Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Brighton & Hove to get its own TV station?

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Culture Secretary Jeremy Hunt has unveiled 20 UK towns and cities which are expected to get their own local TV stations.

The first 'pioneer' areas include Belfast, Brighton and Hove, Cardiff, Glasgow, Grimsby, London, Liverpool, Manchester, Newcastle and Swansea. The locations were whittled down from 65 towns and cities which applied earlier this year. The government hopes to license the first local stations from summer 2012.

"I am confident these new stations will provide local communities with programming which is relevant to their daily lives, will support local democracy, boost the big society and enhance local communities," said Mr Hunt.

The other areas included are Birmingham, Bristol, Edinburgh, Leeds, Norwich, Nottingham, Oxford, Plymouth, Preston and Southampton. The towns and cities earmarked were chosen by media watchdog Ofcom, which examined the interest from potential operators and local audiences, as well as ensuring the projects were technically viable.

Ofcom will now begin a further consultation on those areas, starting at the end of next week. The process is expected to take between eight and 12 weeks, after which the licences will be awarded.

A further 24 areas have been identified for a future round of licensing, four in Scotland - Aberdeen, Ayr, Dundee and Inverness. In Northern Ireland - Bangor, Londonderry and Limavady. Mold in Wales and in England - Barnstaple, Basingstoke, Bedford, Cambridge, Carlisle, Guildford, Hereford, Kidderminster, Luton, Maidstone, Malvern, Salisbury, Sheffield, Stoke on Trent, Stratford upon Avon and York.

Legislation enabling the stations to be set up has still to be passed, but this is expected to be laid down shortly. The BBC licence fee will finance some start-up costs, but advertising is likely to fund the services.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
The BBC have proved that they cannot run a viable local radio station and are now streamlining programs to save money so how can anybody expect to do this for a TV station. This was tried in many areas in the 70s and companies folded and closed the service because they couldnt cover their expenditure with advertising so what has changed now.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
The BBC have proved that they cannot run a viable local radio station and are now streamlining programs to save money so how can anybody expect to do this for a TV station.

Does the OP link specify the BBC will provide the TV station coverage though? Doesn't read that way to me. Especially as 'advertising is likely to fund the services'. Personally I'd be happy for ANY improvement to the current service that places B&H and the wider Sussex catchment area as the centre of things rather than as a far-flung outpost of the Hampshire and Kent services.

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
The BBC have proved that they cannot run a viable local radio station and are now streamlining programs to save money so how can anybody expect to do this for a TV station. This was tried in many areas in the 70s and companies folded and closed the service because they couldnt cover their expenditure with advertising so what has changed now.

Don't I remember a local station in Kent somewhere recently that closed down, mainly because no-one knew it existed.

Jul 20, 2003
Oh good, this will no doubt be an invaluable medium for finding out what Peter Jarettee has for breakfast

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
When I was at uni in York I used to be able to pick up York TV, I think it closed down a couple of years ago though. It was truly awful, naff "panel" shows and loads of "handy" DIY tips and tricks. Hopefully Brighton will be able to do a little better but I won't be holding my breath.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
A big NO. This will be awful.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Does the OP link specify the BBC will provide the TV station coverage though? Doesn't read that way to me. Especially as 'advertising is likely to fund the services'. Personally I'd be happy for ANY improvement to the current service that places B&H and the wider Sussex catchment area as the centre of things rather than as a far-flung outpost of the Hampshire and Kent services.

It said that license money may go towards the set up but if the BBC with their funding etc cant make a go of the local radio how can a private company expect to finance and provide a TV service .

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Please don't let HB&B be the roving reporter :facepalm:

Good news for tv repair men though. They'll be on constant call to repair screens which have been punched in.

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
If we have local news, we need a Anchorman like Ron Burgandy.

'Im Ron Burgandy, f*** you Brighton and Hove.'

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
You lucky bugger, we get Gillingham, Rochester and Strood over here

My mum lives near Gillingham. She often phones me up and asks if I'm watching the Brighton news. I never am. I'm usually watching something about somebody vandalising ponies in Romsey, wherever that is.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
You're alright but I've got Crap Town TV to look forward to :cry:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here