Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Brighton & Hove pavements make today’s Times

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Problem is if you don't have a garden you probably won't own any gardening equipment so can't sort it out for yourself,

Shame on you if you don’t own an old screwdriver or knife. Or perhaps get the butler to do it!! 😀

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
Is the main issue here not less to do with whether a council is "progressive" or not, but more to do with the massive cuts to local authorities central funding through the austerity era.

Our towns and cities looking scruffier as well as having fewer amenities is just an obvious consequence of that

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
No it hasn't ffs.

Agree - it's certainly not a shi*hole - but it does look tired, grubby and dirty - rubbish collection and recycling rates in particular are well, rubbish (considering there's a majority of Green Councillors and a Green MP)

Far too much 'meaningless' graffiti (tags) as well.(there is some good graffiti too)

BN41Albion

Oct 1, 2017
i live in central hove and drive around hove quite a bit. Some streets look like some dystopian version of the future where humans no longer exist and nature has taken back control of the city. I spoke to the leader of the council recently about it and, to be fair, he was well aware of the issue. The issue being that that the committee that deals with such issues banned use of herbicides without having any alternative. Vast swathes of Hove look ****ing awful as a consequence. No doubt other parts of the City aswell.

What is he doing about it - clearly **** all. Although now its in the national press, some action may follow.

poor planning, poor management and a general indictment of the quality of people we elect and employ to manage our City.

The issue really, really isn't anywhere near as bad as you're making out. I walk loads around Hove.

BN41Albion

Oct 1, 2017
Agree - it's certainly not a shi*hole - but it does look tired, grubby and dirty - rubbish collection and recycling rates in particular are well, rubbish (considering there's a majority of Green Councillors and a Green MP)

Far too much 'meaningless' graffiti (tags) as well.(there is some good graffiti too)

Well we had friends down recently visiting and spent time in North Laine/the lanes, central/West Hove, 7 dials, Hove Park and around there, Preston Park, along the coast etc. They thought the city was absolutely brilliant and were very jealous not to live here. So there you go. Yeah bits could be better (I agree with bins and recycling - esp lately) but there are so many brilliant areas to the city that look anything but tired/grubby/run down, even aside from those I mentioned above.

Oscar

Nov 10, 2003
Weeds in Hove is an improvement on all the dog shit all over the place there. No doubt it's left by all those Londoners in their dry-robes who have moved down here to walk their prized pooches. :fishing:

As for Brighton and Hove in general, I do feel a little ashamed at just how rough it looks. Parts of the seafront (the Madeira Drive arches especially) are an embarrassment. The town centre is tired and abandoned and, as much as it pains me to say it, so poor in relation to places like Eastbourne town centre. The gateway to the city by road (up to Preston Circus and Ditchling Road is also disgustingly rundown.

I spent my Sunday morning clearing weeds from outside my house. I stopped short of clearing any further into the gutter, across the road or around the long line of overflowing bins which have been left for weeks now.

gazingdown

Feb 26, 2011

Aren't all those things partly what define a sh*thole?

HantsSeagull

Aug 17, 2011
Caught in a Riptide
The issue really, really isn't anywhere near as bad as you're making out. I walk loads around Hove.

i beg to differ - some residential roads are very bad indeed. not all by any means but enough. Otherwise, i and many others on this thread wouldnt have noticed. And neither would there be two articles in the main stream press.

BN41Albion

Oct 1, 2017
Weeds in Hove is an improvement on all the dog shit all over the place there. No doubt it's left by all those Londoners in their dry-robes who have moved down here to walk their prized pooches. :fishing:

As for Brighton and Hove in general, I do feel a little ashamed at just how rough it looks. Parts of the seafront (the Madeira Drive arches especially) are an embarrassment. The town centre is tired and abandoned and, as much as it pains me to say it, so poor in relation to places like Eastbourne town centre. The gateway to the city by road (up to Preston Circus and Ditchling Road is also disgustingly rundown.

I spent my Sunday morning clearing weeds from outside my house. I stopped short of clearing any further into the gutter, across the road or around the long line of overflowing bins which have been left for weeks now.

How on earth anyone can describe the town centre as tired and abandoned is beyond me.

Madeira Drive granted, but the coast of the city is 3ish miles long and lots of it is great too. And there's far more going on down Madeira Drive than when I was a kid, too. It's clearly up and coming (albeit slowly re the arches, but still).

Everyone obviously sees the city differently, but it really amazes me that anyone can define it as tired and scruffy etc in its entirety. Parts yeah, just like any city its size.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
How on earth anyone can describe the town centre as tired and abandoned is beyond me.

