Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Brighton Marina - my first ever visit

Lush

Mods' Pet
Can hardly believe this myself, but yesterday I made my first EVER visit to Brighton Marina.

Showing my age here, but it was only really just being built when I was a yoof - and in any case there didn't ever seem to be a reason to get on a bus and trek up there when there was so much happening in Brighton.

Anyway yesterday marked my first ever trip (to see Lemony Snicket at the UGC Cinema) and - well it's a bit scuzzy isn't it? Sticky floors, loos with no doors, broken fittings - and that's just the cinema - the rest of the place looked a bit tired and grotty.

OK it was wet, blowing a gale, a dark January Sunday. Is it actually quite nice? was it OK but needs a face lift? Is it the equivalent of a soulless retail park that just happens to be by the sea?

Shall I bother going back?

Superseagull

Jul 8, 2003
I heard last year that the Cinema and multistory carpark where to be redeveloped and the access road into the marina improved. I think it is all part of the planning for the new tower blocks. When or if this will happen is anyones guess!

tinx

Jul 6, 2003
Horsham Town
I was ther eover christmas and it was nice and sunny altohugh quite cold but had a rather enjoyable afternoon there taking in the sea air and looking a tthe nice boats.

I don't go to that cinema there though cos it is well scummy.

SK1NT

Sep 9, 2003
Thames Ditton
i like it there! i went there to watch polar express just before christmas! had to wait 1 hour for the film to start so went to the bowling place over the rd.

I thinks its quite nice, better than the odeon!

Tom Bombadil

Jul 14, 2003
Jibrovia
The cinema's a bit dated now. The best multiplex in Sussex is the one in Crawley. We could really do with something like that in Brighton.

empire

Dec 1, 2003
dreamland
went to watch polar express yesterday,think the whole villager is good and makes a change not to see chavs everywhere

Deano's Right Foot

Jul 5, 2003
Barcombe
I've never seen the appeal of the Marina. I went a couple of years ago when they were building the latest "phase" of flats and shops, and it was a building site. Then I revisted it in December. While the terrace /walkway overlooking the boats is quite nice, the restaurants behind it are not my cup of tea. Overpriced and soulless. The shopping area behind it reminds me of Queen's Square in Crawley in the 1970s or the Elephant & Castle Shopping centre in the 1980s. The cinema has always been pretty dreadful.

Who actually lives there, or would want to live there? People who miss the yuppie 80s? They're welcome to it. Dreadful place in my book.

Lady Bracknell

Handbag at Dawn
Jul 5, 2003
The Metropolis
I guess it doesn't help that the first sight you get of the Marina from the approach road is a multi-storey car park. Closely followed by an uninspiring supermarket. But the whole place still looks like it's just been opened in a hurry and might be ready in a couple of years.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Horrible place only saved by the fact that it's got a drive through maccy d's. Only ever go therre when I'm feeling a bit pikey and feel like shopping at ASDA.

The cinema is disgusting.

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
It IS a bit soulless. As a family we go there a lot for the bowling and/or the cinema and I always feel that the whole development is an opportunity wasted and the overall atmosphere is not helped by the fact that you have to approach it through a dreadful Brutalist concrete interchange. It's great that their (appartently) thinking of re-developing it, maybe as part of the neighboring Black Rock development?

PS - Is there anything worse than going to one of the last daily showings of a family film, say the 7:30 one? The floor is just one sticky mess of partially dried spilt fizzy drink and dropped sweets.

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
It's a bit of a khazi really. Shame - it could be a really nice development if they provided it with an attraction or two that wasn't purely a shop or a bar - a nice old boat like in Greenwich, maybe. Or even another ferry service to France like they used to.

Having said that, a mate of mine got married in the Hotel Seattle down there in the summer and it was very nice - cool, modern stylish sort of place.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Anyone ever tried that Chinese restaurant on the boat along by Jacksons Wharf ? The Pagoda I think it is. Often wondered what its like on there, but I've not yet been brave enough to try it out.

Last edited:

D

Deleted User X18H

If you people don't like my town then I would suggest you find another team to jump on the bandwagon of.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
hove born&bred said:
If you people don't like my town then I would suggest you find another team to jump on the bandwagon of.

Your town? But you were born in HOVE?

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
ChapmansThe Saviour said:
Your town? But you were born in HOVE?
Yeah, stay out of our town you Hovie.

I know what's wrong with the Marina - it looks like those industrial units on the A23 in Croydon just before Ikea.

D

Deleted User X18H

As you may be aware I now reside in a not insubstantial property in central Brighton as some of us can afford to.

Attilio the Hun

Dec 14, 2004
Too close for comfort
When your nearest amenities are the Co-op, Lidl and Mama's Cafe on Whitehawk Road - the Marina is like St Tropez in comparison.

The floating Chinese place is best avoided, Easy 10. Very poor fare. Emperor of China on the boardwark bit is much better.

I like the Marina. But then I moved here via Penge, Bromley and Crawley.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here