Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Brighton Marathon - 18th April 2010.

Road marathons are always more expensive than cross country ones, as there will be road closures and the police need paying these days. It is also compulsory for police to be present for larger events.

It should be a great event and Sussex one and only road marathons.

We have several cross country marathons, but a quick, flat marathon around Brighton will be fab.

To say that you have been part of the first Brighton marathon, is something that you will always cherish.

xenophon

speed of life
Jul 11, 2009
BR8
To say that you have been part of the first Brighton marathon, is something that you will always cherish.

Absolutely, even if you hit the wall after 10 miles and come in post 5 hrs, YOU WERE THERE, end of

p.s. they're selling "Brighton Marathon 2010" t-shirts for £7.50 a pop on registration, it's all good.

xenophon

speed of life
Jul 11, 2009
BR8
course_map.jpg

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
I think I remember reading somewhere that there will be a seperate application for people who missed out on London

If you enter the Brighton one, and get accepted for London, then they will refund you the money and cancel your place in the Brighton one.

Absolutely, even if you hit the wall after 10 miles and come in post 5 hrs, YOU WERE THERE, end of

p.s. they're selling "Brighton Marathon 2010" t-shirts for £7.50 a pop on registration, it's all good.

Yes, I have already bought mine and have been runnning around the streets of Brighton & Hove in it. Well worth the money as unlike cheap tshirts that stick to you, this is a good quality one that wicks away the sweat

shoreham moonraker

Apr 11, 2009
anyone doing the 10k next week on hove lawns? i have that and then my first half marathon up at barnes green next month, slowly getting there, should be ready for april. f***ed if im going to get round in under 5 hours though.

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
anyone doing the 10k next week on hove lawns? i have that and then my first half marathon up at barnes green next month, slowly getting there, should be ready for april. f***ed if im going to get round in under 5 hours though.

Barns Green is quite hilly so be prepared. Fantastic Countryside to run in.

jordanseagull

Feb 11, 2009
Going to be a great event, can't wait.

My son wants to do it too, he's 16, but has the ol' fake id.

We'll get him doing it, can't see them being strict at ALL. After all, they do not ask for any ID when you buy your right to race.

Going to be a great event, can't wait.

My son wants to do it too, he's 16, but has the ol' fake id.

We'll get him doing it, can't see them being strict at ALL. After all, they do not ask for any ID when you buy your right to race.

In the uk you need to be 16 to run a 10k, 17 for a half marathon &. 18 for a marathon. Youngsters do not have the stamina, that's why 100 metre races are won by people at least 10 yes younger than a marathon

jordanseagull

Feb 11, 2009
In the uk you need to be 16 to run a 10k, 17 for a half marathon &. 18 for a marathon. Youngsters do not have the stamina, that's why 100 metre races are won by people at least 10 yes younger than a marathon

Can't agree, really. If an 80 year old can do it, a 16 year old can. He is very fit and is going to train hard - He isn't going for a time, just to compete. Not all of us are competitive :thumbsup: For me, it is just rewarding to say 'I have done a marathon.'

Main concern is, will everything be OK with the age with a dodgy ID?. Don't agree with that sort of thing but hey, who's it harming?

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Can't agree, really. If an 80 year old can do it, a 16 year old can. He is very fit and is going to train hard - He isn't going for a time, just to compete. Not all of us are competitive :thumbsup: For me, it is just rewarding to say 'I have done a marathon.'

Main concern is, will everything be OK with the age with a dodgy ID?. Don't agree with that sort of thing but hey, who's it harming?
I'm sure he could run 26 miles so I agree with you. However, I suspect there might be insurance implications with you lying about his age.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Surely far too close to London for anyone to take seriously (in time I mean)
Nah, loads of people who have already run London will be interested in this one.

I know plenty of seasoned marathon runners who have no interest in the London marathon at all any more, although personally I think running the London marathon is an experience *everyone* should try at least once! It's absolutely fantastic.

jordanseagull

Feb 11, 2009
I'm sure he could run 26 miles so I agree with you. However, I suspect there might be insurance implications with you lying about his age.

Indeed, not sure about it all.

But providing he doesn't break down and end up in hospital, I can't really see a problem! :smokin:

A 16 yr old may be fit but has little stamina. A 16 year old is still growing and the pounding of limbs over 4 or 5 hours, together with a minimum of 500 miles in training over the preceding 3 months, could be detrimant to his health. Insurance companies in the uk will not insure the under 18s. He will have many opportunities to run a marathon later in life. Let him do a 10k. He will sprint the first mile, all kids do & will finish well down the field as how many 16 year olds have ran that far. Don't be an iresponsible parent, please

jordanseagull

Feb 11, 2009
A 16 yr old may be fit but has little stamina. A 16 year old is still growing and the pounding of limbs over 4 or 5 hours, together with a minimum of 500 miles in training over the preceding 3 months, could be detrimant to his health. Insurance companies in the uk will not insure the under 18s. He will have many opportunities to run a marathon later in life. Let him do a 10k. He will sprint the first mile, all kids do & will finish well down the field as how many 16 year olds have ran that far. Don't be an iresponsible parent, please

I can see your point, I really can. However, and I wont mention his name, he does run a considerable amount as it is in long distance, and is currently 'on the books' of England Athletics. Also, after many marathons, do you train through just 3 months? Many i know do 6, maybe it is preference. In regards to sprinting the first mile, this wont happen. He's been racing for the last 6 or so years, the last year or 2 very seriously, so knows how to race and the limitations. However a 'serious' marathon isn't for him, just the taking part.

If an 80 year old can do it, and everyone congratulates them, I cannot see how a 16 year old doing it is any different at all.

Thanks for the kind words of advice though, not many would take time to care for an unknown person :clap:

I can see your point, I really can. However, and I wont mention his name, he does run a considerable amount as it is in long distance, and is currently 'on the books' of England Athletics. Also, after many marathons, do you train through just 3 months? Many i know do 6, maybe it is preference. In regards to sprinting the first mile, this wont happen. He's been racing for the last 6 or so years, the last year or 2 very seriously, so knows how to race and the limitations. However a 'serious' marathon isn't for him, just the taking part.

If an 80 year old can do it, and everyone congratulates them, I cannot see how a 16 year old doing it is any different at all.

Thanks for the kind words of advice though, not many would take time to care for an unknown person :clap:

Thanks for your kind comments. Basically, if you want to run a reasonable marathon time, i.e. under 5 hours, then you need to follow a 3 month training schedule. To get to week one, you need to be running at least 3 times a week, comfortably at 4 or 5 miles each. There are plenty of schedules around. Runners World is a good place.

I run up to 10 marathons a year, so my body just lurches from one to the next. However, you cannot race everyone. Even the top athletes such as Paula Radcliffe only ever have 5-10 marathons in them for record breaking attempts.

There are advantages of being a plodder!

Once again, if your son is keen, let him do 10k's. After all this is the most popular distance of all races. It is still more than 6 miles. Hardly a sprint.
He will have plenty of time to undertake distances that are further.

If you look after your body and with good health and luck, marathon runners can keep going until age 60 (albeit slowing down after 40). After 60 the number of marathon runners fall away sharply. There are very few above 80, and no-one , yet has ever completed one at age 100!!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here