Madeira Drive granted, but the coast of the city is 3ish miles long and lots of it is great too. And there's far more going on down Madeira Drive than when I was a kid, too. It's clearly up and coming (albeit slowly re the arches, but still).

Everyone obviously sees the city differently, but it really amazes me that anyone can define it as tired and scruffy etc in its entirety. Parts yeah, just like any city its size.

I've always loved Brighton and Hove. But in the 70's and into the 80's it was rundown, amenities that didn't work, the beach was just a couple of violent pubs and deserted in the evening, an empty furniture shop (Courts), hotels in need of big refurbishment, the West Pier abandoned as Brighton Town Council didn't have a penny to its name. Peter Pans was the extent of anything east of the Palace Pier, a mile of nothing but shingle. The rear half of the old Churchill Square was a planning disaster, a huge architectural blunder ..... completely empty bar the odd struggling shop. All very typical of coastal resorts post-war as millions flocked to the Med instead, also due to austerity because the UK was bust from WW2 and from hopeless governments of all colours.

Some other resorts have simply never recovered such as Hastings.

Today, along the boardwalk thousands flock each day, tons of bars and restaurants, The Lanes have expanded twice, hotels and guest houses refurnisbed, young folk from the country visit for weekends.

I love the city. We have various neighbours who've moved here from elsewhere, some fell in love with the place during their uni days and have finally made it their home.

BN41Albion

Oct 1, 2017
I've always loved Brighton and Hove. But in the 70's and into the 80's it was rundown, amenities that didn't work, the beach was just a couple of violent pubs and deserted in the evening, an empty furniture shop (Courts), hotels in need of big refurbishment, the West Pier abandoned as Brighton Town Council didn't have a penny to its name. Peter Pans was the extent of anything east of the Palace Pier, a mile of nothing but shingle. The rear half of the old Churchill Square was a planning disaster, a huge architectural blunder ..... completely empty bar the odd struggling shop. All very typical of coastal resorts post-war as millions flocked to the Med instead, also due to austerity because the UK was bust from WW2 and from hopeless governments of all colours.

Some other resorts have simply never recovered such as Hastings.

Today, along the boardwalk thousands flock each day, tons of bars and restaurants, The Lanes have expanded twice, hotels and guest houses refurnisbed, young folk from the country visit for weekends.

I love the city. We have various neighbours who've moved here from elsewhere, some fell in love with the place during their uni days and have finally made it their home.

100% agree. I grew up in the 80s. What I find find most amazing is that most of those who moan about the 'state' of the city will be those who lived through those times too. Rose tinted specs and then some.

Also, areas like The Level down Valley Gardens. That whole area is so much nicer than I ever remember and actually quite plesent to walk around now for the first time in my life since the work begun rejuvinating the area. Will be great once it's all done.

Glad I'm not the only one who thinks theres loads to celebrate about the city and all the unique areas dotted all over!

Having said that, the day the Odeon and Brighton Centre buildings get knocked down will be a joy to behold!! :D

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
100% agree. I grew up in the 80s. What I find find most amazing is that most of those who moan about the 'state' of the city will be those who lived through those times too. Rose tinted specs and then some.

Also, areas like The Level down Valley Gardens. That whole area is so much nicer than I ever remember and actually quite plesent to walk around now for the first time in my life since the work begun rejuvinating the area. Will be great once it's all done.

Glad I'm not the only one who thinks theres loads to celebrate about the city and all the unique areas dotted all over!

You have to note where the bitching comes from.

Many of those who try to mock Brighton and Hove, you see it in Argus comments on similar threads, seem to be old gits who claim to live in Lancing, Worthing, Goring, Eastbourne or Hastings.

Work that one out.

You get jealousy from some in a certain demographic of young folk or the open-minded having the time of their lives in a vibrant city.

Monkey Man

Your support is not that great
Jan 30, 2005
Neither here nor there
Weedkillers are horrible. We don't need those chemicals in the earth. There are lots of better ways to remove problematic weeds – and the ones that aren't causing pensioners to break their necks can often be surprisingly beautiful and useful for wildlife. Maybe we should try to enjoy them.

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
Ⓩ-Ⓐ-Ⓜ-Ⓞ-Ⓡ-Ⓐ;9978242 said:
I walk at least an hour around the central Hove area every day with my 1 year old in a pushchair and have absolutely no problems with any of the pavements, they're absolutely fine. :shrug:

Do try the block around the Trinity Medical Centre (Goldstone Villas/Blatchington Road/Denmark Villas) - it’s just one wonderful roller coaster for anyone in a wheelchair. Don’t forget your seatbelt.

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
The issue will be discussed on Jeremy Vine's show at noon today (although I believe Vanessa Feltz is covering Vine this week)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here