Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Brighton is now second!

D

Deleted User X18H

I have. :down:

Without reading that report, I guess this is about managing expectations and knowing that you're going to a certain place for a certain sort of entertainment. Don't go to Blackpool if you want a Brighton-type experience, and vice-versa.

The only real things that Brighton has in common with Blackpool is that both are next to the sea, and so the two get lumped in that basket almost every time, even though the two are miles apart socially.

I think it's more appropriate to compare (or at least try and compare) Brighton with, say, Bristol or Norwich.

Have you been to Eastbourne?

Mr Everyone

Jan 12, 2008
Long Eaton
We should all be happy with second spot, it will keep the Mancs/Scouse/Jocks going to Blackpool!

Seriously the major downfall to our jewel-by-the-sea is the cost of parking.

It's all subjective though really isn't it? Tastes differ; I loved Brighton before it became all Citified and trendy. I find the town a complete turn-off during the weekends in the summer months. The Londoners really do love it though..

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
Don't really consider Brighton to be a 'seaside resort' as such.More like Little London by the sea.Good in parts and bad in parts and both places make it difficult for cars!
My favourite large seaside town is Bournemouth.....lived there for 3 years and despite its misleading reputation in the past of just being full of old people its a great place!

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
I think it's more appropriate to compare (or at least try and compare) Brighton with, say, Bristol or Norwich.

seriously? brighton is nothing like either, but is very liike blackpool. not only in history and just on top show but the seaside resort culture in terms of how it affects locals is very similar. how you consider an ancient city and one of britains great ports to have more in common than another big seaside resort is staggering.

i know you will think i am being thick and not understanding that theres more to your comparison than that, and what you mean is demographics, culture, politics and outlook, but thats a lot of wishful thinking. blackpool is more working class and brighton is more cosmopolitan but at the end of the day emperors new clothes and wishful thinking will only get you so far.

Like it or not blackpool is just a northern brighton. brighton has reinvented itself better but west street on a bank holiday weekend night the only difference from blackpool is the accents. at the end of the day they are far more similar than different.

i know you are well clued up on brighton TLO it always surprises me that you fall into this emperors new clothes mentality so easily.

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
the saddest thing about this thread is when i saw it i thought it was going to be about drug deaths.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
seriously? brighton is nothing like either, but is very liike blackpool. not only in history and just on top show but the seaside resort culture in terms of how it affects locals is very similar. how you consider an ancient city and one of britains great ports to have more in common than another big seaside resort is staggering.

i know you will think i am being thick and not understanding that theres more to your comparison than that, and what you mean is demographics, culture, politics and outlook, but thats a lot of wishful thinking. blackpool is more working class and brighton is more cosmopolitan but at the end of the day emperors new clothes and wishful thinking will only get you so far.

Like it or not blackpool is just a northern brighton. brighton has reinvented itself better but west street on a bank holiday weekend night the only difference from blackpool is the accents. at the end of the day they are far more similar than different.

i know you are well clued up on brighton TLO it always surprises me that you fall into this emperors new clothes mentality so easily.

Historically, Brighton and Blackpool have had similar histories up to a given point. When that point was is up for debate - I'd make a case for saying the late 1980 / early 1990s.

However, Brighton HAS moved on. It was never going to survive as merely another seaside resort, so has re-invented itself from the - let's face it - toilet it was 20 years ago. And it's what it has re-invented itself into (your 'emperor's new clothes') that I suspect bugs you - it's something that holds nothing for you, therefore you dismiss it. Or maybe it's the fact that it has tried to re-invent itself at all that bugs you - I don't know.

You cite one example (West Street at the weekends) of Brighton as being like anywhere else - but that's missing the point. It's not what Brighton has compared to what everywhere else has - it's what Brighton has that other places don't have. My point is that the difference is not necessarily tangible.

It's about what 'feels' right. You don't like it (it's been well documented on here often enough by you), others, including myself in the main, do. Not every aspect, of course, but then I'm in a position to pick and choose.

So yes, a comparison with Bristol and Norwich - two places that have had a bit of a makeover in the past 20 years is not unreasonable. Comparing it with Blackpool is, for me, folly.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
I see3 TLO and HB&B have hijacked another thread....turn it in.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here