Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Brighton Rock (the film)

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
Don't 'do' black and white?

You have no idea what you are missing. Some excellent black and white films/tv programmes!!

That comment was slightly tongue in cheek(y). I think it was more that I was opposed to watching Brighton Rock, which, I have to admit, was an underwhelming experience.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
The other half forced me to sit through this last night (I don't do B&W films unless they're entitled The Titfield Thunderbolt or Schindler's List). My questions are:

Was The Four(?) Feathers an actual pub or just a set?

The Feathers used to be on Queens Road, where it splits into Surrey Street.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
The Feathers used to be on Queens Road, where it splits into Surrey Street.

Just down from the station. Looks like there is an office building in its place. This is where you have to cross over the road at the traffic lights at your peril when you've had a few beers.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
am i wrong in thinking the original film had a plot hole?

i was lefd to beleive the mods were coming darn from london, but scenes of the scootering along the race hill seems to imply their GPS was way out of synch?
There weren't any mods and rockers in Brighton Rock mate.;)

has anyone tried to work out the the routes taken in brighton in the film "Mona Lisa".

You think the routes will make sense? If they're anything like the chase in Tiger Bay (the first film appearance of both Hayley Mills and a young Lord Bracknell - but in a much smaller part than Ms Mills), they'll be totally chaotic. How a chase on foot can be set in Cardiff, yet feature a bit of Bristol and a run across Newport Transporter Bridge remains a mystery to this day. But if they hadn't turned up at the Transporter Bridge, I guess I would never have had the chance to be one of a group of small kids in the distant background.

... and in next week's programme ... how I declined the opportunity to appear in Franco Zeffirelli's less than brilliant Brother Sun, Sister Moon.

Alonso Moseley

Jun 16, 2008
Along the same lines I saw a very early episode of The Saint (Roger Moore) that was filmed in Brighton and they flipped about so much I was fair dizzy by the time he got the girl.

Didn't realise a remake was in the offing - that paragon of accuracy Wikipedia confirms that it will indeed be flipped into the '60's into the era of Mods and Rockers and that filming is scheduled to start in September. Should be interesting.

Love the film and the book - allegedly the Brighton Tourist board were upset at that the image of the town portrayed in the film which accounts for the "Mr Cholmondley Warner" spoken bit at the beginning trying to convince viewers that Brighton was a nice place really and all the gangsters had now been cleared up, or at least had moved to Croydon.

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
I regularly drink hot beverages from a lovely little mug, just like this one:

large__13_10_2005_13_27_brightonrock.jpg

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
#

Thats odd I was thinking about this at the weekend and was thinking to myself that a remake could work really well...did'nt realise there was one in the can already.

it was announced last week in the Cannes.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
I noticed the DVD was for sale in HMV for £5 if anyone fancies it.

wolfie

Jul 19, 2003
Warwickshire
Anyone old enough to remember the filming of "Oh What a Lovely War" around Brighton circa 1968 ? I recall a whole hillside in Ovingdean being covered in white crosses - just for the closing sequence and Sheepcote Valley Tip doubling for the trenches on the Western Front. Also saw filming taking place at the end of the West Pier. Super film too if a bit surreal.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here