Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Travel] Brighton Station Exit and Re-enter farce

jonny.rainbow

Oct 29, 2005
Caught a train from the West Coast line with a planned swift interchange to the East Coast line today and fell foul of some weird system whereby Southern want you to exit via the barriers and re-enter.

I assume this is a revenue protection scheme but is a massive ball-ache for ticket holding passengers. Annoyingly, I saw two young ratbags without tickets disembark a train from Seaford and force their way through the cordons onto an West Cost train unchallenged.

Southern is such a shambles of an operator.

Attachments

• IMG_1204.jpeg
    IMG_1204.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 179

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Excluding a few like St Pancras where some platforms are in completely different parts of the station, I've never come across this.
Correct, Victoria the same interchanging between Southern and Southeastern, but London Bridge you can move between any platform without going through a gate.

It’s 100% revenue protection.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
How about a novel idea.

If all stations were staffed, they could check everyone's ticket at their destination station.

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
How about a novel idea.

If all stations were staffed, they could check everyone's ticket at their destination station.
Many stations have no barriers or ticket/staff office. You can get on and off at 6 stops out of 9 on the Seaford to Btn line with no exit barriers. Twice at Lewes in the last week someone has ghosted in behind me when I'm going through the bicycle barrier, bizarrely middle aged women both times. I mentioned it at the time to the station staff and they weren't interested, the girl employee at the barrier too interested in her mobile phone to even look up when I was telling her.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Perhaps more revenue from fare dodgers would `help pay the staffing?

Basically the rail service should be run by the Government with no shareholder pressures.
Those of us who remember British Rail, don’t look back with affection. However the rail operators in sone cases are useless!

nordicgod

Top banana
Jul 21, 2011
polegate
Just do what all the scum bags do , push through or even push through the barriers in front of the agency staff as they won’t do anything anyway . The free loaders have been getting away with it since Covid when you could literally travel for free and they just don’t care anymore , gone are the days of hiding in train toilets or pretending to sleep , they just turn around now and say their phone has died so can’t show ticket or just say they aren’t buying one and nothing is done about it . Boils my piss

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Many stations have no barriers or ticket/staff office. You can get on and off at 6 stops out of 9 on the Seaford to Btn line with no exit barriers. Twice at Lewes in the last week someone has ghosted in behind me when I'm going through the bicycle barrier, bizarrely middle aged women both times. I mentioned it at the time to the station staff and they weren't interested, the girl employee at the barrier too interested in her mobile phone to even look up when I was telling her.
It’s actually mostly middle aged people in fancy areas who are doing it, it’s all about the entitlement

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
How about a novel idea.

Or just be totally barrier free and have “control” or a guard check on the bus, tram, u-bahn, s-bahn or train. Far easier for everyone.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Just do what all the scum bags do , push through or even push through the barriers in front of the agency staff as they won’t do anything anyway . The free loaders have been getting away with it since Covid when you could literally travel for free and they just don’t care anymore , gone are the days of hiding in train toilets or pretending to sleep , they just turn around now and say their phone has died so can’t show ticket or just say they aren’t buying one and nothing is done about it . Boils my piss
I once hid in various toilets all the way from Stafford to Brighton. I was on my way back from an away match. Only thing is, I did have a ticket and lost it.

On another occasion I was, bravely, have a number 2 and the ticket inspector was banging on the door !

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
The Brighton station thing has been going happening occasionally for a few months now. Really annoying if youve got a connection to make given how often trains run late making that connection hectic.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Or just have free public transport....
The heavies that check tickets, and the on-the-spot fines, seem to deter most. It’s also only 30 euros a month for all transport in AB Berlin so most people just have a monthly on their phone and forget about it whether they use public transport once or a hundred times month.

HeaviestTed

I’m eating
NSC Patron
Mar 23, 2023
The heavies that check tickets, and the on-the-spot fines, seem to deter most. It’s also only 30 euros a month for all transport in AB Berlin so most people just have a monthly on their phone and forget about it whether they use public transport once or a hundred times month.
That would be great but our version would probably cost 500 a month 🥺

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here