Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Brighton looking at Stevenage striker Craig Reid (merged)...

ees complicated no?

Apr 3, 2011
Hove, United Kingdom
he was quick, and awkward for defenders to tag onto him, i.e. he lost his markers quite well. He gets in the right place at the right time.

We all know to well that does not mean nothing in this league, I mean look at CMS he can very rarely work his magic because of defenders at this level!!!

I do not think we can risk spending pointless money on flops any more we neeed proven, experienced players at this or prem level not someone who has played at very low divisions

Foolg

Apr 23, 2007
That's more than Reading paid for Le Fondre, 6 goals in 33 games is far from impressive. Would want more than that for 400k.

wallyback

Jun 22, 2011
Brighton
I quickly scanned it. Obviously too quickly

Jul 5, 2003
Bristol
This is a strange one. Reading have just signed Le Fondre, West Ham Baldock, and they already have enough strikers. Hoskins can't get in our team. Yet we're all looking at a journeyman striker whose scoring record is far from impressive. He's not young, or big, or renowned for being particularly quick...
Very odd, and 400k??

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
On the plus side, Craig Mackail-Smith and Aaron McLean were both signed by a Football League club from non league sides, and neither have been too shabby since then...

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Havent we had our share of non league to league strikers who have failed, Dixon ,Holdroyd, Elder, Fleetwood etc. The last one who made good from non league was Peter Ward or Gerry Fell I would guess.

No, the last one you could consider a 'success' was Alex Revell. Signed for £8k, scored a few goals , then left 18 months later for £150k. Made a decent contribution, and left for a huge (%) profit. A successful buy by any criteria.

We also turned a 250% profit on Elder - signed for £10k, sold for £35k. These figures are small, granted, but look at it this way - the money we recouped from Revell and Elder, will have paid for not just those two, but Dixon, Holroyd and Fleetwood too (don't actually think we ever owned Fleetwood anyway). Worthwhile gamble. If one turns out to be great (eg CMS, McLean, DJ Campbell, Beckford) then you're quids in.

Saying all that, £400k represents a pretty sizeable gamble. the figure is presumably bullshit anyway.

Last edited:

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
What we need is someone who can support CMS and give him good service. If he's the type of player that can hold the ball up so CMS can play off him then fine.

Absolutely right magoo, what we need is a new Ian Mellor, someone to support CMS who is much more a Peter Ward type of player. CMS is a finisher not a traget man, a goal scorer in the mould of Greaves and Lineker. If someone else was able to win the ball for him, he would have the opportunity to score even more goals.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
No, the last one you could consider a 'success' was Alex Revell. Signed for £8k, scored a few goals , then left 18 months later for £150k. Made a decent contribution, and left for a huge (%) profit. A successful buy by any criteria.

Agreed, Robert Codner and Nicky Bissett too were successes, and we signed both of them from Barnet. We signed Eric Young from Slough and he did well for us too, appearing in an FA Cup Final and being a £1m player after leaving the Albion.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Agreed, Robert Codner and Nicky Bissett too were successes, and we signed both of them from Barnet. We signed Eric Young from Slough and he did well for us too, appearing in an FA Cup Final and being a £1m player after leaving the Albion.

Codner and Bissett were huge buys - £115k each?? Massive figures at the time, for non league players. Just as well they turned out well.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Codner and Bissett were huge buys - £115k each?? Massive figures at the time, for non league players. Just as well they turned out well.

Agree on the fee, but as players they were still successful. Nicky Bissett was a quality centre half, although I had the misfortune to see the end of his career when the ANIMAL Duncan Shearer broke his leg in the worst tackle I have seen when we played at Swindon in a 2-1 victory.

Codner, although enigmatic and a player who never achieved his potential, was still a major contributor to our midfield in the late 80's/early 90's/

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here