Road come to mind as being poor value for money. But I do think our subsidised travel will have to be reviewed and opportunities to increase things like shirt sponsorship deals.

It is good that FFP will reign in the profligate expenditures by faceless JCL billionaire owners and I hope that other factors like parachute payments will be reviewed, as surely they will undermine FFP. It is ridiculous that Clubs like Blackburn can blow £8m on Rhodes. We are lucky to have a reasonable transfer budget and a sensible cap on players salaries but sadly not what Gus would like in an ideal world. Given the rollercoaster history of the Albion I am pleased that Tony Bloom isn't throwing huge amounts on transfers. I know it means we cannot compete with the biggest spenders. Even so it seems we have just spent £200k on a 17 year old keeper and presumably the £2m from the VVD deal is still available? Amazing to think we are in such a position. As fans we all want to sustain our position and ideally be among the play offs but I will be content with paying reasonable ticket prices to see a competitive squad play decent Championship footie that keeps crowd numbers high enough to cover costs. Anything more than that is a bonus.

D

Deleted member 22389

I know there are many who point the finger at Palace for having shaky finances. (All of which is bollox IMHO) but this looks like a trap that the brighton could fall into....BBC Sport - Brighton Hove Albion: Paul Barber issues financial warning

This is old news, as much as you would love us to crash and burn, you should really be more worried about your clubs own finances. Our crowds are the best in the championship, we are being run properly and are checking our spending and ensuring we turn a real profit in the future and most importantly following these rules. What does this say about other clubs in the league with lower attendances and the only revenue streams are from match days. We are selling loads of merchandise, food and drink, corporate hospitality, and booking events.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Were we to crash and burn, we'd have a much better chance of recovery than we'd have had if we were still at Gillingham or Withdean so looking on the bright side here :thumbsup:

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
Are any clubs actually financially viable without a huge subsidy from the owners? I vaguely remember reading somewhere (but can't be bothered to check) that almost every club (including the premiership) could be regarded as technically bankrupt if the banks took a really hard line.

screamadelica

Jan 28, 2013
Are any clubs actually financially viable without a huge subsidy from the owners? I vaguely remember reading somewhere (but can't be bothered to check) that almost every club (including the premiership) could be regarded as technically bankrupt if the banks took a really hard line.

Relegated clubs will be exempt for the 4 years following relegation years enabling there chairman to spend what he likes to get promoted ,they will also recieve 48 million in parachute payments spread over 4 years.FFP will create a vast divide in the championship and we will be in the lower half of that divide as we will not have the same funds as the relegated sides.Next Season Blackburn will get 16 million in parachute payments alone

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Relegated clubs will be exempt for the 4 years following relegation years enabling there chairman to spend what he likes to get promoted ,they will also recieve 48 million in parachute payments spread over 4 years.FFP will create a vast divide in the championship and we will be in the lower half of that divide as we will not have the same funds as the relegated sides.Next Season Blackburn will get 16 million in parachute payments alone

That being the case, we will never get promoted unless the rules change :down:

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham

Not sure that is quite right - found this on the football league website: "http://www.football-league.co.uk/page/FLExplainedDetail/0,,10794~2748246,00.html

"Clubs relegated from the Premier League will not be subject to sanctions in their first season in the Championship as long as they have met their financial obligations under Premier League regulations. They would, however, be subject to the potential of a Fair Play Tax if they achieved promotion in their first season in the Championship whilst not complying with the FFP regulations."

tweenster

Oct 16, 2009
Lincoln
I know there are many who point the finger at Palace for having shaky finances. (All of which is bollox IMHO) but this looks like a trap that the brighton could fall into....BBC Sport - Brighton Hove Albion: Paul Barber issues financial warning
That BBC article is over a month old so hardly news.

In Barber I think we have a CE who is business savvy and is determined to make us a viable (ie profit making) concern, and not just limit the losses to comply with FFP. I am very happy that he is openly discussing this; there are many CEs who won't and that would bother me.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
In Barber I think we have a CE who is business savvy and is determined to make us a viable (ie profit making) concern, and not just limit the losses to comply with FFP. I am very happy that he is openly discussing this; there are many CEs who won't and that would bother me.

Especially if they threaten to sue you if you question what is going on in the club.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
I don't give a rats about other clubs, therefore I don't know that this is true.
But like you it seems to me only PB is talking about FFP.

I just can't help thinking we (PB) is working to make us viable, while everyone else is working just as hard to get round it.

Exactly the point I was making. We are preparing for FFP we are not trying to work around it. For me this puts us in a good place to benefit from it.

Crofty from the BBS and he's gone back on there whining like a slapped bitch - whoever next MaidenEagle ? :rotlf:

Last edited:

Aug 17, 2011
Sevenoaks
Part of the problem was the subsidised travel voucher which cost the club a seven figure number last season. Even allowing for the £30 surcharge on the season ticket, it isn't being covered. Barber is also working hard to get a good shirt sponsorship, and to get running costs down.

I love the fact that a Palace supporter whose club has cynically and blatantly gone into administration twice is trying to lecture us on running an efficiently financial club. Those in glass palaces cannot throw stones. We have had setting up costs, building costs and other expenses that won't be repeated in the coming years. Attendances are important as they bring income into the club but that's only part of the equation which is why the stadium is being used for conferences and with restaurant and brasserie open during the week.

Simon Jordan didn't cynically take us into administration, (neither did Goldberg come to that)
It's possible we were cynically bought back out of administration, entirely different thing.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here