Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Brighton Liverpool FA Cup 1984

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003

Nope we played them the year after at the Goldstone in the cup.

The video above is an in house training video done by Liverpool. That's the only footage (apart from some limited film footage) because there was a BBC camera man strike on at the time.

The above video has only surfaced relatively recently.

The Goldstone game was amazing, and is definitely floating around on the web somewhere because I've seen it.

Goals by Conner and Ryan ?

Amazing game and and happy to say I was there. We were knocked out (I think) by Watford in the next round, I game I also attended and a great disappointment after the previous round.

Last edited:

The Goldstone game was amazing, and is definitely floating around on the web somewhere because I've seen it.

Amazing game and and happy to say I was there. We were knocked out (I think) by Watford in the next round, I game I also attended and a great disappointment after the previous round.

Many on here will have a VHS (or even Betamax!) copy of the whole game; watched it at Kirkby-in-Ashfield on BBC live, from memory.
I went down to Watford ticketless, ended up watching part of the match from the top of huge advertising boards overlooking the open end!

Feb 2, 2007
Japan
Many on here will have a VHS (or even Betamax!) copy of the whole game; watched it at Kirkby-in-Ashfield on BBC live, from memory.

That's funny I could have sworn it was on the Big Match on ITV with Brian Moore commentating. In fact didn't the Albion or the tv station post programmes out to fans that couldn't make it to the game ahead of the match to make it feel even more ''live'' while watching the box. Or maybe I am going mad.

I have the whole of the 2-2 draw away to Liverpool in 1990/91 season on a mint condition VHS bought from the club shop but there is no commentary on it. Marvellous scenes with man-of-the-match Johnny Crumplin saluting around 5,000 Albion fans screaming ''Football Genius'' at the end.Arguably the best away trip I have ever had.

Was thinking of selling it on Ebay. Reckon it would attract any buyers?

Merseyside Seagull

Dec 18, 2003
Wirral
The 1984 match v Liverpool at the Goldstone was indeed live on ITV on a Sunday at the end of January, and I have it on VHS.

The 1991 match at Anfield was also available on video minus commentary from the club.

Marvelous memeories:clap2:

I also have the semi final at Highbury on VHS and DVD if anyone wants a copy.

BRIGHT ON Q

Jul 5, 2003
Ive still got it on video,love watching the North stand go absolutely mental when connor curls in the second.:bowdown:

FamilyGuy

Jul 8, 2003
Crawley
The Goldstone game was amazing ......

What he said - great game, great goals, followed by great disapointment against Watford - who then went on to win the Cup, so we lost out to the eventual winners

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
What he said - great game, great goals, followed by great disapointment against Watford - who then went on to win the Cup, so we lost out to the eventual winners

No they didn't, they lost to Everton in the final 1-0 when Andy Gray headed the ball out of the keeper's hands

bristolseagull

Jul 5, 2003
Lindfield
Nope we played them the year after at the Goldstone in the cup.

The video above is an in house training video done by Liverpool. That's the only footage (apart from some limited film footage) because there was a BBC camera man strike on at the time.

The above video has only surfaced relatively recently.

i used to have the game on VHS, we scored wice in quick succession right?

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
I went down to Watford ticketless, ended up watching part of the match from the top of huge advertising boards overlooking the open end!

Yeah - I think my brother has a copy somewhere, copied from the Original Betamax.

I seem to recall the game was posted on Google Videos originally a couple of years ago.

1050536625.jpg

FA Cup Final 1984
19 May, 1984
EVERTON 2-0 Watford
Wembley Stadium
FA Cup Final
Attendance: 100,000

Everton's second Wembley appearance in just under a month was against Graham Taylor's Watford side in the FA Cup final. Having seen the Milk Cup go by the wayside, Howard Kendall's men were determined to ensure that Watford chairman, Elton John would be singing the Blues come 4.45pm.

Everton started the match as favourites but everybody knew that it meant nothing in this game.

Graham Taylor had assembled a largely inexperienced and unknown side but had them playing his trademark style of football, which was both simple and effective. They held out against their superior opponents for long periods of the first half without ever looking overly troubled by the men from Merseyside.

John Barnes had a golden opportunity inside the first three minutes when George Riley flicked on Lee Sinnott's massive throw. With only Neville Southall to beat the forward miscued his shot and the chance was gone. Everton had large spells of possession but had few clear-cut chances with Reid and Richardson industrious in the Toffees' midfield, whilst Ratcliffe and Mountfield were rarely troubled at the back.

Lee Taylor saw a 25-yard drive deflected just wide of the post by John Bailey's leg and Mo Johnston, who was later to play for the Blues, went close with a header, but it was Everton who took the initiative. First Graeme Sharp had a good chance heading Trevor Steven's pinpoint cross fractionally wide and then Kevin Richardson hit the side netting with another opportunity for the Blues.

Finally Everton got the breakthrough that their domination had deserved as Kevin Richardson hooked what looked like a hopeful cross in from the left. The Watford defenders looked on thinking that there was no danger but Gary Stevens pounced to fire a low, hard shot into the box. His shot-come-pass landed at the feet of Graeme Sharp and he stopped the ball dead before turning to lash the ball past the despairing Sherwood to put the Blues one up.

With Watford unable to break down the Blues' defence it was Everton who went in a goal up at half time but one always felt that they still had a little left in reserve if their North London opponents had stepped up a gear. John Barnes was Watford's most potent attacking force but he was being given little room on the left wing, his threat being snuffed out by the athletic Gary Stevens.

Six minutes after the interval the game was as good as over when Andy Gray scored what some thought to be a controversial second. Trevor Steven was the architect, looping a superb cross in from the right-hand side and Gray rose superbly to head home into the unguarded net. Sherwood had come out to claim the ball but could only throw his hands towards Gray's head. Gray's head reached the ball just before Sherwood's hands and Everton were two goals to the good.

The Watford players and especially Sherwood looked in vain at the referee waiting for him to blow up for a foul, but Mr Hunting had seen no offence and so the goal was given. This seemed to knock the stuffing out of the Watford side and Everton were rarely troubled for the remainder of the game. In fact Everton could have added to their tally on a couple of occasions with both Gray and Sharp having chances to add a third.

A memorable day ended for the Blues with Kevin Ratcliffe making his way up to collect the trophy as he received a terrific reception from the Evertonians. It was the start of a very special era in Goodison folklore with practically that entire team going on to bigger and better things some twelve months later.

thedonkeycentrehalf

Moved back to wear the gloves (again)
Jul 7, 2003
The ITV coverage of this was on one of the DVDs that TGC was selling on here a few years ago to raise money for the club. A highlight for me was listening to Big Ron criticising Alan Hansen for poor defending:laugh:

Big G

Dec 14, 2005
Brighton
Was going through some old memorabilia the other night and found the programme for this game. Could'nt find anything on youtube.
Was in the South stand but can still see Connor curling the ball around Brucie into the goal in front of the North stand to make it 2 -1.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here