Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Brighton looking at Stevenage striker Craig Reid (merged)...

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
*small piece in the Sun this morning..*.

Brighton are battling it out with Reading for £400,000 Stevenage striker Craig Reid.

Ex Coventry trainee Reid, 25, has also been looked at by West Ham.

He has hit six goals in 33 games for Boro since joining from Newport County in January.

NSC's Superphil was his shirt sponsor when he played for Newport County.

A very good striker at the level that he has played - 66 goals in 112 games for Newport is impressive.

Called Craig. That counts for something in Gus's eyes. Obviously.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Havent we had our share of non league to league strikers who have failed, Dixon ,Holdroyd, Elder, Fleetwood etc. The last one who made good from non league was Peter Ward or Gerry Fell I would guess.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Is he a target man?

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Hmm. A Coventry reject who was good at Conference level but has struggled in Division Four (old money). I must admit I had to check the date of this thread to make sure it wasn't dated about 2007.

magoo

Jul 8, 2003
United Kingdom
What we need is someone who can support CMS and give him good service. If he's the type of player that can hold the ball up so CMS can play off him then fine.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Reid signed for Conference National side Grays Athletic on a short-term deal in August 2008, and made three appearances for the Essex based club before being loaned out to Newport County.

Grays got shut of the fella for jebus sake No Gus No

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
NSC's Superphil was his shirt sponsor when he played for Newport County.

A very good striker at the level that he has played - 66 goals in 112 games for Newport is impressive.

Called Craig. That counts for something in Gus's eyes. Obviously.

He was quite stunning for Newport County, Craig finished the 2009-10 season as Conference South top scorer with 24 goals, Newport were crowned champions with a record 103 points, 28 points ahead of second placed Dover Athletic. Stevenage took him into league football, and by all accounts he's doing well with them. I think it would be a hell of a step up to come to us though, I could give him a ring and ask him if it's true, or likely to happen.

stss30

Apr 24, 2008
From Stevenage forum

1)£400,000?

I'd take that.

2)I'd take £400. :)

3)Perhaps they might read the line "he has hit 6 goals in 33 appearances since joining from Newport" they might then have 2nd thoughts.

Saying that it is the sun so doubt brighton or west ham have ever even heard of him.

4)Take the money and run, run like the wind and never look back.

5)i think reid is under rated i think his all round game does need work and yes his scoring record for us isn't great but he give us a different up front to some of our other strikers.

i have read several times in the last month about reading being after him and i also think they might possibly see him as some body in the mold of a doyle and long.

he needs to improve his game and i think reading's style will suit reid better than our style of football.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
good idea - out of interest what can you tell us about his playing style?

I only saw him play 3 or 4 times, he was quick, and awkward for defenders to tag onto him, i.e. he lost his markers quite well. He gets in the right place at the right time, I guess some call it a poaching style, think I saw him score a couple of tap-ins. He is also regarded as being quite handsome by the missus!

As for phoning him, there was no answer so I have dropped him an email, will let you know what his reply is.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here