Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Brighton must strengthen to be promoted - Ankergren

vulture

Banned
Jul 26, 2004
Casper Ankergren
Ankergren made 39 appearances for Leeds last season

Brighton and Hove Albion goalkeeper Casper Ankergren has said the club will need to strengthen their squad if they want to gain promotion from League One.

The 30-year-old Danish stopper was promoted with Leeds United last season before being released in the summer.

Ankergren told BBC Sussex: "It's extremely hard work and we'll need all the players to stick together.

"We've got some good players but we're going to need another two or three players if we want to challenge."

He added: "It won't be easy. You have to do the basic things right. Sometimes you don't play well and you have to get points out of those games.

"My personal goal is to be in the top six but it's a very tough league."

But Ankergren added that the whole set up at the south coast club is geared for a challenge for promotion to the Championship.

"With the quality we've got in this team, it seems the whole club wants to do more than settle in League One," he said.

"I think the club is getting ready for giving a good push to see if we can go up."

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Yep, we need a better goalie for a start. :thumbsup:

(not starting the argument again, just think it's ironic he's telling us we need strengthening!)

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Casper Ankergren
Ankergren made 39 appearances for Leeds last season

Brighton and Hove Albion goalkeeper Casper Ankergren has said the club will need to strengthen their squad if they want to gain promotion from League One.

The 30-year-old Danish stopper was promoted with Leeds United last season before being released in the summer.

Ankergren told BBC Sussex: "It's extremely hard work and we'll need all the players to stick together.

"We've got some good players but we're going to need another two or three players if we want to challenge."

He added: "It won't be easy. You have to do the basic things right. Like catch the f***ing ball! Sometimes you don't play well and you have to get points out of those games.

"My personal goal is to be in the top six but it's a very tough league."

But Ankergren added that the whole set up at the south coast club is geared for a challenge for promotion to the Championship.

"With the quality we've got in this team, it seems the whole club wants to do more than settle in League One," he said.

"I think the club is getting ready for giving a good push to see if we can go up."

Is he for real?

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Regular in a side that finished in top 6 last THREE YEARS RUNNING. Of course he's good enough. Ridiculous.

Scotty Mac

Jul 13, 2003
Regular in a side that finished in top 6 last THREE YEARS RUNNING. Of course he's good enough. Ridiculous.

regular because higgs spent most of last season injured

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
I never thought I'd see the day I was actually really looking forward to Dodgy Pete returning, but at the moment I hope he walks back in the team in a week or two.
At least between crazy errors he was generally good and inspired confidence in his defence.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
regular because higgs spent most of last season injured

And your point is? And what about the season before that? And the season before that? He's clearly good enough for the top end of League One, he has proven that 3 times now.

It really is childish the way we treat our "non-Kuipers" keepers. Properly playground stuff.

Scotty Mac

Jul 13, 2003
And your point is? And what about the season before that? And the season before that? He's clearly good enough for the top end of League One, he has proven that 3 times now.

It really is childish the way we treat our "non-Kuipers" keepers. Properly playground stuff.

i havent liked kuipers since around 2005, so its nothing to do with him not being black and dutch

my point is that they have replaced him - twice. he only played last season because higgs was out injured. once he came back into the side at the end as soon as he was fit, they got better and secured automatic

if he was that good, he a) wouldnt have been released by leeds, and b) wouldn't have been waiting until the eve of the new season to get a new team

ankergren's signing was merely an admission that poyet had ballsed up by signing poke - if brezovan hadn't have got injured he wouldnt be at this club. i think that tells you everything

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here