Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Brighton & Hove Music Groups

Chicken Runner61

We stand where we want!
May 20, 2007
Rocky Sharp & the Replays

Darts (used to go to Newman - well De la Salle as was)

The Mobiles (from eastbourne) my mate played Keyboard was from Brighton

The Dodgems (not that famous but good)

One of the Cure Drummers was from Brighton

And my mate Doug plays lead for Saxon!

Best Brighton band I saw was Voluntary Sector but they never made it:cry:

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
don't forget Leo Sayer (Shoreham) and the unforgettable The Taverners

If you're expanding the definition of Brighton. Ed Harcourt is from Lewes and Keith Emerson, from ELP, was brought up in Worthing.

I believe folk singer Shirley Collins also lives in Lewes - she's certainly from East Sussex.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Ta

When you say Pere Ubu, do you mean David Thomas, the singer? I believe he is UK-based now?

I think the Amazorblades (sp?), some of whom became the 3 Mustaphas 3, came from Brighton too.

Yep. In the same way that M.E.S. is the Fall.

The Modfather

Dec 13, 2009
Ibiza to the Norfolk Broads
Steve Craddock from Ocean Colour Scene, and Weller right hand man lived in Brighton for a couple of years.

Turncoat.

The Upper Room.

The Popguns

The Others

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro
Fischer-Z, I believe (John Watts, at least).

If you're expanding the definition of Brighton. Ed Harcourt is from Lewes and Keith Emerson, from ELP, was brought up in Worthing.

I believe folk singer Shirley Collins also lives in Lewes - she's certainly from East Sussex.
She now lives in Lewes, but is originally from Hastings.

"Shirley Collins is without doubt one of England's greatest cultural treasures." - Billy Bragg

fataddick

Feb 6, 2004
The seaside.
All these names, yet no-one has yet mentioned Brighton's two greatest music acts, Paul McCartney and Seagulls Ska. Tsk.

Pretty much everyone has lived in Brighton at one time or another (Noel Gallagher had a flat in Sussex Square for much of the late 90s though I doubt he ever visited it), I like the casual mention of the awesome Bobby McGee's in an earlier post though. If one out of them, Bitter Ruin, Sweet Sweet Lies, The Indelicates and Birdeatsbaby (all Brighton bands) doesn't become properly famous in the next two years I'll eat my own poo.

PS On a musical note (ha!), surprised that no-one on the various FA Cup threads has mentioned that Woking (described as "a tiny village" by one - population 90k the same as eastbourne ffs) was home to The Jam, so some lazy tabloids might well pitch the game as a "Mod cup clash" or similar.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Pere Ubu lives down on the seafront near the King Alfred (next door to one of my best friends). Kevin Rowland also lives (lived) here

A few more that I thought of

Huggy Bear
Freemasons
Wreckless Eric
Pipettes
80s Matchbox B-Line disaster
The Lambrettas
Clearlake
Blood Red Shoes
Phats and Small
Electric Soft Parade
The Brakes
Pookiesnackenburger - then Stomp
Euchrid Eucrow (dubbo if they are still going but I've got a brilliant EP of theirs)
The Bobby McGees

My mate who used to be in 1000 yard stare lives here as does a few members of Sigur Ros and the first album I ever owned - The Amazing Darts had a strong Brighton connection

ha ha ha, i loved 1000 yard stare! in fact a yellow pressing of one of their records (can't remember which as it is facing inwards) and a clear pressing of the spindrift e.p made it onto my record wall.

les dynam

Oct 10, 2008
Hove
Steve Craddock from Ocean Colour Scene, and Weller right hand man lived in Brighton for a couple of years.

Turncoat.

The Upper Room.

The Popguns

The Others

The Popguns - they were a great little band. Thanks for reminding me of them!

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Darts (used to go to Newman - well De la Salle as was)

NSC's own 'Hornblower' was the saxophone player from The Darts and comes from Lancing.

Also from Lancing is Chris Payne who was the keyboard player for, amongst others, Gary Numan and Dead or Alive. Also co-wrote (along with Billy Currie and Midge Ure from Ultravox) the 80s hit 'Fade to Grey'

Was not Was

Loitering with intent
Jul 31, 2003
Why has no-one mentioned Electrelane? :tantrum:
Brighton's finest.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here