Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Brighton school snobs - Oh it has to be Balfour

• Thread starter Deleted User X18H
  • Start date

D

Deleted User X18H

Now I have no idea where little HB&B's are going to go but Mowden seems unlikely now as does Windelsham.

So what is all the fuss about Balfour? We are just out of the scope apparently, but are in the area for Stanford.

But we have various neighbours who's kids go to school at West Blatch, Aldrington and Westdene.

Our nearest non fee paying school is Cottesmore St Mary's, is it not religous discrimination that our kids can't go there as we are not catholic?

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
West Blatch. didn't do us any harm. Or did it.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Standards are seriously slipping should they not have a place booked at Eton and a nice prep school lined up ?

supaseagull

Feb 19, 2004
The United Kingdom of Mile Oak
Now I have no idea where little HB&B's are going to go but Mowden seems unlikely now as does Windelsham.

So what is all the fuss about Balfour? We are just out of the scope apparently, but are in the area for Stanford.

But we have various neighbours who's kids go to school at West Blatch, Aldrington and Westdene.

Our nearest non fee paying school is Cottesmore St Mary's, is it not religous discrimination that our kids can't go there as we are not catholic?

Mate of mine is a primary teacher at st marys in Portslade and I asked him about whether kids had to be RC to go there and he said no, so I guess it'll be the same for Cottesmore...ring up the head they'll let u know.

Mtoto

Sep 28, 2003
Mate of mine is a primary teacher at st marys in Portslade and I asked him about whether kids had to be RC to go there and he said no, so I guess it'll be the same for Cottesmore...ring up the head they'll let u know.

Only happens at Cottesmore if not enough RC children to fill two classes of 30, and that hasn't happened for years. Barring some very odd demographic blip, you stand no chance.

Train Spotter

Jul 8, 2003
Brighton

I don't know why you are calling Balfour snobs - I would have thought with your name you wouldn't want to be seen dead in Brighton. I am no snob & neither are my kids all of whom have been to/ are at Balfour - Stringer - Vardean VI form.

The problem with the ever shrinking catchment area is the DFL's (Down from London) moving into the area buying up all the houses from old grannies etc.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
There are five outstanding primary schools in B&H according to Ofsted: Balfour, Coldean, St Andrews, Westdene and Woodingdean. My kids go to Coldean (and very good it is too) but in all honesty, I reckon there's not to much difference between school at that sort of age. You can pick one at random and I'm sure it will be fine.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
I seem to remember a large number of pupils at Varndean Boys were from Balfour. It was elitist 40 years ago because all the posh kids went there. In my school year there was only a handful of us whose parents were lower working class. I guess that today its much the same with the youngsters at Balfour being driven 400 yards to school in a 4X4 by their mummy.

HovaGirl

I'll try a breakfast pie
Jul 16, 2009
West Hove

No, it's a Catholic school which teaches and follows the Catholic faith. We were always popping over the road to Mass when I was there. My kids couldn't go there because we had married in the Church of England and in the eyes of the Catholic Church, and the school, we weren't married at all, and thus, the children were illegitimate. In order for our children to attend Cottesmore, the school required us to be married in the Catholic Church. As I'm not a hypocrite, I didn't bother and the kids went to another school.

HovaGirl

I'll try a breakfast pie
Jul 16, 2009
West Hove
I seem to remember a large number of pupils at Varndean Boys were from Balfour. It was elitist 40 years ago because all the posh kids went there. In my school year there was only a handful of us whose parents were lower working class. I guess that today its much the same with the youngsters at Balfour being driven 400 yards to school in a 4X4 by their mummy.

Forty years ago, Varndean was a Grammar School, so it wasn't the "posh" kids that went there, but bright working- and middle-class kids who had passed their 11+.

The Fifth Column

Lazy mug
Nov 30, 2010
Hangleton
West Blatch? Only if you want your child to learn English as a second language Tim!

Hangleton Infants is also rated Outstanding and I can tell you is a fantastic little school.

Bigtomfu

Jul 25, 2003
Harrow
I guess that today its much the same with the youngsters at Balfour being driven 400 yards to school in a 4X4 by their mummy.

Or walking across the playing fields from the Surrenden Road end.

Oh I see your point.....

;)

In all seriousness my sister and I both went through the Balfour mix and came out ok - don't think it's a question of what's all the fuss about it as much as i'ts just a ruddy fine education establishment.

CliveWalkerWingWizard

Aug 31, 2006
surrenden

My kids go to balfour, yes it is a good school, the parents however are not the 4x4 crowd more the middle class new hippy type. At junior school level I think kids will do well if bright enough, the problem comes at secondary school where they can be easily led.

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
West Blatch? Only if you want your child to learn English as a second language Tim!

Hangleton Infants is also rated Outstanding and I can tell you is a fantastic little school.

Blimey. It must have changed a bit in the last 53 Years! :dunce:

1234andcounting

Mar 31, 2008
Excuse me. I went to Balfour and Varndean (1963-76, in total); my dad was a painter and decorator; my mum an office clerk. Both had left school at 14. Middle class I was not, at that time. Although, thanks to being a beneficiary of the post war settlement (universal free health care and education to degree level) I am now, unashamedly (although I still vote Labour).

The Antikythera Mechanism

The oldest known computer
NSC Patron
Aug 7, 2003
Forty years ago, Varndean was a Grammar School, so it wasn't the "posh" kids that went there, but bright working- and middle-class kids who had passed their 11+.

Spot on. When I was at Balfour only one child in our year failed the 11+. Most of us went to VGSB & VGSG

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town

Only 3 of us at Whitehawk Junior that passed the 11+ in 1971 went to VGSB , 1 went to VGSG and 4 went to BHGS. 2 of the boys that went to Varndean from WJS that year didn't live in Whitehawk.

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
I left VGSB 39 years ago and would struggle come up with more than one or two you might call posh. I certainly wasn't and the catchment area certainly included many from Woodingdean to Saltdean & Peacehaven. Many too from Patcham/Hollingbury. It certainly wasn'y elitist (although I'm ashamed to say we weren't discouraged from looking down on those apparent unfortunates who were consigned to Dorothy Stringer). And indeed the rivalry wasn't all that friendly either at times!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here