Brighton school snobs - Oh it has to be Balfour

• Thread starter Deleted User X18H
  • Start date

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
so how was your French, SOG? and Latin - very useful in Grimsby I suspect

French came in very handy when I worked for BT International (originally in North Road before moving to Manchester Street and then up to Grimsby) , I built up my fluency level to the standard needed to be a linguist connecting overseas calls (inbound , outbound and transitting the UK). I became a senior operator linguist in 1985 which involved supervising the linguist team.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Ofsted is only an indicator of how well a school ticks it's boxes, and not a reflection on the quality of the teaching as there are no assessments for inspiration, creativity, joy of learning etc. That isn't to say an Ofsted outstanding school isn't outstanding in every manner, but equally there are Ofsted satisfactory schools that are outstanding teaching establishments, and Ofsted outstanding schools whose teaching is average and uninspired. Especially at Primary level, judge a school by it's personality, the enthusiasm of it's teachers, the celebration of work on the walls, the enjoyment of the kids, and not whether they are particularly good at hitting convenient targets set by successive governments.

Totally agree. When we were looking at where to live, we looked at schools and Coldean had a good ethos - even though it wasn't rated too highly. Since we've been here, the school has shot up the Ofsted rankings but still ticks a lot of the boxes for pupil creativity - our kids like going to school, that's what counts.

I started in 65 in 1.3 with Charlie Law and finished in 72 in UVI 23 with Jack Milford

Jeez, Jack Milford - worst teacher I had at Varndean (and there were some shockers).

I hadn't realised there were so many old lags on NSC. Tony Towner's Fridge and I were in the 1968 to 75 batch but pleased to see there are some more.

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
I started in 65 in 1.3 with Charlie Law and finished in 72 in UVI 23 with Jack Milford
Funny how some classes stick. I started 66 1.41 Pete Hodgett, then 2.30 John (Lefty) Wright, 3.9 and struggling now although finished the normal years with John Cunningham who I thought was excellent. My repeat year included Steve Ovett in Additional Maths.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Didn't John Cunningham do the cricket commentary sometimes on BBC Radio Brighton ? I do remember a blackboard rubber whistling past my left ear thrown by Harry "The Mad Axeman" Allt when I wasn't paying attention during a History period.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
That was John Smith, the gym teacher

I was trying to recall the names of some of the teachers but the memories have faded away like the Geography teacher who was originally from Scunthorpe.
Mr Turner was the headmaster. Mr Bruce , Mr Allt , Mr Clatworthy , Mr Milford , Mr Griffiths , Mr Wilson , Mr Law , Mr Eley ,

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
I was trying to recall the names of some of the teachers but the memories have faded away like the Geography teacher who was originally from Scunthorpe.

Steve Packer - I think his brother played pro football, or do you mean Alan Gray.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here